Grotz has an idea.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grotz has an idea.......

However, Bob Grotz of the Delaware County Daily Times believes the Eagles could have interest in Minnesota Vikings defensive end Ray Edwards. Edwards, 25, has a first-round tender attached to him.
    "The Eagles are expected to make a push to acquire defensive end Ray Edwards, who had four sacks for the Vikings in the playoffs last season," Grotz writes. "The Vikings would get a first-round pick if they declined to match offers for Edwards, who had three sacks in the playoff win over the Cowboys and dropped Drew Brees once in the NFC title game loss to the Super Bowl champion Saints.

"Then again, teams could work out a different compensation package for Edwards (6-foot-5, 268 pounds) providing the Vikings are in the mood."

Edwards played on one of the best defensive lines in football in Minnesota last season, and reaped the benefit of the double teams allotted to stop Jared Allen, the Vikings right defensive end. That Edwards was able to thrive on the left side could be intriguing to the Eagles, especially because they have their own superstar right end in Trent Cole.

However, aside from his breakout performance in the playoffs, Edwards notched 8.5 sacks during the 2009 regular season - the same total as Juqua Parker, who got the majority of playing time at left end for the Eagles in 2009.

Only time will tell if the Eagles dip into the restricted market, but, as Grotz touches on, it's probably more likely that a trade gets worked around a restricted free agent than it is that the Eagles, or any other team, simply signs away their draft picks.

I admit I haven't seen much of Edwards so I can't properly rate him, but the fact that he played on a line with multiple all-pros and was facing the Cowboy's second-string tackle for most of that playoff game makes me uneasy. Unless they could trade their second round pick or something, I'd just as soon go a different route.

Comment

I was thinking the same think IMK. I also haven't seen him so I can only look at the stats and they don't give the impression that's he's any kind of real upgrade over Parker.
      Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
      Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

WIP Update: Eagles will pursue Vikings RFA Ray Edwards

no message
        Whatcha Gonna Do Brother, When the Eagles run wild on you?

Comment

leif I'm going to merge this with the thread MD started last night saying the same thing.
          Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
          Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Sorry missed it.

McNabb for Edwards and a 3rd?

Comment

Originally posted by leifdawg View Post
              Sorry missed it.

McNabb for Edwards and a 3rd?
              No offense but that's the most awful deal I've ever heard.
              Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
              Playoff Appearances:
              NFC Title Games:
              Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

for which team?

Comment

The Eagles. A franchise QB who will be added to a Super Bowl contender for the next 5 years in the same conference for an above average DE who is basically Juqua Parker and a 50/50 coinflip of a 3rd round pick?

2007-2009
                  Juqua Parker - 18 sacks
                  Ray Edwards - 18.5 sacks
                  Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
                  Playoff Appearances:
                  NFC Title Games:
                  Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

I am not sure what to thinks of Edwards. I would be leary of two things, first off he was not tendered a 1st and 3rd round offer which means Minny is ok with letting him go, second as IMK said the guy constantly was in one on one battles, because he never drew the double team based on playing on a line with all pro's. However I would like to add to that, no matter what he still had to make plays.

I am sure of two things, 1st if the Eagles want Edwards they won't give up their 1t round pick. I don't see Andy doing that for somebody who has never been a Pro Bowler, 2ndly if they bring him in you know they aready have a deal worked out with Minny for something less. Maybe a 2nd and a 4th.
                    Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

So basically the Vikings think Edwards is worth a #1 pick. Hmmmm....

In any case, nothing happens till God makes up his mind.

Comment

I wouldn't give up a first for him

unless they get a first in a trade of one of the QB's

Comment

this whole thing smells fishy; i wouldn't do it
                          www.disciplerocks.com

Comment

Watched quite a bit of him and Edwards is a good ball player. Before the season started I told one of the Vikes guys at work that a whole lot of their success on D will depend on Edwards because the other three on the DL will gather all the attention so that means Edwards is the one who has to make it happen. And he did; but not at a superstar level. I'd love for the birds to have Edwards to go along with Cole, Parker, et al but I wouldn't give a first. He is better than what is behind Cole and Parker so I would give the second and fifth but I don't think I would go any higher. And I damn sure wouldn't give McNabb unless it was for him and a first.
                            Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                            Hope is not a strategy
                            RIP

Comment

McLane now sez the Eagles are not interested in Ray Edwards... FWIW.

Comment

Working...
                              X