Another year passes by....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another year passes by....

I just realized something. I started following this sad sack franchise in 1987. So, this will be year 30. Hard to believe it's been 30 years. It's also hard to believe all the shit we've been through, the guy in France, the Paup heard round the world, the first NFL free agents..Keith Jackson, Byars, Wille Jerome dying, Reggie leaving for GB, Ritchie the K, Ray Rhodes, all the NFCC losses, losing the SB to a team that cheated, TO, Juan Castillo as DC, Chip Kelly cutting Jackson and trading Shady, and on and on and on and that's just off the top of my head.

Why in the hell would anyone willingly put up with 30 years of this shit?? I don't f'ing know, but I'll be back again next season like a dumbass.

So, out of curiosity, how many years has it been for the rest of you masochists?

Who knows. Maybe too many drugs in my youth. My brother is 75 and I blame him. He started me as early as I can remember so I think early 60s.
    I remember sitting in the vet in 72 or 73 with my two brothers eating hoagies and believing that I would do that every year. But that as the last game I attended
    Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
    Hope is not a strategy
    RIP

Comment

I started in 1959 as an 8 year old but didn't pay a much attention really because they sucked so bad that they were a joke around school. They got smoked the first game the next season and I lost interest again until they won a few in a row. Only home games were televised so they weren't on all that much but as they kept winning barnburners they became the talk of the town. Every game came down to the end and they would win. Van Brocklynn, McDonald, Retzlaff were huge names and Dean emerged as a great halfback. They played GB for the Championship and won another barnburner and won yet again as Dean had a huge kickoff return to set up his TD as we all listened on the radio. Everybody ran out into the backyards when they won as Chuck brought down Jim Taylor on our own 9 yard line. The team challenged for the NFC East for a few years afterwards but would lose out to the fuckin Giants every year which developed my hatred to this day. The team then sucked for about 15 years until Vermeil showed up. Anyway it's been 57 years of heartache since.

The one thing that they did do for me was grow an intense love of football that at least got me into college on a scholarship to play. OF course that lead to me being a physical mess but i'm sure that I'd do it all over again. Hell, I'd play tomorrow if I could!
      "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Been a Diehard since 1960 when the Dutchman, Tommy Mac, Retzlaff, & Co won the Championship. Seen alot of Crazy Shit & don't forget the "Fogbowl". I know I'm responsible for bringing EB into the mix but didn't realize it's been 30 years. As Alex Trebek would say "Not to worry" it's coming Finally some Day!
        Just give me ONE before I go!

Comment

Started in 1979 as a 7 year old. So that makes 38 seasons. My brother was an annoying Cowboys fan so I picked a much more likeable team. Green was my favourite color and the QB shared my name.
          Life would have been so much easier if I picked a different team or switched teams as a kid because if you're from Canada you can just pick the best team (and most do).
          I'll be all in until I'm in the grave, I don't have a choice.
          Canada's #1 Eagles fan.

Comment

I started watching when I was a young lad, I remember the 1980 Super Bowl loss, then the down Marion Campbell years followed up by some of the funnest years when Buddy was here. That team might have been the biggest tease of all professional sports. They couldn't win a playoff game but had one of the best defenses ever and the ultimate weapon. On to the Kotite my chart is wet years, to the Ray Rhodes break into your house years, to the Andy Reid times yours year, Chip Kelly the every was fast years to know the Pederson years.

I love being an Eagles fan but there has been a lot of losing and a lot frustration along the way. My heart thinks they will win a Super Bowl in my lifetime, reality tells me something different.
            Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

1967 for me. I am crossing my fingers that Carson Wentz is the guy and that by surrounding him with some weapons, along with a decent secondary, will put us over the top eventually.

Comment

Started as a pup a Dolphins fan. Loved the Phillies, the Sixers and the Flyers so decided why not love all Philly teams. Switched in 1975 after Pittsburgh won its first. Just knew Philly would be next. Still waiting......

But cant leave em! Too much invested in them.

Comment

I remember as a young kid being a Chiefs fan when Lenny Dawson was throwing to Otis Taylor. When I was 13 or 14 I became an Eagles fan, I don't remember why. Roman Gabriel was our QB.
                  Fly EaglesFly!

Comment

Originally posted by beagle View Post
                    I remember as a young kid being a Chiefs fan when Lenny Dawson was throwing to Otis Taylor. When I was 13 or 14 I became an Eagles fan, I don't remember why. Roman Gabriel was our QB.
                    I loved Otis Taylor!

Comment

Originally posted by beagle View Post
                      Gabriel was nicknamed the Messiah when he got traded to Philly because he took the team from horse crap to the runner up bowl when it was still in existence (the second place team in each of the two divisions played each other). Then the white hats came out and it was brutal for 10 years, and I mean BRUTAL!!!
                      "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

1980 for me. Probably was too young to really understand most of it. I can remember being a "die-hard" during the swamp fox era. That pretty much says it all.

Comment

Mid 50's ...................................1950's......... ......................So sad.

Comment

72ish for me
                            We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

The first Eagles game I remember watching at least part of was Super Bowl XV (15). I became an Eagles fan in earnest the next season (1981).

Comment

Working...
                              X