My biggest concern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My biggest concern

Big surprise.........It's the defense....... w/ the exception of the Houston game and maybe Dallas, every team has been able ( at times) to move the ball at WILL........and w/ Green Bay ( 1st half) and now the Saints, the blueprint, of 3 step drop and throw, has taken away the D's biggest asset, the Line and the pass rush.
    Anybody have any suggestions or answers? Do you chalk this up as a mistake ridden, lackluster effort, or is THIS what we have to look forward to all year?
    By games end I was praying for a turnover, because I had no faith that the D could get it done ( Drew Brees was very impressive!!). Thoughts?

Many questions there....

Um, the 3 step drops will work for awhile but as we know it's tough to play a mistake free game that way... and you can ONLY do that while playing tied or with the lead.

Our D need to tighten up somewhat on those shorter routes, little too much cushion, I feel.

They do have to find a solution or it will become a blueprint.

Comment

Re: My biggest concern

Originally posted by pete liske
      Big surprise.........It's the defense....... w/ the exception of the Houston game and maybe Dallas, every team has been able ( at times) to move the ball at WILL........and w/ Green Bay ( 1st half) and now the Saints, the blueprint, of 3 step drop and throw, has taken away the D's biggest asset, the Line and the pass rush.
      Anybody have any suggestions or answers? Do you chalk this up as a mistake ridden, lackluster effort, or is THIS what we have to look forward to all year?
      By games end I was praying for a turnover, because I had no faith that the D could get it done ( Drew Brees was very impressive!!). Thoughts?
      Getting Rod Hood back will help. Joselio Hanson hasn't been as god-awful as I thought he would, but he hasn't been good either. We need to find a way to get him off the field. Likewise, something has to be done about Michael Lewis - hopefully we get to see if Sean Considine can be better.

That is really the problem. If we don't get to the QB, our defense has shown that they can't play in coverage for very long without giving up a big play. Lewis and Hanson have played a big role in that problem.

Comment

Part of it IMO is that as good as this DL is at beating up an opposing OL in passing situations, they don't seem to be very good at stopping the run consistently.

Even in the Dallas win, Dallas had some success running with Jones. Inexplicably Dallas seemed to get away from that and that gave our DL free runs at Bledsoe.

Teams that can run the ball are going to give us fits and will sustain drives against us IMO.

Comment

Cept, NO didn't beat us with the running game.

The drive before the last where Horn scored on Michael "Toast me weekly" Lewis, was a total of 5 pass calls, no runs.

The last drive, the 8+ minute drive was 7 pass and 4 runs(take away the 3 kneel downs)--

IMO the short passes, based on the quick drops and our db's cushions on those plays and one GIANT f'ing penalty, allowed NO those last 10 points.

Comment

It's execution.
            Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
            Hope is not a strategy
            RIP

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle`
              It's execution.
              No, it was poor execution!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN
                Cept, NO didn't beat us with the running game.

The drive before the last where Horn scored on Michael "Toast me weekly" Lewis, was a total of 5 pass calls, no runs.

The last drive, the 8+ minute drive was 7 pass and 4 runs(take away the 3 kneel downs)--

IMO the short passes, based on the quick drops and our db's cushions on those plays and one GIANT f'ing penalty, allowed NO those last 10 points.
                Agreed. The defense has been OK against the run most of the time IMO. The problem has been that the coverage has been WAY to soft - often at the most critical times.

Comment

I think MDFan hit the nail on the head.....Too much cushion from the DB's.

I don't know how many times I saw on a 3rd and mid range (4,5,6) our db's giving a 5 or 6 yard cushion...It was driving me nuts. With those three step drops, it's all about timing. Why not get him at the line and disrupt the route.....I guess they are scared of getting burnt and giving up a big play, but I know it is frustrating as all get out watching them give too much of a cushion.

Be agressive....If were going to get beat I would rather see us getting beat playing agressive instead of playing soft and letting WRs have an easy route to run.

I don't mind giving cushion when your playing an offense who's qb is taking a big drop, but against a short drop and get the ball out offense
                  the coverage has to be more agressive imo.

And I think I just wrote 3 paragraphs that all said basically the exact same thing....Oh well...
                  Theo

Bleedin Green in 117!!

Trey Wingo is still a geek!!

Comment

We have corners that are small and not terribly effective at jamming guys at the line. How often do you see them jacking up receivers at the line?? I saw Dawk do it once yesterday, but he's a man. Our corners sit back and rely on their quickness to REACT to the receiver, they don't try to dictate anything.

Dead horse.......Vincent and Taylor could jam receivers.
                    http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

And so could Al Harris.......
                      http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

With our corners being small, it is hard to jam at the line. That's where we miss a Troy Vincent or Bobby Taylor. I still don't like our corners playing so far off the receivers though.

Comment

My biggest concern is the lack of consistency out of the defense. Teams that try to outgun their opponents routinely will have obvious letdowns. One week 7 sacks, next week zero. One week - you stop the run, the next week you don't. One week you stop the pass, the next week you don't. This doesn't bode well for the November/December stretch in the scheduling. Unless they get some consistency on "D", they'll end up splitting that stretch between Carolina, Washington, NYG, Dallas and the Falcons. That is the decisive stretch of the season and right now the team is not giving me a good feeling about how they'll handle it.

Comment

Originally posted by stevemc
                            My biggest concern is the lack of consistency out of the defense ... One week 7 sacks, next week zero...
                            Your overall point is well taken, but saying "one week 7 sacks, next week zero" doesn't really tell the true story of what happened. It was more "one week you had a 5/7-step drop QB with zero mobility who had a horrible game, one week you had a 3-step drop QB who got rid of the ball immediately and had a really good game". To me, the difference in sack totals was more a product of the systems and the QBs we just played than anything else.

Comment

I think there are scheme issues as well. I don't know what kind of cover 2 JJ was running on the Horn TD pass, but any scheme that has the corner hand off the #1 WR to a SS deep, with no help is a recipie for disaster, as was clearly demonstrated.

Comment

Working...
                              X