No announcement yet.

The Real #60- got some bad press.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Real #60- got some bad press.......

Well now it's a bunch better... we called him bitter... I think being 81 and having your bell rung-- buys you a little consideration..........even in Philly.

Although he isn't a big Reggie fan... but he can't even remeber why.....

///////////////////////////////////////
    Bednarik returns to Eagles campBy Shannon Ryan
    INQUIRER STAFF WRITER
    BETHLEHEM, Pa. - One of the Eagles' old-timers was back at training camp and back in the Eagles' good graces.

Chuck Bednarik was at Lehigh today and talked about his repaired relationship with Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie and his not-so-sentimental feelings toward Reggie White.

Bednarik is known as the last "60-minute man" for playing linebacker on defense and center on offense, competing with the Eagles from 1949-1962 and missing only three games.

Bednarik, 81, had an adversarial relationship in the past with the Eagles over money he felt he deserved, but both Bednarik and Lurie said that has passed.

"I am very good friends with him now," Bednarik said. "It bugged me. Here was a guy loaded, I could use the money... . Talking to him now it's a different Jeffrey Lurie. You have to forgive and forget, and he is a friend of mine."

Lurie said the two came to an understanding.

"He's an important member of the franchise, and he'll always be welcomed," Lurie said.

Bednarik, never one to shy away from voicing his opinion, was asked if he was a fan of Reggie White, the former Eagle who passed away last winter.

"No, not really," Bednarik said. "I don't know. At the time there was something about him that I just despised. My memory is pretty bad, so I don't remember those things."

"I am very good friends with him now," Bednarik said. "It bugged me. Here was a guy loaded, I could use the money... . Talking to him now it's a different Jeffrey Lurie. You have to forgive and forget, and he is a friend of mine."
    That's it in a nutshell. Lurie bought his ass to shut him up.

Comment

Chuck Bednarik's bitterness has jumped the shark.

Comment

Gee, our "60" is bitter and forgetful too! Spooky, isn't it?????
        "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

"It bugged me. Here was a guy loaded, I could use the money..."

- Ah. The world owes me something mentality.
          Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
          Playoff Appearances:
          NFC Title Games:
          Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

Originally posted by stocknowledge
            And he hates Lurie cause he is rich......

Maybe he is just trying to work a way to get free Flip flops.......oh wait!

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN
              Originally posted by stocknowledge
              And he hates Lurie cause he is rich......

Maybe he is just trying to work a way to get free Flip flops.......oh wait!
              Like that cheap bastard would spring for a free pair.
              "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Sounds like other old guys that I know. Bitter, prideful, a little bit prejudiced, ornery, cantankerous. But a lot of those qualities are probably what helped him be such a great football player.
                www.disciplerocks.com

Comment

You think Mel Gibson's rant was scandalous? Listen to a couple of the old-timers and get back to me.

/not speaking of anyone specific

Comment

Chuck called Eskin yesterday afternoon about Reggie and he basically said he confused Reggie with TO.

But he didn't even remember it was To. He kept referring to him as the guy who pulled his pants down. Now he is confusing him with Mamula?

He kept rambling on about how guys can't play 60 minutes like he did and only the QB and the running backs and maybe the ends should come out of a game.

Eskin told him TO didn't pull his pants down and Chuck said his memory isn't that good anymore.

He is bitter about the modern athlete and how much they make. He brought up he only made $10,000 his first year and at the most $25,000 a season when he played.

After hearing him speak, I wonder if Gifford didn't get the better end of that hit.

Comment

Originally posted by Cap
                      After hearing him speak, I wonder if Gifford didn't get the better end of that hit.
                      LMAO! Reminds me of what Lyndon Johnson once said about Gerald Ford - that he played too many football games without a helmet!
                      "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

Originally posted by Cap
                        Chuck called Eskin yesterday afternoon about Reggie and he basically said he confused Reggie with TO.

But he didn't even remember it was To. He kept referring to him as the guy who pulled his pants down. Now he is confusing him with Mamula?

He kept rambling on about how guys can't play 60 minutes like he did and only the QB and the running backs and maybe the ends should come out of a game.

Eskin told him TO didn't pull his pants down and Chuck said his memory isn't that good anymore.

He is bitter about the modern athlete and how much they make. He brought up he only made $10,000 his first year and at the most $25,000 a season when he played.

Eskin should be embarrassed for not pulling the plug on the interview once it obvious that Bednarik does not have full use of his mental facilities, I was embarassed for him.

Comment

It's time the legend STFU-- so that the legend actually carries forward. I enjoy the legend, I saw the legend happen, don't ruin it for me Chuck.

If he was talking about Reggie, I can understand his stance, I loved Reggie the player- and wasn't real thrilled with Reggie the person.

If he was talking about TO-- welll then it's just DUH!!!!!!!!

Comment

Chuck sounds like he needs professional supervision at this point. How does he even find his way to training camp or coordinate a call w/ WIP?

Comment

Working...
                            X