Rob Lewis was right

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rob Lewis was right

We should have drafted Cook when we had the chance!
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
    We should have drafted Cook when we had the chance!

Minny drafted Cook with the 41st pick. But we should not be envious. We were right not to move up to get him. Howie knew who he wanted. Two picks later we got the steal of the draft by rolling the dice on a guy predicted to go high in the first round...before he tore his Achilles tendon at his Pro Day.

It's taken Sidney more time than expected to fully recover but the risky pick and the Eagles patience has paid off. Jones has developed into a CB that might be able to make the roster of at least one other NFL team. That's might!

Comment

Hindsight always = 20-20. Getting Sidney Jones in the 2nd round was a coup at that point. He was a top 10 talent who fell because of the injury. Now Jones has not paid off, but I would rather gamble and lose than not gamble at all. Also we have no idea on what it would have taken to trade up in front of Minnesota to get him.
      Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Nope. Sydney Jones was never a coup. Drafting is a gamble to begin with. Drafting an injured player is a further gamble. Now, sometimes that gamble can be mitigated if they have a broken wrist or something that is sure to be 100% after healing but ACL, Achilles, etc are injuries that one should not gamble on.
        I will agree however that we do not know if they could've traded up and if they did how it would turn out.
        Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
        Hope is not a strategy
        RIP

Comment

Nope, I remember the conversations well taz. Everyone said that RB was the easiest position to draft and you can get a good Rb later in the draft which I believe is total hogwash. That's true of any position IF you get lucky. I never was in favor of Jones. If he were a Deon Sanders sure but one of them come along once a century and those were the exact words that I used then.

RBs used to be the first players off the board until FA came around. Then the thinking changed for some reason, mostly because their careers are are short for the most part. I never got that part because any guy can leave after 5 years anyway.

Now I have to admit that I wasn't necessarily a Cook guy but rather a BPA guy and he certainly has had his share of injuries. This was more of a comment when I was watching him rip up Dallas last night LOL! Robbie however was adamant, he really wanted Cook period!
          "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

I would have loved to have Dalvin Cook no doubt about it. I was watching him slide and man he looked good. But at the time I think all of us agreed that the Sidney Jones pick looked like a great pick in the Jaylon Smith sort of category. A guy that was going to recover and be an elite corner.

It didn't happen but it has nothing to do with the injury. He just isn't very good.

Remember that prior to his injury he was a top 10-15 pick and the first CB likely to come off the board. And then he got hurt and had successful achilles surgery.

Him not being a player is not the result of his injury and basically EVERYBODY was wrong about him. I'm not going to slight Howie there. Everybody got that one wrong.
            You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
              Nope. Sydney Jones was never a coup. Drafting is a gamble to begin with. Drafting an injured player is a further gamble. Now, sometimes that gamble can be mitigated if they have a broken wrist or something that is sure to be 100% after healing but ACL, Achilles, etc are injuries that one should not gamble on.
              I will agree however that we do not know if they could've traded up and if they did how it would turn out.

Agree. I don't like gambling a sweet draft choice (high 2nd round is 'sweet' IMO) on a highly regarded skill player who has gone down with a serious leg injury shortly before the draft. What makes the Jones pick even more for painful is that the swine Jerrah similarly gambled on Jaylon Smith, who tore both his MCL and ACL in a post season bowl game, and appears to have rolled a come out "7".
              My memory is not so good but I don't recall the Birds ever hitting on a long odds gamble. If I'm wrong, please refresh my memory. Seriously. I could use a positive Eagles recollection about now 'cause I'm feeling pretty pessimistic about the direction of this team.

Comment

Working...
              X