(WAY OT) A question for the retirees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (WAY OT) A question for the retirees

Would you spend more time earning more to have more or would you spend more time living and sharing time with family ? At 53 and having spent so much of my life at work and missing way too much, I'm just looking for some insight. I have 3 grandkids under 3 years of age, kids all under 30 and a comfortable life(will never be rich) and a seriously calming cabin in the woods. I don't know if I'll ever have enough socked away, but I work in a profession where it's highly unlikely that I live past 67. Asphalt workers just don't last long. Very interested in your hindsight.
    We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Get out as soon as you can. Life is short. I'm 65 now and I'm afraid to answer the phone because it's never good news at my age. Somebody is always in trouble.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Tough call MM. I'm 62 and although collecting Social Security, I still spend @ 20 Hrs a week on the phone in Sales. Your business is different because you're doing physical labor. If you can still do it, I would SERIOUSLY consider retiring at 55 because you can't do the asphalt gig part time, as you know.Personally I thought no physical ailments could slow me down until I had numerous mini-strokes that have still caused me problems. Made me realize that Life is too short so enjoy all the time you have with Family. Like I said, tough call but I would sock away as much as you can over the next 2 years & hang it up at 55. Best of Luck to you My Friend.
      Just give me ONE before I go!

Comment

My situation is a bit unique, as I am not that old. But....I do have an opinion about this. Fact is that I still work PT, because I like doing it. I would do that if I were 70. I don't regret or resent working. However, my regret is that I didn't do more things that I wanted to do, and would love to do still today, while I was still physically capable. I wish I had spent more time travelling, mountain climbing, surfing different destinations, scuba diving all over the world, doing adventurous treks, etc. The physical limitations I now have are what makes me want to cry over wasted time.

Bottom line, if you have things that you always wanted to do, and can still do them.....DO THEM!
        http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

I am 50, have a 15 and have 11 and 15 year old daughters. I make a comfortable living, but am in the office for 60 hours a week or more. Having college and weddings in my future and making the decision to have my wife at home is part of our formula. It works for us, but let me tell you about my parents and what happened 16 years ago.

We were 40 weeks pregnant with a son. My father was traveling with his job, trying to get a house ready for other grand children and wishing that time would allow for the grandkids to not come. We lost the baby on our due date. It was life changing for us, but also for my father as well. It was to be his namesake and he was a large part of the healing process. That was June 12. On July 5, he walked into his employer of almost 40 years at the age of 60 and told them he was retiring in two weeks. They balked and said he could not retire mid month. So, he told them he would donate the two weeks, and his retirement date was June 30. True story. We talked and he realized his priorities were all backwards. Distance and age limit the time he spends with my kids, but he is an active part of all the grandchildrens' life and has managed just fine with a house on the beach in Florida and a camp house outside of Bar Harbor.

I guess the decision is yours, but at the end of the day, make sure the decision is made with time to enjoy the results.

Comment

I'm going to have to work until noon on the day of my funeral.

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglebreath View Post
              I'm going to have to work until noon on the day of my funeral.
              That's my biggest fear. Or even dying at work
              We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by kyfred View Post
                I am 50, have a 15 and have 11 and 15 year old daughters. I make a comfortable living, but am in the office for 60 hours a week or more. Having college and weddings in my future and making the decision to have my wife at home is part of our formula. It works for us, but let me tell you about my parents and what happened 16 years ago.

We were 40 weeks pregnant with a son. My father was traveling with his job, trying to get a house ready for other grand children and wishing that time would allow for the grandkids to not come. We lost the baby on our due date. It was life changing for us, but also for my father as well. It was to be his namesake and he was a large part of the healing process. That was June 12. On July 5, he walked into his employer of almost 40 years at the age of 60 and told them he was retiring in two weeks. They balked and said he could not retire mid month. So, he told them he would donate the two weeks, and his retirement date was June 30. True story. We talked and he realized his priorities were all backwards. Distance and age limit the time he spends with my kids, but he is an active part of all the grandchildrens' life and has managed just fine with a house on the beach in Florida and a camp house outside of Bar Harbor.

I guess the decision is yours, but at the end of the day, make sure the decision is made with time to enjoy the results.
                KY, that's terrinle. My condolences for your loss, much belated of course.
                http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

I know that I PMed you with my thoughts but I want to add something. I see guys working for their "kids" their whole lives and I think that's bullshit. Let them grow up! My parents told me I was on my own after college and it was the best thing that they ever did for me. My college was free because I had a football scholarship but my Dad had plenty of dough. He bought me a car and said that's it when I got out. I retired at 57 and never looked back.
                  "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

I have a different perspective because I did take 3 years off when I was 49. I was very happy being retired and spent a lot of time playing Frisbee with my dog and at the beach.

I reentered the workforce when I was 52 and that has worked out great as well. Because I am a CPA and just prepare tax returns, I am swamped from Feb 15 to April 15 (I was only out of the office 2 days during that period last year). However I did take off every Monday and Friday this summer and I have plenty of time for the Eagles in the fall. I have season tickets and go to 2 road games every year.

I have 2 kids and 1 granddaughter with a second on the way. I do make the time to spend some with them, but they are busy living their lives and don't have a lot of time during the week as well. When my granddaughter was born, my wife spent 2 days a week taking care of her to cut down the cost of daycare. With the new one coming in March, she may do that again. She likes when I am there too and I did that as well.

What works for us is the summer (my daughter is a teacher) so she comes to our shore house for 2 full weeks during the summer and some other weekends.

I really enjoy my work and I don't think I would be spending more time with the kids if I was fully retired. My wife and I go out to dinner every night (we live in NYC so there are a ton of options, many of which are quite reasonable). I work on my own now so I can quit whenever I want so long as my clients are taken care of. I have decided I want to keep doing this until I am 70 (it is inside work with no heavy lifting so I can keep going for a while). I am 61 now

If I was working in a more physical job, I don't think I would fee this way, but it does keep me out of trouble. I did make a bucket list when I was about 40 and wanted to get everything done by 60. I am almost there. Still need to get to Egypt to see the Pyramids and I was supposed to do that on a cruise but they cancelled the stop due to the uprisings a few years back.

There is no right or wrong answer to this. My advice is to decide what is most important to you and do that. You only get one shot at life and you don't want to end with regrets (or as few as possible-none of us get this right 100%)

Comment

Originally posted by eagles2000 View Post
                      I have a different perspective because I did take 3 years off when I was 49. I was very happy being retired and spent a lot of time playing Frisbee with my dog and at the beach.

I reentered the workforce when I was 52 and that has worked out great as well. Because I am a CPA and just prepare tax returns, I am swamped from Feb 15 to April 15 (I was only out of the office 2 days during that period last year). However I did take off every Monday and Friday this summer and I have plenty of time for the Eagles in the fall. I have season tickets and go to 2 road games every year.

I have 2 kids and 1 granddaughter with a second on the way. I do make the time to spend some with them, but they are busy living their lives and don't have a lot of time during the week as well. When my granddaughter was born, my wife spent 2 days a week taking care of her to cut down the cost of daycare. With the new one coming in March, she may do that again. She likes when I am there too and I did that as well.

What works for us is the summer (my daughter is a teacher) so she comes to our shore house for 2 full weeks during the summer and some other weekends.

I really enjoy my work and I don't think I would be spending more time with the kids if I was fully retired. My wife and I go out to dinner every night (we live in NYC so there are a ton of options, many of which are quite reasonable). I work on my own now so I can quit whenever I want so long as my clients are taken care of. I have decided I want to keep doing this until I am 70 (it is inside work with no heavy lifting so I can keep going for a while). I am 61 now

If I was working in a more physical job, I don't think I would fee this way, but it does keep me out of trouble. I did make a bucket list when I was about 40 and wanted to get everything done by 60. I am almost there. Still need to get to Egypt to see the Pyramids and I was supposed to do that on a cruise but they cancelled the stop due to the uprisings a few years back.

There is no right or wrong answer to this. My advice is to decide what is most important to you and do that. You only get one shot at life and you don't want to end with regrets (or as few as possible-none of us get this right 100%)
                      You are a fortunate man. And a kindred spirit, it would appear.

Comment

In the end, very few people wish they had spent more time at work. I retired at 60. Had our retirement house in FL already bought (think your cabin) Not rich, I could work until 110 and I would not be rich. Had 2 very close friends die in the last year from cancer. One was 63 the other 62. I am "working" as a starter/ranger on a very nice golf course. It's minimum wage, but my habit I mean hobby is free. During the summer I get comped on other courses. My Dad was a roadworker, drove an asphalt truck. Great health until 70 and then 5 years of never ending strokes until they finally took his life. Life is short. I worked 10-12-14 hour days for a lot of years. Laid over in cities too many times. Missed a whole lot of stuff. Definitely enjoying life now!

Comment

I have been retired for two years and haven't regretted it one day.

As others have mentioned, retirement (if you can afford it!) is a personal choice. Many people get bored in retirement. However, if you have grand kids or hobbies, you won't be bored.

Being retired also gives you the opportunity to travel, which I highly recommend.
                          "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

MM.

My work was not at all physically demanding but it had long since stopped being fulfilling by the time I hit my early 50s. I retired the very moment I was eligible at 59, in part by buying back the 2 years I spent in the military. My pension would be larger and I could have socked away some more in my IRA had I worked a few more years but my 'free time' has always been way more important to me than money. I regret a number of things I've done in my life but retiring as early as I could is not one of them.

IMO, virtually no one ever dies wishing they'd spent more time on the job.

Comment

mm, no one can say what another should do because circumstances are all different but I would throw two things at you. Do you like your work and do you have something to do after you stop working. I am 61 and retiring Jan 1. I have enough to live on (hopefully that will stay true) but don't vacation all the time. Good friends take 4-5 cruises a year but that is something I wouldn't be able to do. But I have stuff I want to do. Grandson that plays junior hockey in Mich so I want to go there. Other grandson playing HS hockey and I want to see more of those games. I fish or hunt locally every week and take 4-5 small fishing trips per year. Work is okay but I don't 'enjoy' it; it isn't physically taxing so I could do it but I want to do the other stuff more.
                              So, I would say make sure you have something to do other than just stop work. You may be bored or, as a brother in law did, go down a bad path by filling his time at the bar.
                              Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                              Hope is not a strategy
                              RIP

Comment

Working...
                              X