Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Reid's practice regimine responsible......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Reid's practice regimine responsible......

...in some way for the amount of injuries this team seems to continually suffer from??

I'm just throwing this out there for discussion, but I wonder if the high intenesity practices, going live so often, etc., in camp and throughout the season is wearing these players down, and making them more susseptible to injury on game day???

We know the level of intensity in camp is very high, and Reid likes to go live a lot in practice during the regular season. Should the big guy ease up a bit??

It sure does seem like we always have had more than our fair share of injuries since Reid's been here, and at some point, it does make you wonder why us.....

Sure it's possible. Anyone who's every competed in a sport will tell you that when you get overly fatigued and overworked, your likelihood of injury increases. Muscle fatigue and something as simple as gettin sloppy with your foot placement, etc, increases the chance that you're gonna hurt something.

I remember rolling my ankle when I was simply running on an asphalt path. So tired, I got sloppy and stepped off the edge of the asphalt and rolled my ankle and F'ed myself up for weeks. Overworked muscles have led to hamstring and calf injuries. Most of the injuries we see are actually not due to full pads contact. And this heat isn't helping,to be sure.
    http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

I really think it's just (bad) luck of the draw there...Buddy Ryan used to have BRUTAL training camps, and I do not recall too many serious injuries resulting (of course that may be due to 1/2 the team holding out every summer because Braman was such a cheap SOB).
      Bring it Home for Jerome

Comment

No, we do not have any more injuries than any other team over the long term IMO....every team has guys going down this TC and every TC...plus none of these have been serious, Cleveland has already lost their starting center for the year, that is worse than our situation IMO...although we would have Fraley ready to step in....
        Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

I honestly think, with so many practices in a row, he should have given the guys a day off. Guys are so tired now that is hard to tell real talent because everyone is exhausted or injured or both...

Comment

ya, ease up a bit, especially since we are playing 5 phony, sham meaningless, lets-not-get-hurt games. i think of it as not burning the guys out more than avoiding injuries though.
            Russian reporters to Bobby Clarke: Can you imagine hockey without fights?
            Robert Earle Clarke's response: Can you imagine vodka without alcohol?

Comment

He has eased up a bit this year. The guys are coming out in shorts for the 2nd practice since day 1. This is a departure from past camps.
              "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

It's round the clock media saturation that's the problem. Players were always tweaking knees and hammys and ankles, it's just that there wasn't a report about every little bump and bruise. The Philadelphia media love to overhype these 'injuries' in order to create interest in their coverage.

Comment

I don't think it's just Reid. Injuries happen everywhere, and several key players miss time due to injuries suffered at the start of trainining camp. Season ending injuries in TC happen almost every year, and it's a combination of people coming back from not being in shape, not playing in a while, etc, and the fact that they need to get in game shape mentally and physically too.

Very few times you'll hear players getting injured during regular season practices, both in Philly and everywhere else, because teams are much more cautious with their key starters once the season starts. Training camp is where all the blood poors, and that's why we need our starters to escape training camp unhurt.
                  "You will dress only in attire specially sanctioned by P.E. special services… You are no longer part of the system. You are above the system, over it, beyond it. We're "them." We're "they." We are the Men in Green."

Comment

if we were in new england this wouldn't be an issue.
                    Five straight losses, including a crucial one at Dallas on Christmas Day, send them out against Atlanta, needing the win, plus help. -Dr. Z, 8/31/06

Comment

Stop in at some of the other teams MBs and you'll see similar concerns from thier fans,

Dallas - Marcus spears hurt the first day of camp, not season ending but enough for him to miss a few days of practice.

Houston- Dominic Davis continues to have knee pain, having a hard time with practice. one poster writes, "what is up with all these ankle and foot injuries" alluding to numerous other unidentified players who have apparently sustained minor injuries. they even question the practice turf.

We just don't hear about everybody elses minor injuries.

About the two a days:
                      Wasn't Shawn Barber telling his former team mates how out of shape the eagles were due to thier light practice workouts?

I think every team does two a days during training camp for some period of time. These are proffesional athletes they need to be able to train hard.
                      That said, when it is exceptionally hot they should make some allowances for that by providing shade, fans water and frequent breaks, but they will probably play a few games this year under similar conditions so they should try to embrace the opportunity to condition themselves to it. They have highly paid trainers and medical personnel onsite with state of the art facilities and equipment. There is no reason they can't manage this effectively. Injuries come with getting the team in playing shape, the more you practice the more injuries there will be, but it has to be done. I do think they are coddling some players to manage the risk a little better. Bucky and Pinky specifically.

Comment

I understand what you guys are saying. I guess when I threw this out for discussion, I wasn't focusing on camp by itself. Training camp is what it is, although I do think Reid easing up a bit after the first few days was a good idea. I'm not trying to find fault here, and coaches will run their practices however they see fit. I'm just wondering about not just training camp, but the level of intensity, and the amount they go live throughout the season might be playing a roll as the season progresses.

I certainly don't claim to know, one way or the other, but it would be interesting to know what the practice regimine looks like compared to other teams around the league. Still, with guys like Marty, Cower, and Parcells roaming around, I don't think Reid works his players harder than anyone else.

Comment

If they are practicing today, they ought to bring in OSHA!!

This friekin weather is nuts!!!!!!!!!!
                          "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60
                            If they are practicing today, they ought to bring in OSHA!!

This friekin weather is nuts!!!!!!!!!!
                            As long as they are doing it safely OSHA wouldn't care, now the Unions, they'll cry about the temperature.

Comment

Can anyone supply me with proof that the Eagles under Reid have really had more training camp injuries than other teams? I'm not necessarily saying we don't, I just wonder if it just SEEMS like we do just because this is the main team we focus our attention on. And perhaps when the Jeremy Blooms and Jason Avants get hurt it seems like a big deal because we have high hopes for them, but when other team's #5 and #6 recievers get hurt we don't even notice because, well, it's "just their 5th and 6th recievers so who cares?"

Comment

Working...
                              X