• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You're a decent QB Dak, but you're nowhere near Russell Wilson

Report: Dak Prescott rejected massive deal in hopes of eclipsing rival QB
    Feb
    2/8/2020 7:36:55 AM

The prevailing narrative regarding Dak Prescott has been that he’s pining for a contract with an average annual value of $40 million, shattering the NFL’s current quarterback market, the Heavy reports.

A lesser-known, similarly-unconfirmed desire for Prescott, according to Clarence Hill of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, is to usurp Seattle signal-caller Russell Wilson, who’s taking home $35 million per season as part of his four-year, $140 million deal, inked in April 2019.

So, last September, when the Dallas Cowboys presented Dak with an offer that fell short of both his $40 million pipedream and Wilson’s yearly pay, Hill reported Friday, the two-time Pro Bowl passer told the team thanks but no thanks.

“The two sides came close to deal in September on a contract that would have paid him roughly $33 million annually, sources said, before talks broke down when Prescott upped his asking price,” Hill wrote.

Fast-forward to February.

Slow-rolling negotiations, which began in the 2019 offseason, purportedly reached an “impasse” several months later; a long-term pact does not appear to be on the horizon, ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported Sunday. In fact, it’s likelier Dallas applies the franchise tag to Prescott, who recently expressed disappointment over oft-stalled discussions and contempt toward the tag, which would pay him approximately $27 million guaranteed for 2020.

“We’ll get to that when we get to that,” he told reporters last week, via the Dallas Morning News. “I look forward to talking to my agents and when that [franchise tag] comes to play, the direction that we’ll go. Until that’s a reality, I won’t worry about it. But I do feel like some of this should get done. I’m a little disappointed that it hasn’t, but that’s part of it.”

Prescott, who walked back previous contractual optimism, is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent on March 18. The deadline to use the tag is March 10, after which the team would have until July 15 to lock him down beyond next season.

Don't forget to follow us on Twitter at http://twitter.com/theredzoneorg

Like us on Facebook at http://facebook.com/Theredzone.org
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

At this point the 2 choices for the Cowboys appear to be:

1. Signed Dak Prescott to an outrageous contract that he does not deserve and will never live up to.

or

2. Trade for Tom Brady

I am head over heals with EITHER of these options honestly. Both are bad.

My concern would be the Cowboys go with:

3. Which would be to realize that Dak ain't that dude and Tom Brady is in a decline and they instead try and get a QB either in the draft or free agency. David Carr, Cam Newton, Jameis Winston, Josh Rosen, could all be available. Also, Phillip Rivers, Nate Sudfeld, maybe Andy Dalton could be available.

None of those options really would concern me though except for MAYBE David Carr.

I'd love to see the Cowboys throw a bunch of draft picks together and try to move up and get a QB though.
    You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

I would love to see them throw the franchise tag on him and he refuse to play next year leaving the girls with whatever backup they have to live with. Or what would be real sweet is to see them tag him in March and he stalls so they have to go after a QB in the draft in April then watch all summer as the situation stews.
      Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
      Hope is not a strategy
      RIP

Comment

I don't think that Sudfeld will be of interest to anybody but the Eagles. For the life of me I don't know why you guys think that he could play anywhere other than the XFL and even that's a stretch. The guy got beat out by a 40 year old QB this year who had been out of the league for a year. Geesh.

Comment

60 there is something else up with that. Only thing I can figure. Maybe McCown said only way I come back is if I am the backup all year.
          You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

This is great news !

But, I would hate to see Brady in Dallas, even for 1 year.

Comment

Brady is a free agent, and I guarantee you that the thought of signing him has occurred to Jerrah.

That said, I think this situation is going to continue to get worse. Dak is putting the Cowboys between a rock and a hard place. No way is he worth more money than Russel Wilson. Anyone who pays Prescott that much money is nuts. Even Jerrah isn't that stupid. I can't believe it, but it sounds like they offered him a fair deal, and he turned his nose up at it.

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglebreath View Post
                Brady is a free agent, and I guarantee you that the thought of signing him has occurred to Jerrah.

That said, I think this situation is going to continue to get worse. Dak is putting the Cowboys between a rock and a hard place. No way is he worth more money than Russel Wilson. Anyone who pays Prescott that much money is nuts. Even Jerrah isn't that stupid. I can't believe it, but it sounds like they offered him a fair deal, and he turned his nose up at it.
                Fair? I thought that it was a tremendous offer!! I thought that this kid was supposed to be smart. It turns out that all he is is stupid and selfish.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                  Fair? I thought that it was a tremendous offer!! I thought that this kid was supposed to be smart. It turns out that all he is is stupid and selfish.

I have a very slight negative bias.... .....because Prescott plays for The Swine Herd,
                  but I've thought from the start that he was a little too pleased with himself relative to his actual accomplishments.

Make that "much too pleased with himself"!

All that "I'm the Cowboys leader and I bring that attitude with me." Fuck him!
                  He's either a fool or getting very bad advice...or both. Bottom line, I love the drama and bad vibes this is creating.

Comment

all last offseason we heard that (1) Dak is an amazing , on the rise talent (2) Dallas has the greatest offensive line in the game (3) The skill players on the Cowboys are the games best, blah, blah, blah. If you fancy yourself to be the best player in the game , perhaps you shouldn't finish second in a pretty bad division. I look at our last game versus them, Down 30% of our starters and we had unknowns killing themselves and Dak was such a great leader that healthy players took a step backwards and sat in the game of the season. Fuck that turd. Now truthfully, I hope Jerry goes all in and hands him $60,000,000 a year.
                    We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by musicman View Post
                      all last offseason we heard that (1) Dak is an amazing , on the rise talent (2) Dallas has the greatest offensive line in the game (3) The skill players on the Cowboys are the games best, blah, blah, blah. If you fancy yourself to be the best player in the game , perhaps you shouldn't finish second in a pretty bad division. I look at our last game versus them, Down 30% of our starters and we had unknowns killing themselves and Dak was such a great leader that healthy players took a step backwards and sat in the game of the season. Fuck that turd. Now truthfully, I hope Jerry goes all in and hands him $60,000,000 a year.
                      This.

With a new coach will the underachieving stop for the turds? I just don't see McCarthy as the guy to change the culture positively in Dallas. He might institute more rules and some additional responsibility but this is a team of chronic underachievers and Dak has to be included in that label. How does that team not win the East last year by several games given the state of affairs in DC and NY and the eagles injuries?

Comment

I agree with what’s already been said here...and hell yes I enjoyed typing that.
                        "Philly fans are great....It's the only place where you pull up on the bus and you've got the grandfather, the grandmother, the kids and the grandkids - everybody flicking you off. At other stadiums, they give you the thumbs-down. Here, they give you the middle finger.”
                        — Michael Strahan

"No one likes us, no one likes us, no one likes us, we don’t care, we’re from Philly, F—-ing Philly, No one likes us, we don’t care!”
                        - Jason Kelce with the best championship speech ever

Comment

Working...
                        X