Overall Offseason

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overall Offseason

Now that the draft is complete and for the most part Free Agency is complete (save a vet free agent or two coming in). How do you all grade Howies work this offseason?

Going into the offseason I had several things I wanted to see. Upgrades at CB, LB and WR. Increase team speed. New offensive coordinator and defensive coordinator or at least a new DB coach. Move on from most of the veterans we had on the team like Jenkins, Bradham, Peters, Darby and Big V.

Overall I like the following

1. The Slay trade gives us the best CB we have had in a very long time. He is a shutdown corner and he will make this team better on defense.

2. Moving on from the OG's like Peters. You don't spend a first round pick on a trade up to sit a guy like Dillard. I have a different take than most on him. When he played LT he showed he has pro bowl potential. When he played RT he was a fish out of water. Need him to play this year. Bradham clearly lost speed. Darby the same and just couldn't cover.

3. Drafting of 3 wide outs plus the trade for Goodwin. I don't think Reagor was the right pick at 21 however its not like he isn't going to contribute this year. I would expect at least Agholor production without the major drops (he will drops some balls though). I was looking more at Jefferson as reliable volume catcher for Wentz. The Eagles want more speed and they brought in 4 guys who can flat out scoot. Now can they catch?

4. I like the addition of speed at linebacker. I do think Taylor and Bradley will help more in special teams this year. Looking at the way Taylor played in college I just think he needs to be coached up a little on the game. He has the instincts, the speed and the tackling ability to be a good one.

5. Wallace and Parks plus bringing back McCloud I like at safety. I do think it was time to move on from Jenkins. He looked to be a little slower last year but he seemed to miss more assignments than I saw him miss in the past and he admitted to that. I also think the kid Arnold who we got as an UDFA has a real shot to make this team. He is a ball hawk and a very good tackler. His question is speed.

6. Attention to the DT tackle position. Last year we got volume injuries at CB, DT and WR. I mean we were down to guys off the street at times to play next to Fletch. Hargrave the return of Jackson should really help us get back to where we were in 2017 at the position.

Things I didn't like

1. Lack of a true veteran linebacker. Gerry missed way too many tackles last year. I like TJ Edwards but I am not sure he is anything more than a run stuffing linebacker. I covered Taylor and Bradley already. Just seems to me without a veteran we are going to get dinked and dunked to death.

2. I thought we needed another pass rush defensive end. I don't think Toothill is the answer. Maybe Miller gets his shot. But the way we like to rotate I thought we may invest a little more there.

3. Lack of a another veteran lineman. I want Dillard to start but I think we need a veteran behind him. We not only lost Peters but we also lost our top backup in Big V. While I think that Driscoll and the Prince will develop I am not sure its year 1.

4. I really think Hurts has a chance to be a damn good QB in this league. I just don't think it needed to be for the Eagles. I would have went Kristian Fulton or Willie Gay JR. there.

5. I wanted to move on from Schwartz. I just don't think his defensive schemes are good enough. I do think he got lucky with his DB coach leaving. I like the new DB coach better and maybe they finally develop a corner or two.

Overall this is not a bad offseason. If we get back some of the players who were hurt last year like Jackson and some of the rookies can contribute this year along with some of the rookies from last year taking the next step. I still see this as a playoff team. Depending on how they jell they could be a deep into the playoff team.
    Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

3. Drafting of 3 wide outs plus the trade for Goodwin. I don't think Reagor was the right pick at 21 however its not like he isn't going to contribute this year. I would expect at least Agholor production without the major drops (he will drops some balls though). I was looking more at Jefferson as reliable volume catcher for Wentz. The Eagles want more speed and they brought in 4 guys who can flat out scoot. Now can they catch?

Jackson doesn't enter into your equation?

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post

Jackson doesn't enter into your equation?
      Of course he does. But he has to show he is healthy first and I always looked at it as a given he would be. He is ultimately receiver number 1 if healthy

Comment

We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Agree with the vast majority of your thoughts. I will say however injuries to the extent we had in previous years can take us down to guys off the street again.
          Slay of course was absolutely needed as long as he plays to his talent level. Still a little unsure about CBs but I went into off season thinking one shut down type guy will make the difference as the others are NFL caliber just not great.
          The DL should've been great last year but for injuries. The same this year. While another high end DE would be nice I think they have some good front end quality and some good potential with their prospects. I could easily live with Curry coming back just for his vet experience.
          Agree on Dillard; I thought he looked good at LT and he should be more comfortable this year. Mailata is the ?mark for me. Is he a capable swing guy or not. If not I have depth concerns on OL.
          Receiving corps going into last year was going to be great IMM. They weren't. This year I am a little more concerned. TEs- no worries at all; especially if Jackson is healthy. Two top flight guys and enough experience to be okay as depth guys. Jeffrey doesn't enter into my equations for the birds. JJAW will be an okay but not great receiver. The thing they will have this year is speed but drops (which has been a problem) and poor route running (which JJAW had a problem with last year) could cause havoc with the WR corps. I think Wentz will have to distribute the ball again. The passing game will depend on speed taking top off defense so TEs and backs can make plays and the one or two deep throws to Jax or Reagor each game being successful.
          The LBs are better. Bradham had experience but I think these guys are better football players-- more speed and tougher. I would have loved Murray but Howie did okay.
          Losing Jenkins' experience and knowledge will be a blow IMO. I think Mills will take to the position and I like Wallace. Who will be the 'leader' or 'thinker' on D is a question to be answered IMO. McLeod might be it but he didn't show that before.
          I am okay with not putting a lot into the RB position. However, I don't know what Holyfield will give us. If he (or maybe Warren) can't pick a yards in the few carries they get they need to look for a vet. I don't see Clement or Killen as bangers.
          A lot will continue to ride on Wentz' shoulders. I hope like hell this Hurts pick doesn't cause havoc with him. A lot is also going to ride on Slay. My guess is Schwartz will continue to put CBs on an island putting a lot of pressure on the LBs and CBs.
          Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
          Hope is not a strategy
          RIP

Comment

I think that's a pretty good assessment. Overall, I think they've had a pretty good offseason. Again though, we're looking at various players and saying "if they can get, and stay healthy," and lately it seems the team is having a hard time with that. I think they have a franchise QB, and a very talented roster, and they can compete with the best teams in the league. At this point, I worry more about the medical staff than anything else. This is a team that seems to suffer far more than it's fair share of injuries.

Comment

Injuries are the ultimate equalizer in sports. I will say the type of injuries and the volume of cluster injuries per position last year was unfounded. How many DT's did we go through, WR, CB I mean it was stunning. We are deeper at those positions this year but we can't afford cluster injuries at any position. Most teams can't.

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglebreath View Post
                I think that's a pretty good assessment. Overall, I think they've had a pretty good offseason. Again though, we're looking at various players and saying "if they can get, and stay healthy," and lately it seems the team is having a hard time with that. I think they have a franchise QB, and a very talented roster, and they can compete with the best teams in the league. At this point, I worry more about the medical staff than anything else. This is a team that seems to suffer far more than it's fair share of injuries.
                So if you are so worried about injuries how can you not understand how important it is to have a quality backup at the most important position in sports? I don't understand why you despise using a #2 pick to get a potentially great backup at QB instead of some other team's retread who has already proven he isn't very good.
                "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                  So if you are so worried about injuries how can you not understand how important it is to have a quality backup at the most important position in sports? I don't understand why you despise using a #2 pick to get a potentially great backup at QB instead of some other team's retread who has already proven he isn't very good.
                  If the team gets clobbered by injuries like last season again, it won't matter who the QB is.

Comment

If the team gets clobbered by injuries like last season again, it won't matter who the QB is.
                    That's all ya got?

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                      That's all ya got?
                      I was talking about injuries overall, not to one particular player.

That said, the Cowboys just signed Andy Dalton to a one year deal. That's good insurance that's not expensive. To me, using a 2nd round draft choice on a backup QB is expensive insurance.

As it stands now, the best case scenario for the Eagles 2nd round pick is that he rides pine. I'm hoping they have some ideas about getting him involved in the offense, and maybe they envision taking the 2 guys who can throw on the field thing to another level, or whatever.

What you are trying to say is that drafting a backup QB with a second round pick was more important than drafting a player that can help Wentz win games. I dunno about that one, Popper.

Hey, I could be wrong. I love being wrong when I think the Eagles fucked up.

Comment

That said, the Cowboys just signed Andy Dalton to a one year deal. That's good insurance that's not expensive. To me, using a 2nd round draft choice on a backup QB is expensive insurance.

As it stands now, the best case scenario for the Eagles 2nd round pick is that he rides pine. I'm hoping they have some ideas about getting him involved in the offense, and maybe they envision taking the 2 guys who can throw on the field thing to another level, or whatever.

What you are trying to say is that drafting a backup QB with a second round pick was more important than drafting a player that can help Wentz win games. I dunno about that one, Popper.

They have retained their ginger on the sidelines quota
                        We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

And the chances that the 2d round backup you chose makes it in the league are probably 25% (just a WAG). How many QBs that get drafted don't even make it. If in fact they wanted the second most important position on the team to be secure they would've gone with someone a little more proven. Not saying he is going to bomb out (hell he might wind up HoF) but sell that nonsense they have been selling somewhere else.
                          Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                          Hope is not a strategy
                          RIP

Comment

Hell the way Howie drafts it most likely doesn't matter anyway unless we need a tight end.

Comment

Working...
                            X