*UPDATED: Garrett Reid arrested again - NOW SENTENCED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *UPDATED: Garrett Reid arrested again - NOW SENTENCED

Not to belabor the point since it's getting to be old news, but Garrett Reid was hauled back into jail yesterday for failing a random drug test on Friday. Hopefully Andy has washed his hands f this for the rest of the season and is letting the lawyers handle things. Man this kid is pretty damned stupid! Wasn't it two weeks ago that they arrested him for failing to show up for a drug test? He talked his way out of that one and got out only to fail the very next test!! Stupid, moron, idiot - none of these words quite sums up his level of stupidity. We may have to create a whole new word for him!
    Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
    Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Re: Same Story, different day, Garrett Reid Arrested again

Awful. Just awful. Looks like he'll learn the hard way.
    "Philly fans are great....It's the only place where you pull up on the bus and you've got the grandfather, the grandmother, the kids and the grandkids - everybody flicking you off. At other stadiums, they give you the thumbs-down. Here, they give you the middle finger.”
    — Michael Strahan

"No one likes us, no one likes us, no one likes us, we don’t care, we’re from Philly, F—-ing Philly, No one likes us, we don’t care!”
    - Jason Kelce with the best championship speech ever

Comment

I don't understand this. I feel like this is just the same post bumped but your date on this post says today. I don't envy Andy at all.

It's easy to say the kid is just a complete idiot but it's obvious he has some demons controlling him right now. He can get thru this - but abandoning him as a parent is not the way.

This is tough. But damn. Addiction is powerful.
      Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
      Playoff Appearances:
      NFC Title Games:
      Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

I hear that kicking heroin is only slightly less difficult than kickin Eagles fandom.

Screw the dirtbag, I'll leave the compassion for his sorry ass to the bleeding hearts. If he weren't one of the "rich and famous", he'd have been behind bars, locked up to keep the rest of us safe. Fuck him. Jukin, think about your recent tragedy, or me with 2 relatives and a close friend killed by irresponsible drugged up fucks. Lock the bastard up and get him off my fucking streets! People wil say, oh he need acompassion and understanding, support.....blah blah blah........tell that to the spouse after he kills a woman and child on the road somewhere.
        http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Originally posted by BIGPHILLY
          I don't understand this. I feel like this is just the same post bumped but your date on this post says today. I don't envy Andy at all.

It's easy to say the kid is just a complete idiot but it's obvious he has some demons controlling him right now. He can get thru this - but abandoning him as a parent is not the way.

This is tough. But damn. Addiction is powerful.
          Amen to that, you can never give up on your kids, you never know when the miracle will occur.

Comment

Hopefully, he'll have a little less access to drugs in jail. This may be the best way to start his detox.

He'll live longer if he is kept behind bars. And he'll be less of a danger to the public since he is off the roads. If he we're part of my family, I'd feel better knowing he was in jail.

Comment

I don't know him from Adam but I feel bad for anyone who goes through this. Obviously he is addicted and can't kick this by himself. From what we see on the outside it doesn't appear tough parenting, words of encouragement, two or three weeks of counseling, etc is going to solve his issues. I wouldn't be surprised to see him entered into a long term in patient program and we don't hear from him for a long time. Seems to me it is going to be that or jail and I would hope they would do it before he has to go to jail for hurting someone (as opposed to jail for failing tests)
              Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
              Hope is not a strategy
              RIP

Comment

Holy crap!! He was sentenced today and they threw the book at him!! 23 months in jail is a real sentence, not a slap on the wrist! From what ABC said, he faced only 3 days in jail for the actual traffic accident. The rest of this is because he was too stupid to stay out of trouble, plus he admitted to being a dealer. He still faces more charges for smuggling drugs into the jail. Brilliant, just brilliant!!

************************************************** ****************************************

From the Inqy:

Garrett Reid sentenced, smuggled drugs into jail

By Mari A. Schaefer

INQUIRER STAFF WRITER
                Garrett Reid was sentenced to two to 23 months in jail today on charges stemming from a January traffic accident, and it was also disclosed that he had smuggled 89 pills into jail by secreting them in his rectum.

Reid was sentenced by Judge Steven O'Neill in Montgomery County Court.

O'Neill said the pills were found in the jail this morning. Reid could face additional charges for smuggling the pills.

After sentencing, Reid, 24, was returned to jail. His father, Eagles coach Andy Reid, and his mother, Tammy, were in the courtroom. Neither spoke.

At the sentencing hearing, Reid said he had struggled with drugs since high school.

"I'm at the point in my life where I have already made the decision that I don't want to die doing drugs."

"I don't want to be that kid who was the son of the head coach of the Eagles who was spoiled and on drugs and OD'ed and just faded into oblivion," he said in court.

Garrett Reid ran a red light on Jan. 30 in Plymouth township and plowed into a car seriously injuring Louise Hartmann, 55, of Mount Carmel, Pa.. He told police he had used heroin earlier in the day.

Reid pleaded guilty in July to drug and traffic charges from the accident and was initially released on bail pending sentencing.

O'Neill read in court a report that said Reid started using drugs and alcohol when he was 18, and started selling cocaine in 2000.

"I liked being the rich kid in that area," the report quoted Reid as saying, apparently in reference to North Philadelphia. "I could go anyplace in the 'hood. They all knew who I was. I liked being a drug dealer....These kids were scared of me, I was even selling to their parents."

He later started selling OxyContin and "began using."

O'Neill had first revoked Garrett Reid's bail on Oct. 16, sending him to Montgomery County jail for seven days after he failed to appear for a court ordered drug test.

Reid gave multiple reasons for missing the test saying there was a "miscommunication." He said he couldn't get a ride, didn't feel the urge to urinate and could not get a taxi in time. Reid did not fail the test given after he was sent to jail, and was then released.

Then on Tuesday O'Neill sent Reid back to Montgomery County jail for the second time when he failed a court ordered urine test.

On the same day in January his brother was involved in an accident. Britt Reid, 22, waived a hand-gun at another motorist in an apparent road-rage incident. A search warrant uncovered drugs and drug paraphernalia in his truck. He will also be sentenced today.

Britt Reid pleaded guilty and was free on bail when he violated conditions of his release and went to a Plymouth township sporting goods store. In the store's parking lot, Britt Reid was see weaving his truck before it crashed into a shopping cart. He failed a police sobriety test.

On Aug. 24, O'Neill revoked Reid's bail and sent him to the Montgomery County Jail.

Contact staff writer Mari A. Schaefer at 610-892-9149 or mschaeferAphillynews.com

Comment

Re: *UPDATED: Garrett Reid arrested again - NOW SENTENCED

That is really tragic. I can't say I am surprised, although clearly Garrett's addiction is pretty serious if he smuggled drugs into jail. I feel really bad for Andy and the rest of his family.

Comment

Isn't the pill thing a big ol felony? I mean the courts really don't take kindly to smuggling drugs into jail.

Comment

I don't understand his thinking - did he really think no one would notice that he was stoned in jail?

Comment

Originally posted by Jukin
                        I don't understand his thinking - did he really think no one would notice that he was stoned in jail?
                        If he was actually thinking would ANY of this happened?

Comment

"Garrett Reid, 24, could leave jail early if he applies for and is accepted into a special drug court program that would require him to hold down a job, report to authorities regularly and undergo rigorous drug testing."

And

" His addiction persists, according to authorities, who found 89 prescription drug pills in Reid's jail cell Thursday morning. They believe he smuggled them in his rectum when he was jailed earlier this week.

Reid told the judge he would apply to the drug court program, which could shorten his time behind bars.

"I am more than willing to do drug court ... if that's what it's going to take to get clean and sober," Reid said. "

Comment

Man alive.
                            Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
                            Playoff Appearances:
                            NFC Title Games:
                            Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

I doubt that anyone smuggling 89 pills into jail in their rectum is going to be considered a great candidate for a rehab program. But, if by some miracle, he gets into one, he'll probably be back in jail wihtin 30 days. He simply isn't ready to quit. He's just ready to say whatever he needs to say to get out and get access to more drugs IMO.

I have read that alcohol addiction has much higher cure rates than coacine and heroine. Those drugs are much more addictive. To walk away from those requires a lot of motivation. I don't think Garrett has any.

Comment

Working...
                              X