Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Random Thread (when you just don't feel like starting a thread)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jukin View Post

A cat in a shark suit riding a roomba while chasing a duck. What more is there? the internet has now officially done everything.

That is a remarkable video for several reasons. I don't know which is more surprising...that the cat actually seems to enjoy riding the 'roomba' or that these 3 animals appear perfectly comfortable with each other.

Last Saturday morning my wife found a VERY young kitten in our garage. It was too weak to walk. No telling how long she'd been in the garage as we had returned home Friday night after a week away. By evening, after several bottle feedings, she was walking around exploring. By Sunday morning she was able and quite willing to eat soft canned kitten food further softened by milk replacer. She weighed all of 9 ounces.

Other than a few fleas, the vet tells us this little survivor is in excellent health. He estimates her age at 3-4 weeks and speculates that the mother dropped her off in or near our garage. She kept me awake all the first night with her crying but has slept through the next 3 nights.

We are dog people but this little thing has captured our hearts. Unfortunately Sweeney, who loves people, has just the opposite regard for anything on four legs. So we can't keep her permanently. We will keep her until we can find a good home. It won't be easy letting her go.

This video brought to mind the improbability of how I would like our situation to work out.

And Yes! I am a sap!

Comment

• Don't feel bad, tino. I could post a running thread of nothing but pics of my cat Jax. That boy owns my heart. Cats CAN be awesome. Thanks for saving the little fella!
      http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

• Fresh,

Although we always had at least one dog in the house when I was growing up, we also had a cat who lived 21 very pampered years. As Queen of the realm, she tolerated the dogs but she was in charge and was never buds with any of the dogs. Jr Miss was really my cat so I have a real fondness for and appreciation of them.

For whatever trials this little girl has been through in her short life, she is surprisingly affectionate. Loves being held and begins purring immediately upon being picked up. Just a little sweet heart.

Comment

• Here is me and my son, after a long day at work....(yes, he really sleeps like that)
          Attached Files
          http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

• Fresh, we have a female cat that looks exactly like him. My house is like Mutual of Omaha's wild kingdom. Currently, we have 2 dogs, a lab mix and a Siberian husky, and four cats. It's crazy, but I love them all.

Comment

• Originally posted by FRESH View Post
              Here is me and my son, after a long day at work....(yes, he really sleeps like that)
              What a handsome dude! Is he house bound or does he get out occasionally to entertain the ladies.

Cats are fascinating in many ways. They're much more independent then dogs and somewhat less predictable in their behavior. The cat I grew up with slept in my bed every night. Most nights were peaceful, but she would occasionally slip into 'hunter mode' and vigorously attack my feet during the middle of the night as they moved beneath the covers. They can be affectionately and contentedly cuddling in your lap and then 20 minutes later be gracefully stalking small prey in the yard with all the stealth and cunning of a lion.

We people with pets (we're not pet owners...they own us) are usually at the mercy of their charms. They ask so little and give us so much joy.

I'm going to post a picture of 10 1/2 ounce 'Cloud' (our 7 yo grand daughter named her) as soon as I find where I put my camera.

Comment

• tino, keep her!!! She loves you already I can tell. She and your dog will get along better in time. She was put there for a reason and that was for you to find.....
                My husband and I went petless for five years after we lost both our dog and cat within months of each other. I said I would never put myself through that heartache again. Finally started talking about rescuing a kitten and are we glad we did. Our boy has been so much company and we are soooooooooooo happy we found him.

Comment

• Chick,

We would love to keep her. It was love at first sight with this scrappy little survivor. If there is a any way to work it, we will.

The problem is that Sweeney, who is great with people (he is a therapy dog at a local rehab center) is predictably aggressive toward most animals. We've gone to great lengths to moderate this behavior to no avail. (He was attacked by a pit bull when he was 2. No serious injuries but it frightened him badly)

We've let him touch the kitten's nose while my wife held him and I held the kitten, but she is so very small and delicate we don't dare let it go beyond that at this point. He is intrigued by her because she is so tiny. He may regard her as a toy but that wouldn't protect her because he often gives his toys the terrier head shake.

If we can't keep her we won't let her go until we find just the right home for her. Maybe Fresh's Jax would like a live in GF?

Comment

• Hey, that could be a possibility, tino.

Jax(Short for Jaxon) was a walk-on X-mas before last. He was a stray who just showed up on our doorstep, and we ended up taking him in. He is the most awesome little dude. Follows me everywhere, and as soon as I sit, he's in my lap. Can't believe he was a stray!

We have a second cat who is 14 years old. She has been with us for a looooong time. She is primarily Susi's cat, and is attached to her as Jax is to me . Anyway, Quiza(that's her name) is really starting to show her age, and I doubt she will last a lot longer. Susi said to me the other evening that we can't have just one cat. When Quiza passes on, we will be looking to add a companion for Jax.

Comment

• Road trip!!

Comment

• [QUOTE=FRESH;250393]Hey, that could be a possibility, tino.

Jax(Short for Jaxon) was a walk-on X-mas before last. He was a stray who just showed up on our doorstep, and we ended up taking him in. He is the most awesome little dude. Follows me everywhere, and as soon as I sit, he's in my lap. Can't believe he was a stray!

We have a second cat who is 14 years old. She has been with us for a looooong time. She is primarily Susi's cat, and is attached to her as Jax is to me . Anyway, Quiza(that's her name) is really starting to show her age, and I doubt she will last a lot longer. Susi said to me the other evening that we can't have just one cat. When Quiza passes on, we will be looking to add a companion for Jax.[/QUOTE

Mike,

That could be a solution to our dilemma. I know you would provide her with a good home. Let's keep it in mind.

We want to keep her at least until she's just a little bigger, has had her first shots and it is clear that there are no health issues. We have a neighbor who has expressed interest in having her but we would want to make sure that Cloud would be exclusively a house cat. We've got coyotes in this area that have snatched small, unattended pets.

We've already had the head vet at our local Feline Hospital check her out. "Strong heart beat, lungs are clear, no problem with eyes and ears." We also had her tested for feline leukemia and 2 other serious diseases that are apparently common to cats today. Test for all three are negative. A very small vet applied dose of a topical med called Revolution eliminated the few fleas that she had on arrival and we had her wormed just in case. Dr Tom says, "Your little Cloud is perfect!"

Amazingly, at only 4-5 weeks, she's already consistently using the small liter box (in the corner of the large box in which we're keeping her) to do both her tinks and poops. She loves being held and starts purring immediately when picked up. Generally, we can't let her roam free in the house because of Sweeney. But on those occasions when it's safe, she is very quick on her feet and quite interested in exploring.

In 5 days she gone from being bottle fed and barely able to stand alone to eating soft kitten food and drinking water from a small bowl on her own. I don't know how typical this is for a 4-5 week old kitten but my wife and I think she is one smart little girl.

As you can probably tell, we really don't like her very much.

Comment

• tino, it sounds like she already has a GREAT home, particularly if you can get Sweeney to accept her.

Our cats are both indoor cats. Declawed and fixed. they do get to be outside quite a bit tho, as we have a big screened lanai around our pool with plants and flowers and stuff, where they FEEL like they are out "in the wild". LOL!

Our cat Quiza has gone thru two dogs in her lifetime. Both shelties. Both developed health problems and led relatively short lives (7-8 years). Shelties I believe are by nature gentle dogs, and they got on great with our cats. They would play and pounce at them, etc, but always were very gentle. Heck, the cat would rear up and try to tackle the dog(which was about 35lbs.....NOT HAPPENING) , but our doggie would just play along. Cats and dogs clearly CAN co-exist very happily.

I think we are done with dogs, tho. Sticking with cats from here on out.

Comment

• I'm sure you guys are tired of looking at my dumb ass. I should make this my new avatar:

(He does all of the typing anyway..)
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by FRESH; 07-31-2014, 11:43 AM.

Comment

• I suspect this story is going to end with:

"Sweeney loves the new cat and we're keeping her and built an addition to the house for them."

Comment

• Originally posted by sfphillyfan View Post
                                I suspect this story is going to end with:

"Sweeney loves the new cat and we're keeping her and built an addition to the house for them."
                                Damn! Did my contractor call you? I hope he hasn't told Sweeney about the addition. I wanted Sweeney to think the addition was his idea!
                                Last edited by tinopuno; 07-31-2014, 09:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X