A lot of over reaction hype because we beat a shit team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A lot of over reaction hype because we beat a shit team

Was the Giants game a turning point for Carson Wentz and the Eagles?
    By Brandon Lee Gowton

PHILADELPHIA -- The energy between quarterback Carson Wentz and his playmakers bounced a little bit differently in the immediate aftermath of the Philadelphia Eagles' 23-17 comeback win in overtime against the New York Giants on Monday night.

Actually, by this time, it was Tuesday morning, but the Eagles' locker room was still buzzing over what went down.

"That's a bad man right there," rookie running back Miles Sanders said of Wentz. "He played a hell of a game, especially when it counted."

Wentz shook off a bad first half and led the Eagles to 20 straight unanswered points, tossing a pair of late touchdown passes to tight end Zach Ertz, including one in overtime to seal the win. It was Wentz's first fourth-quarter comeback of the season and his first overtime win as a pro, and it came in the final pressure-packed moments of a must-win game on a rain-drenched field while working with a skeleton crew on offense.

Eagles coach Doug Pederson called it the finest performance of Wentz's career, and that includes the many flashes the quarterback had during a near-MVP campaign in 2017. "I think this would have to be his No. 1 game, quite honestly," Pederson said.

"To be down the way we were, and to lose another receiver [Alshon Jeffery], to lose your right tackle [Lane Johnson], and to really step up and make the plays in those conditions, too, I feel like that's the best he's played," Pederson said. "Something he can continue to grow and work on."

As Wentz, 26, walked around the locker room after the game, he passed a cluster of stalls filled with some of the unlikely difference-makers in the game, such as running back Boston Scott and receivers JJ Arcega-Whiteside and Greg Ward. He stopped to give each a fist bump and a word of praise for rising to the occasion.

"I've got to stop cramping up on you late in games," a bright-eyed Arcega-Whiteside said, explaining why he missed some snaps down the stretch. There was no mistaking who the Eagles' leader was during that interaction, and who was eager to please whom. It's a young, impressionable group, after all, and QB1 just made a heck of an impression.

The win was important in terms of the 2019 playoff chase, but the greater significance here is that Wentz went a long way in shaping himself as a closer in the eyes of his teammates, which Pederson anticipates will have a carryover effect.

"I think he gains more confidence with his teammates, in him and his ability. Listen, I played with one of the greatest fourth-quarter quarterbacks in Brett Favre, and really Dan Marino for that matter, but Brett Favre for eight years. You can see it, when it gets crunch time, you put it on the quarterback, and guys rally," Pederson said.

"That's what we saw [Monday]. I think that's now what you're going to see, and hopefully you see as we continue to grow as a team, hopefully years to come, that's the case, that the guys now can ascend around Carson, and we can put it on his shoulders and say, 'Hey, let's go win the game.'"
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

It wasn't that great of a win because the giants are terrible
    but
    It was a good effort to rally in the second half using practice squad players.

Can't it be both?

Comment

The only thing that I took out of the Giants game was that it might be a confidence builder for the team.

With all the injuries and bad losses, they needed a spark.

Unless some of these young guys play over their heads and we can get Lane back for Dallas, I don't expect much in the way of playoffs this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Pliny View Post
        The only thing that I took out of the Giants game was that it might be a confidence builder for the team.

With all the injuries and bad losses, they needed a spark.

Unless some of these young guys play over their heads and we can get Lane back for Dallas, I don't expect much in the way of playoffs this year.
        This Sunday will be no picnic. They seem to beat us once a year and we're going down there with a glorified jv team.
        "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

It was very nice, as incredibly banged up and shorthanded as they are, that they came back and beat the Giants. Some of the raw youngsters really flashed talent to look forward to. But really! This was the Godawful Giants.

So please Doug, until it happens at least another time or two...keep the lofty expectations to yourself. It makes you look grasping and stupid.

And BTW, Brett Farve was a flaming, self-promoting asshole, as some of his mates have discretely allowed.

Comment

You know Carson hasn’t exactly played in the best weather this past month. 3 of 4 games had wind or rain. Miami he played well enough to win. I get that he is in the Northeast and weather is a factor but also maybe we need to cut him some slack with these WRs and the weather and wind.
            You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

And you still take what the media sez as some sort of truth or fact????

Believe your eyes!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
              X