What went wrong today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What went wrong today

Not quite the confluence of shit that happened in the Giants game but we really made some stupid mistakes:

1) clock management by Reid
    2) Ryan Moats is a moron
    3) Punt coverage team needs to figure out where the fuck the ball is
    4) JJ got beaten by a punk
    5) emotional letdown as expected. Trot said there were too many veterans to let it happen. Guess he was wrong.

anything else?

no, pretty much sums it up

Comment

Way too passive on the defensive side of the ball.

Boneheaded offensive penalties (including the questionable R Brown holding call) that put them in long yardage situations or killed momentum.

Comment

Re: What went wrong today

Originally posted by sfphillyfan
        Not quite the confluence of shit that happened in the Giants game but we really made some stupid mistakes:

1) clock management by Reid
        2) Ryan Moats is a moron
        3) Punt coverage team needs to figure out where the fuck the ball is
        4) JJ got beaten by a punk
        5) emotional letdown as expected. Trot said there were too many veterans to let it happen. Guess he was wrong.

anything else?
        (1) I just knew those wasted T.O. would come back to kill us. I am not sure if this was due to the coaches or Donovan trying to change the calls though.

(2) Yep, Moats always seems to make the bonehead play somehow. Even though it seemed like he was pushed, he should not have been near the returner.

(4) I like JJ, but was very disappointed that they were so passive, especially on that last drive.

After we took the lead in this game, I would have bet almost anything that we would have won. The defense really played like crap in that 4th quarter.

Comment

"5) emotional letdown as expected. Trot said there were too many veterans to let it happen. Guess he was wrong."

Remind me to never ever, listen to players,,,,,,, my gut told me this was a trap game,,,,,,, my gut told me that this might be the Saints SB,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, but my stupid head says, ,nah, Trot sez they are focused and they learnerd from the Giants game--------------BULLSHIT!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Yup MD. I said on Monday morning that I thought the Eagles would lose this game. Over the course of the week, I got my mind changed.

And now Pit is kicking the shit out of KC so that is another thing wrong with today. I want a mulligan.

Comment

There was no way we could've matched the Saints, or their crowds' emotional level today. That place was LOUD.

I was concerned about this game. The Saints proved today that they are a contender. Congrats New Orleans, you beat us.

Comment

Saints will fade this year because they are VERY mediocre on the road.

Comment

of all the breakdowns....well let's first be objective and give the Saints a lot of kudos for what they did, we myopically analyse these games from a one team perspective... the biggest play of the second half was the Lewis failure to protect the deep middle, at a junture of the game where the Eagles held the momentum and the crowd was pensive. They had the Saints pinned to the mat. Lewis let them get up.

JJ wasn't beat at the end, as the Eagles forced a punt, only to gaffe again with 12 men on the field.

Hey it's the NFL and the Eagles let off a lot steam last week. The first half was an inevitable letdown, but set up a game to be determined by a few big plays. Time management maybe being a little better, they could have had one last shot.
                  Sonny J

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyj
                    of all the breakdowns....well let's first be objective and give the Saints a lot of kudos for what they did, we myopically analyse these games from a one team perspective... the biggest play of the second half was the Lewis failure to protect the deep middle, at a junture of the game where the Eagles held the momentum and the crowd was pensive. They had the Saints pinned to the mat. Lewis let them get up.

JJ wasn't beat at the end, as the Eagles forced a punt, only to gaffe again with 12 men on the field.

Hey it's the NFL and the Eagles let off a lot steam last week. The first half was an inevitable letdown, but set up a game to be determined by a few big plays. Time management maybe being a little better, they could have had one last shot.
                    Great post!

Comment

There's nothing anyone could have done about today. The NFL has decided NO will not lose any home games this year and that is that...accept it. They're all in on the deal.

Comment

Originally posted by eaglecoop
                        There's nothing anyone could have done about today. The NFL has decided NO will not lose any home games this year and that is that...accept it. They're all in on the deal.
                        now ... I feel better.

Comment

Re: What went wrong today

Originally posted by Pliny
                          (4) I like JJ, but was very disappointed that they were so passive, especially on that last drive.
                          This was a game where they SHOULD have been more passive. JJ countered exactly what the Saints were doing - short 3-step drops, get rid of the ball quickly, etc. It was exactly what should be done against a defense that leads the league in QB-sacks and pressuring the QB. JJ countered by not wasting blitzes that would have had no chance in reaching the QB. What would being more aggressive done except leave our secondary out on an island more often?

The problem is, I have little confidence in this defense when we play teams that game plan against us that way. We have proven all year that if we don't get to the QB, teams will move down the field methodically and score. This has been masked by the fact that we are scoring a ton of points ourselves. The fact is, this team is giving up a ton of points - despite the sacks and forced turn overs.

Comment

Honestly, the Saints IMO have a similar sort of vibe as the 2000 Eagles did. They'll be a factor the entire season.

Comment

Yeah, sure, throw Trot under the bus..........

Trotter WAS focused and played well, all game. Obviously he believes in leadership by example, just not enough others followed his lead. He played well, Barber played well (til he was injured) Lito played well, Donovan played well....your leaders DID play well today. It was primarily the youngsters (Baskett, Avant, Moats, Gaither....and the coverage liability of Michael Lewis) that let us down.

I'm not so sure this was a letdown game. I think some of our weakness and areas of inexperience were exposed.
                              http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Working...
                              X