• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We're not going to the White House

President Trump cancels Philadelphia Eagles White House visit

JILL COLVIN
    Updated seconds ago
    President Donald Trump has called off a visit by the Philadelphia Eagles to the White House Tuesday due to the dispute over whether NFL players must stand during the playing of the national anthem.

Trump says in a statement that some members of the Super Bowl championship team "disagree with their President because he insists that they proudly stand for the National Anthem, hand on heart."

Trump says the team wanted to send a smaller delegation, but fans who planned to attend "deserve better."

He says he'll instead be hosting "a different type of ceremony" with the U.S. Marine Band.

The NFL recently announced a new policy requiring players to stand for the anthem if they're on the field before a game. Trump had suggested players who kneel be fired.

The White House Press Secretary released the following Monday at 7 p.m.:

The Philadelphia Eagles are unable to come to the White House with their full team to be celebrated tomorrow. They disagree with their President because he insists that they proudly stand for the National Anthem, hand on heart, in honor of the great men and women of our military and the people of our country. The Eagles wanted to send a smaller delegation, but the 1,000 fans planning to attend the event deserve better. These fans are still invited to the White House to be part of a different type of ceremony-one that will honor our great country, pay tribute to the heroes who fight to protect it, and loudly and proudly play the National Anthem. I will be there at 3:00 p.m. with the United States Marine Band and the United States Army Chorus to celebrate America.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Didn't see it coming but not shocked.

Comment

Well, this just opened up a different can of worms.

Oh, well, more time to prep for our Title defense.

Comment

It's too bad those unpatriotic players made the President revoke the entire invitation. They left him no choice but to cancel the whole thing because "the fans deserve better".

So, instead of the fans getting to see the Eagles players that did plan to come to the White House, they'll get to see the Marine Band playing "loudly and proudly".

But maybe the band will really surprise the fans and run "The Philly Special".

Comment

hahahahahahahahaha
          Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
          Hope is not a strategy
          RIP

Comment

Originally posted by tinopuno View Post
            It's too bad those unpatriotic players made the President revoke the entire invitation. They left him no choice but to cancel the whole thing because "the fans deserve better".

So, instead of the fans getting to see the Eagles players that did plan to come to the White House, they'll get to see the Marine Band playing "loudly and proudly".

But maybe the band will really surprise the fans and run "The Philly Special".
            And now the circus begins. Not how I wanted our preseason to begin.

Comment

In a league so focused on brand I’m not sure singling yourself out is a good idea. You think they didn’t get a lot of calls last year just wait.
              You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

http://www.phillyvoice.com/twitter-r...-philadelphia/
                Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                Hope is not a strategy
                RIP

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                  And now the circus begins. Not how I wanted our preseason to begin.

Don't jump off any bridges just yet. We've both said it repeatedly, "Just one before I die." Well, they got it for us despite almost everything being against them. We got our one...it's all gravy from here on out. I'd love 3 or 4 more but ...we've got what we wanted so much and for so long.

This could be a distraction or maybe it won't. Maybe it will be fodder. Remember, this is a team that fed lustily on being dissed and it melded them together. They chewed on adversity, spit it out and said, "Fuck you, may I have another?"

Let's wait and see.

Comment

Don't jump off any bridges just yet. We've both said it repeatedly, "Just one before I die." Well, they got it for us despite almost everything being against them. We got our one...it's all gravy from here on out. I'd love 3 or 4 more but ...we've got what we wanted so much and for so long.

This could be a distraction or maybe it won't. Maybe it will be fodder. Remember, this is a team that fed lustily on being dissed and it melded them together. They chewed on adversity, spit it out and said, "Fuck you, may I have another?"

Let's wait and see.
                    Fantastic thought tino! That's the best thing that I've read since we won the SB! It was great that we won one but I'll be just as hungry in September as I always am. Damn I love this team.

Comment

[QUOTE=Eagle60;324526. Damn I love this team.[/QUOTE]

FUCKIN' A WELL TOLD!

I tried to find the quote and couldn't. Didn't Kelce say during the parade /celebration something to the effect..."YOU DON'T LIKE US? WELL, FUCK YOU!! WE'RE THE PHILADELPHIA EAGLES!!"

Comment

FUCKIN' A WELL TOLD!

I tried to find the quote and couldn't. Didn't Kelce say during the parade /celebration something to the effect..."YOU DON'T LIKE US? WELL, FUCK YOU!! WE'RE THE PHILADELPHIA EAGLES!!"
                        Yup. When he was running with the crowd he was changing the song a little throwing Eagles in where it was supposed to be Philly. Beer will do that to you sometimes.

Comment

Lol

Comment

Will state my position just the one time---

I am deeply disappointed, that my team, especially after all these years, will not be able to celebrate their SB win on the national stage. Very.

After saying that I feel that this thing has steadily been getting more political year after year after year. And it has been the players and teams making it this way over the past years. Players and teams have decided that this was a way to show their displeasure or resistance using a celebration as a showplace, not as a celebration.

And this isn't new it started sometime ago and to many Presidents. Frankly I didn't like it then and I don't like it now. While I acknowledge that they have the "right" to protest, resist, and even badmouth and twitter--- I also have the right to disagree about their methods.

They (the players) have brought this to a head... When you have to have a "vote" as to whether to attend or not, when you have to "discuss" as a team whether to go or not, When to team owner questions whether the team should go or not--- it's time to maybe reconsider the whole tradition of this WH thing.

And Trump did--- he basically said if you can not take this just as the honor it was meant to be, or if (as one ESPN report states) very few were going to attend, and you are going to make this celebration into a political thing--- then Fuck off.

I watch and follow sports for the sports--- not politics.
                            I watch entertainment (just like movies) to be entertained-- not lectured on social dissent.
                            I watch for relief from the realities of daily life, not more immersion into it.
                            I watch and follow for me--- not to be the sounding board and captive audience for Actors and Athletes. Frankly it pisses me off every time I hear an actor or player tell me what is the right way or wrong way to look at a topic--- they aren't any smarter than anybody else is!! They are pompous and arrogant ANYTIME they preach or bring politics into my world uninvited.

So while I truly am disappointed, I am tired of pampered millionaires telling me how to think and act --- on my time.

So while I agree Trump took a bold step here--- I lay the blame directly at the feet of the players (past and present) for creating the this They decided to make this celebration into a political situation/statement. And frankly I hope this tradition now goes by the wayside until the players can decide to lay politics aside and just see this as an honor and celebration.

I know the snowflakes and the people immersed in TDS will strongly disagree and undoubtedly will blame Trump--- and that's ok, it's what they do. But the bottom line this didn't start with Trump or Obama, this has been building and Trump is now saying enough is enough.
                            Last edited by MDFAN; 06-05-2018, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Nope. Not the players

Big name players have skipped going for years. No president has ever uttered a word about the freedom of a players choice in this country

That isn’t new. What is new is the current leader and how everything is about him

One really has to be blinded to see it any other way

Comment

Working...
                              X