No announcement yet.

It's the Defense to blame. Period.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just looked at the gamebook. The Eagles offense was every bit as much to blame as the defense yesterday, probably even more. The first four times the offense touched the ball, they went 3 and out. They had the ball 11 times. Out of those 11 times, they went 3 and out 6 times. 6 times.

In addition, Jax average starting field position was their 42 yard line. Ours was our 23.

The combination of playing the rockette's offense (1-2-3-kick) along with giving the Jags the ball near midfield on every series would put a hell of a lot of pressure on any defense.

Comment

Originally posted by saratoga
      One contrary thought; three-and-outs by the O really suck.
      that's the way i look at it - at the very least, the o is not helping the d.

yesterday's time of pos. was 36:51 - 23:09

i still can't completely fault a defense in which the offense gets 0 tds...
      Five straight losses, including a crucial one at Dallas on Christmas Day, send them out against Atlanta, needing the win, plus help. -Dr. Z, 8/31/06

Comment

This was a game where points don't tell the story. Over 200 yards rushing by one team is an ass kicking.

Comment

Gut, I agree with that, and they had a TD on a run called back.

But, for Christ's sake, the offense didn't even get as much as a first down until 6 minutes into the second quarter. They only had two first downs in the entire first half. They only had 4 drives in the entire game where they didn't go 3 and out.

I think the defense is wearing down. A lot of that is them not being able to get off the field, but the rockette's offense is not helping. You can't keep giving the other team the ball, at midfield, after a three and out, 4 or 5 times in a row, on 6 out of 11 possessions, and expect them to not wear down, and keep holding.....

Comment

you kind of get trap playing a blame game in a sport where poor performance in several areas intertwine to cauese a breakdown called a loss.
            Various factors contribute to wins and losses including physial health, the weather and emotional issues that effect all 24 to 30 year old men, including football players.

As much to blame as anything is the emotional state of the Eagles after a gut wrenching couple of losses. Add that to the pressure this town lays on, they played a "must win" game a week before a late arriving bye week played very flat. The kind of flat that comes from tension and frustration rather than lack of effort. Nothing like a good emotional high concocted from winning that puts that extra zip in the step, the bang in a tackle or block and a focus on the prize instead the fear of losing.

They are not without flaws, but good vibrations would have helped them prevail this week. Instead the TEAM was deflated from last week's loss and hardly anyone played their A game.

Add that to Andy's poor windy day preparation and you start seeing recipe for losing that was carried out by nearly everyone.

It's a team game affected by other foreces; rarely is it a simple task to blame one thing. It's a way of venting anger about a sporting event, so it's somewhat productive. But not very logical.
            Sonny J

Comment

Offense vs. defense. Which came first - the shitty chicken, or the shitty egg? Either way, they're both shitty.
              Prevent the prevent!

Comment

Working...
              X