My biggest concern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eaglebreath
    I think there are scheme issues as well. I don't know what kind of cover 2 JJ was running on the Horn TD pass, but any scheme that has the corner hand off the #1 WR to a SS deep, with no help is a recipie for disaster, as was clearly demonstrated.
    Yeah, I have to agree with this. Especially with Lewis playing as poorly as he has been, that didn't make a whole lot of sense.

Comment

I dont really even mean that the corners have to bump or hit them at the line, just don't give them so much darn room. Stay close....especially when the opposing offenses scheme is the quick drop and get the ball out.
      Theo

Bleedin Green in 117!!

Trey Wingo is still a geek!!

Comment

Originally posted by YourPalChrisMal
        Originally posted by stevemc
        My biggest concern is the lack of consistency out of the defense ... One week 7 sacks, next week zero...
        Your overall point is well taken, but saying "one week 7 sacks, next week zero" doesn't really tell the true story of what happened. It was more "one week you had a 5/7-step drop QB with zero mobility who had a horrible game, one week you had a 3-step drop QB who got rid of the ball immediately and had a really good game". To me, the difference in sack totals was more a product of the systems and the QBs we just played than anything else.
        So any 3 step drop guy is going to give us problems? We didn't get any pressure on Favre either.

Comment

So any 3 step drop guy is going to give us problems? We didn't get any pressure on Favre either.[/quote]

I agree. In fact teams that go to shotgun also have had success if the QB reads and gets rid of the ball quickly. The LB's maybe outside of Barber have been horrendous in pass coverage. It seem to me that Brees was taken advantage of this especially against Trotter. In fact did anyone see a LB jam the TE coming off the line at all? The quick pass to the TE was open all day and not just against the Saints but Dallas and Green Bay as well.
          I miss Philly!

Comment

MDfan is right its about the cushion are db's are giving to the wide outs. Its also about design. I still go back to one of the biggest plays of the game. After the Cole sack and the penalty, the Saints have a 3rd and 5. JJ blitz's both safties who run right past the tight end and never even attempt to engage him. You know playing there aggressive, get to the QB style of defense well, you see when you play good coaches with good QB's they laugh at these things. They simple wait until your blitzer's pass the tight end and they float the ball over them for an EASY first down. That is not execution that is extremely poor design. It seems to happen all the time with this team. Why do the corners play so far off the recievers, its simple they are COACHED to do that. Why do we have to send both safeties and leave the Tight End free to get easy first downs, its gambling that your safeties are going to ge to the QB before he can get off a 4 yard pass. Very simply its poor design
            Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

McCallister has some pretty big runs on the first few scoring drives against the Birds.

I think some of you are selling short the inability of us to stop the run consistently. The eagles are middle of the pack in the NFL in rush defense.

Then again, we are near the bottom in most passing defense statistics.

Comment

Originally posted by YourPalChrisMal
                My biggest concern is the lack of consistency out of the defense ... One week 7 sacks, next week zero...
                Your overall point is well taken, but saying "one week 7 sacks, next week zero" doesn't really tell the true story of what happened. It was more "one week you had a 5/7-step drop QB with zero mobility who had a horrible game, one week you had a 3-step drop QB who got rid of the ball immediately and had a really good game". To me, the difference in sack totals was more a product of the systems and the QBs we just played than anything else.
                So any 3 step drop guy is going to give us problems? We didn't get any pressure on Favre either.
                It appears that way. 3-step drop guys are going to make it hard for any team to get a lot of sacks. The problem with that method obviously is that you can't dink and dunk your way down the field and score consistently - against most teams. The Eagles, however, have not shown they can stop teams from methodically moving down the field. Partly because of what others have been saying - we seem to give way too much cushion to WRs coming off the LOS.

Comment

Working...
                X