It sounds like we are in pretty good shape in the NFC EAST

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It sounds like we are in pretty good shape in the NFC EAST

The Giants are in disarray (so are the Redskins and Cowboys)
    By Andrew Kulp February 20, 2019 4:28 PM
    Leave a comment

While we await confirmation Nick Foles will become an unrestricted free agent (more on that here and here), let’s check in with the rest of the NFC East. Good news, Eagles fans — the club may not get anything in return for their Super Bowl-winning quarterback, but their offseason is still off to a better start than their division rivals’.

The Giants are a mess

The headlines have not been kind to the organization over the past week. Odell Beckham Jr.? Possibly on the move. Landon Collins? As good as gone. And the Giants still don’t know what they’re doing about a quarterback for 2019.

The mere possibility the Giants could trade their best player and one of the top receivers in the NFL should be concerning to any QB who might take the job. Beckham was reportedly on the block last season too, and the organization ultimately decided not to pull the trigger, yet league insider Jay Glazer boldly predicted a swap is coming this offseason. The key word there is predicts, not reports, but Glazer is connected and wouldn’t throw that out there on a whim.

While Beckham’s fate is unclear, Collins seems certain his time in New York is over. The three-time Pro Bowl selection cleaned out his locker on Wednesday, then took to social media so there was no mistaking how the action relates to his impending free agency.

Paul Schwartz

@NYPost_Schwartz
    · 23h
    Attention those who care about the New York Giants: Landon Collins HAS NOT cleaned out his locker at the team facility.
    Repeat: Landon Collins HAS NOT cleaned out his locker at the team facility.
    Go about your business and have a nice day.

LANDON COLLINS

@TheHumble_21
    The stuff in that locker that I have left I do not need💯

3:18 PM - Feb 20, 2019
    Twitter Ads info and privacy
    4,237 people are talking about this
    The Giants appear poised to get weaker on defense, perhaps on both sides of the ball, yet ideally would find a signal caller to replace Eli Manning. Sounds like their front office has a great sales pitch!

But Colin Cowherd says Ciara wants to live in New York, so I’m sure the Seahawks plan on shipping Russell Wilson — a top-10 franchise quarterback — over to the Giants any day now.

Washington, also a mess

Similar to the Giants, Washington needs a quarterback and may lose a key cog on defense.

It was no secret Alex Smith would miss 2019 with an injury, and general manager Doug Williams more or less confirmed the club is searching for a solution. I believe Washington has a better team, more aggressive management and thus is a more likely landing spot for Foles than New York, so this a situation to monitor in free agency. For now, the offense is in a bind.

Washington is not expected to use the franchise tag on Preston Smith, either. The 26-year-old outside linebacker is headed toward free agency with 24.5 sacks in four NFL seasons.

The Cowboys are a mess, too

Jason Garrett is officially a lame-duck head coach in the final year of his contract. Nobody knows who will be calling the plays for the Cowboys offense in 2019 — Garrett or new offensive coordinator Kellen Moore, who was the team’s backup quarterback less than two years ago — but the staff in place led the best players in the conference to seven points in the Pro Bowl in January. What could possibly go wrong?
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Cowboys are a big concern for me and not just because I hate them so much. Their defense is pretty darn good and may get better. I would not be surprised to see Earl Thomas ending up in Dallas (he wants that). Their LB's are young and good. I totally expect Greg Lawrence to be franchise tagged or have his contract renegotiated. Randy Gregory is keeping his nose clean (maybe we should help him out here).

As good as our DL is, I would probably swap defenses with Dallas right now.

And then they have Amari Cooper.

The only real negative (positive for us) that I see coming out of Dallas is that Cole Beasley could be out. I am sick of seeing that guy. And, they may lock up Dak long term (I hope so).

Or course Jerry and Jason are negatives for Dallas. But, that is a longstanding given.

Comment

Working...
    X