• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talk about bullshit rule changes check this one out

NFL to try out onside kick alternative at Pro Bowl

Jan
    1/21/2020 11:37:46 AM
    |More
    The NFL will experiment with an alternative to the onside kick during Sunday's Pro Bowl, an indication that the league is still considering the option despite the fact that owners rejected it last year, Kevin Seifert of ESPN reports.

As in past years, there will be no kickoffs at all in the Pro Bowl. The twist this year is that teams will have two options after scoring.

The first is to give the ball back to the opposition, which would start its drive at its 25-yard line. The new, second option for the scoring team would serve as a substitute for an onside kick. It would allow it to run one additional play from its own 25-yard line.

If the scoring team gains 15 or more yards, it would retain possession. If it falls short, the opposition would take over at the dead ball spot. Essentially, it will be a fourth-and-15 play.

Onside kicks have been more difficult to recover since the NFL's 2018 overhaul of the kickoff. Among other changes, the new rule prevented the kickoff team from getting a running start before the kick. Onside kick recoveries dropped from the league's historic rate of about 21% through the 2017 season to 7.7% in 2018 and 12.9% in 2019.

The Denver Broncos proposed a similar change last winter, but owners voted it down in March. The NFL does not always adopt Pro Bowl rule changes, but the presence of the onside kick alternative is an indication that at least some league decision-makers would like to see it in action.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

An onside kick should be incredibly difficult. I would like to understand conversion rates of 4th and fifteen and 3rd and fifteen historically to see how they compare. To me it seems much easier to convert the 4th and fifteen than recover an on-side kick but without actual stats I am just another ignorant fool on the internet.

A defensive penalty like holding or PI would give the ball to the offense while there is no such equivalent on an on-side attempt.

Comment

Originally posted by Vet Turf View Post
      An onside kick should be incredibly difficult. I would like to understand conversion rates of 4th and fifteen and 3rd and fifteen historically to see how they compare. To me it seems much easier to convert the 4th and fifteen than recover an on-side kick but without actual stats I am just another ignorant fool on the internet.

A defensive penalty like holding or PI would give the ball to the offense while there is no such equivalent on an on-side attempt.
      Yup. You hit on all points there vet. If you want to change a rule make that friekin yellow line official and stop all the wasted time and wrong decisions for that matter.

Comment

just go back to the old rule
        You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

I know that they want to make the game more exciting. But, I am with you guys. Onside kicks should be very difficult to recover.

Comment

Are they consulting with Vince MacMahon for this shit ?
            We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by musicman View Post
              Are they consulting with Vince MacMahon for this shit ?
              Good one!

Comment

Working...
              X