Register blog | Columns | Amazon FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read mobile style

Go Back   Philly.Sportscolumn.com > Everything Else > Entertainment

Old 07-09-2006, 09:15 AM   #1
musicman
Hall of Famer

musicman is on a distinguished road
Default Greatest Guitar Players Of All-Time

I'll start with the easy ones, Clapton, Stevie Ray, Jimi,Roy Buchanon, Frank Zappa
Old 07-09-2006, 10:38 AM   #2
leifdawg
2011 Contributor
Hall of Famer

leifdawg is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to leifdawg

Carlos Santana, Robbie Robertson, Robert Johnson

Not a big fan of Phish, but their guitar player is pretty good as is Jerry Garcia.
Old 07-09-2006, 11:24 AM   #3
Vote for Kalas 
2015 Contributor
Hall of Famer

Vote for Kalas has disabled reputation

Trey Anastasio is his name and he is good IMO...

Zappa is #1 IMO...Jimi was sick, but Zappa could play any style, any speed, any way...

Belew
Gilmour
Beck
Townshend
Harrison
Van Halen
Satriani
Reid
Weller

-Andy Reid
Vote for Kalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 05:10 PM   #4
FRESH 
The lesser half...
Hall of Famer

FRESH is on a distinguished road

Easy. Mark Knopfler.
Old 07-09-2006, 05:25 PM   #5
sfphillyfan 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

sfphillyfan will become famous soon enough

I don't listen to Beck but his work on Roger Waters solo albums were phenomenal.
The views and opinions expressed above are those of sfphillyfan and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of EFO or the administration. And to further confuse you, here's a pic of Kate Beckinsale:
:
sfphillyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 12:47 AM   #6
trufresh17
Veteran

trufresh17 has disabled reputation
Send a message via Yahoo to trufresh17

It looks like most all the bases are covered. The prerequisite of this one for me is that when you hear them on the radio or whatever, you know it's them.

Knopfler
Santana
Clapton
BB
Old 07-10-2006, 02:06 PM   #7
crazy like the monkey
Starter

crazy like the monkey has disabled reputation

You've mentioned all my favorites already:

Knopfler
Stevie Ray
Zappa
Townshend
Hendrix

I realize that Clapton is insanely talented, but his stuff has always rubbed me the wrong way for some reason.

Thus the Redskins and their fans are, by definition, insane.
crazy like the monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 02:20 PM   #8
2nd and Arch
Starter

2nd and Arch has disabled reputation

I'm in that minority of freaks that believes the extended guitar solo was pretty much the worst musical invention of the 20th century, so it's little surprise I dislike a lot of the guys listed.

However, I'm very surprised to see no mention of Page 6 posts in. Like Hendrix and Syd Barrett before him, he was a master at expressing himself in many guitar styles and making it sound powerful and emotional.

I actually liked Townshend's energy and relative simplicity, though he's also been responsible for some of the worst guitar (and keyboard) riffs in this history of rock music.

Beck's best work was on the Yardbirds and the first incarnation of the Beck Group where Rod Stewart was singing and they actually did real songs rather than extended blues jams. Page stole a lot from Beck; play the album "Truth" from '68 and compare it to Led Zeppelin I which came out shortly thereafter and it's uncanny.

I can definitely recognize amazing guitar talent and respect it for what it is, but the only guitarists I really like are those in the service of a great song. Which is why I prefer Hendrix and Young for all their sloppiness to their much more talented counterparts like Clapton and Zappa.
2nd and Arch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 04:04 PM   #9
Vote for Kalas 
2015 Contributor
Hall of Famer

Vote for Kalas has disabled reputation

Hey that is not that crazy of an idea 2nd...I have many friends that feel the same in varying degrees...I disagree that Zappa had no great songs...obviously I think he had many...

Page is a big oversight, simply a master at his craft IMO...never thought Barrett would make a list of great guitarists, but within the context of your statement I see what you are driving at...Neil Young I like alot.

Great story about Townshend and Eddie Van Halen in the mid 80's when Eddie was still full of vinegar (and VH actually was worth talking about). Townshend has always been somewhat of a music historian type and very sensitive to his place in the rock pantheon; young guns like Strummer, Weller, Frampton et al. would recieve phone calls or letters from Townshend lauding them for their good music and asking them to jam with him randomly....people normally did not turn him down since most liked Pete, but also because if you did he would write you off for life basically...

Anyway, so the story goes Townshend sends a missive to EVH giving him props and requesting he jam with him...Eddie did not reply so Townshend, a bit miffed, called Eddie and requested again...Eddie said he had never heard Pete's music and asked what album would give him the most insight into it...well, you can imagine Pete was upset and, after a long pause, stated Live at Leeds was their best live album and they were at their best live.

A long time passed with no contact at all from Eddie so finally Townshend called him again, this time angered and wanting to know what Eddie thought of the album...Eddie immediately started laughing and, once he got control of himself again, said it was good especially Townshend's guitar parts which were the best mistakes he had ever heard...Townshend slammed the phone down and that was that.

Story goes that Eddie did reveal to Pete it was a big joke and that Eddie loved The Who etc. So I agree 2nd that Townshend is not a polished product, but his energy, tone and groundbreaking usage of feedback/power chords make him unique...

Clapton to me is too clean...not his Cream, Derek & The Dominoes stuff, but ever since it always seems he is holding back and not letting it go full tilt...too commercial in a lot of ways, but to each his own. He is still a guitar master...

Santana is sick...saw him when Phish opened for him back in the day and he joined Phish for several songs...he and Trey went at it and Trey has talkd since about it being one of his favorite musical moments of his career since he was such a Santana admirer and playing with him only reinforced that..

-Andy Reid
Vote for Kalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 05:16 PM   #10
sfphillyfan 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

sfphillyfan will become famous soon enough

Amazing that Syd Barrett has gotten a mention but no David Gilmour? His work on Shine on You Crazy Diamond parts 1 to 483 were awesome.
The views and opinions expressed above are those of sfphillyfan and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of EFO or the administration. And to further confuse you, here's a pic of Kate Beckinsale:
:
sfphillyfan is offline   Reply With Quote