• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For the few Dawk fans on board...

Dawkins: Raw, Humble And Real

August 3, 2006
    By ZACH BERMAN

When Brian Dawkins is asked a question, there's always a quick pause before he speaks. It's not blatant, but it's noticeable. He gathers himself, analyzes the question and professes more than he talks.
    There was a hint of sentimentality in Dawkins' voice on Thursday, a certain stoicism that's the byproduct of 10 years with the Eagles. Entering his 11th season and in the middle of contract negotiations with the team, Dawkins has become acutely aware of his place on the Eagles and within its passionate fan base.

FS Brian Dawkins
    When asked about it, Dawkins did as he does when asked any other question - whether it's about the progress of backup safety J.R. Reed or the status of his contract. He pauses, thinks and speaks.

Never an arrogant word. Always humble.

"Of me doing what I'm doing, why is it me? Why am I up here doing what I'm doing?" Dawkins said. "There are so many people more talented than me. I'm not the biggest dude in the world. You look at my upper body, you look at the wrong area. My upper body might be big, but my lower body isn't real big.

"I'm not that big of a guy. There are so many guys who I played with in high school or college who were bigger than me or faster than me, there was something else in me that was pulled out with my faith."

Dawkins drew on his childhood and the fact that he never expected himself to have the career that he's had. A football career seldom lasts longer than five years, much less a full decade. Dawkins insists he still feels young, but when removing himself and looking at his career thus far in retrospect, he acknowledges how surprised he is.

"Not in my wildest dreams did I ever expect to be at this point," Dawkins said. "It's cold outside, and you're tossing the ball around or a pinecone or whatever around in the school yard, and it's fourth down and I want to (grow up and be) a Pro Bowler, you say those things but do you really know what's going to happen?

"When I got to this point, and I see kids walking around with my jersey, I still can't get used to that. When I see people yelling my name, I'm thinking, you're tripping. It's just me, it's no big deal. I feel that way."

It's a big deal to Eagles fans, though. Dawkins has become one of the most popular players in franchise history. The question lingers about his long-term future with the team, and there is a difference between business and football. But Dawkins becomes a bit sentimental when thinking about Philadelphia, the only city he's ever played and his adopted home.

Eagles chairman/CEO Jeffrey Lurie said on Wednesday that Dawkins is one of "his all-time favorite players" and that he hopes Dawkins finishes his career in Philadelphia. When told that, Dawkins did what he does: stopped, thought and spoke.

"I would love to get it done so we can get it out of the way and stop talking about," Dawkins said. "You know who Larry the Cable Guy is, right? Just get 'er done."
    http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

DAWKINS DAWKINS DAWKINS

Comment

Git-R-Dun!
      http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Sorry, I don't get the title,,, are there only a FEW Dawk fans on board?

Anywho, it's always a nice piece when it's done about Dawk. Not sure i hav eever seen a piece where comes off any different than he does here.

He is just a good guy.

Comment

Then you don't get sarcasm.

Comment

He's the one that needs to ghost-write a book

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH
              Then you don't get sarcasm.
              Or maybe you just don't do it well enough?

Comment

Swing taught me, blame him.

Comment

Dawk may just go down as my favorite Eagle EVER!

Comment

I loved listening to the Dawkins interview. What an absolute class act. He simply must be signed to an extension AND SOON. He brings so much more than just talent (which he still has).

In the fabulous writing style of one of our favorite posters on PP "IF THE EAGLES DON"T SIGN DAWKONS THEN I WILL NEVER AGAIN BE FAN OF EAGLES. YOU CAN COUNT YOUR MONEY TO THE BANK ON THAT "

*note: the above is a fictitous quote. Any resemblence to a known poster on PP is purely coincidence.

Comment

Reid in his PC on Dawkins: ""He's a great leader. He's an emotional, tough, leader and football player. And, even a better person than all that. He's a great guy."

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH
                        Swing taught me, blame him.
                        I accept no blame for anything. I deny and deflect. I am teflon.

Comment

Show Dawk the Money!
                          www.disciplerocks.com

Comment

Working...
                          X