• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good 'ol Roger-always looking out for the little guy

Roger Goodell, NFL strongly contemplating ending DirectTV’s Sunday Ticket

Mar
    3/22/2019 6:23:25 PM
    On Friday, Commisioner Roger Goodell says he is looking into a streaming version of NFL Sunday Ticket and it sounds like the NFL might take advantage of an early opt-out of their contract with DIRECTV for NFL Sunday Ticket that runs through 2022, which would be just before the 2020 season, Darrelle Lincoln of Total Pro Sports reports.

The NFL is considering splitting up the rights to make games more widely available now that people don’t only watch at home.

“We’re having great discussions with DirecTV and AT&T,” Goodell said via Bloomberg.com. “We’ve had a 25-year partnership and we want to continue that partnership, but we also are looking to see how we can change the delivery.”

$1.5 billion a year is what DirecTV pays right now to the league to have exclusive rights to offer NFL Sunday Ticket to its subscribers.

“We’re looking to make sure that we continue to deliver this package, which is a premium package of great content,” Goodell said. “We want it delivered on several different platforms.”

Gee, you don't think that the NFL might actually charge for this streaming do you?
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Sorry 60 but I don’t really see a problem here. Of course they will charge for the streaming but you already pay a premium for Sunday Ticket now so why would they stop charging? I have to think they will offer a bundle that allows you to watch everything at home or streaming or both. The advantage is for twits like me who don’t have DirecTV so I can’t get Sunday Ticket. This will open that up to me.
    Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
    Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

I guess that you're right Juk, it just didn't hit me that way when I read it. I really think that eventually the NFL is just going to go ahead and charge the public for their games period. They do that up here for the Red Sox making you subscribe to NESN to watch them and I see football headed in the same direction.

Comment

We hae that in Philly with the Phillies Flyers and Sixers. 90%+ of their games are on NBCSports Philly which is only available on Comcast (it may be available on Verizon but no other outlets.) If you want to watch the games you have to aubscribe to that service.
        Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
        Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Originally posted by Jukin View Post
          We hae that in Philly with the Phillies Flyers and Sixers. 90%+ of their games are on NBCSports Philly which is only available on Comcast (it may be available on Verizon but no other outlets.) If you want to watch the games you have to aubscribe to that service.
          NSEN does the same thing for the Bruins. I don't even know how to watch a Celtic game lol. I think that if you have comcast they sell you a season pass. I guess that the NFL is the only "bargain" in town for locals. It sounds like that's about to change too though. I guess that it's inevitable. It seems to me that if you had to pay for this stuff at least they could get rid of the commercials. Yeah right.

Comment

Free TV is damn near a thing of the past anyway since over the airwave broadcast is so limited (in most people's minds) in programming and tough to find in many areas. The NFL sees another money making opportunity and they will go for it just like the other sports. They will also continue to raise ticket prices like other sports. Until people don't pay for something they will continue to raise the price but people continue to pay. Look at the Phils and Flyers. From my understanding people decided not to pay and attendance continued to drop. Both put more effort into the product put on the ice/field. Phils attendance should be rising.
            Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
            Hope is not a strategy
            RIP

Comment

Working...
            X