Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT:All Right I'm Calling you all out, one by one 1st MD!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: OT:All Right I'm Calling you all out, one by one 1st MD!

Born in 1964, spent my first 3 years in Folcroft. This was a horrible place for my family, especially when you are the wrong color, we spent a lot of time in the newspapers and on the television news. We moved to the West Mount Airy section of Philly, where I lived through high school. My earliest memories of sports was the 1972 season, I believe Steve Carlton won 27 games and the Phillies won a total of 54 with Denny Doyle, Terry Harmon, Willie Montanez, and a late call up of a young Schmidt and Luzinski. I went to my first Phillies game at the Vet for 50 cents and sat in the 700 level with a glove and wonder why no balls were hit anywhere close to me. The Sixers lost the most games in NBA history, which still stands to this day. I went to my first Sixers game with the Cub Scouts against the Houston Rockets and guess what they lost and very badly. The Eagles were horrible and I did not pay attention to them. What made things worst is my father's side of the family is from South Florida (Miami to Palm Beach), I use to spend a large part of my summer in Miami. The Dolphins were in their glory, and the cousin/nephew from Philly heard all the trash talk. This is why I do not talk a lot of trash to people to this day. The only Philly team on the right track was the Flyers I became a diehard fan. They had a very young Bobby Clarke, Barry Asbee, Gary Dordhoffer, and Doug Favell in goal. Those were the dark day of Philly sports, but it was great watching all the teams ascend of the rest of the decade. The Flyers were first of course, I attended both parades(I saw my 1st of several streakers at '74 parade). The Phillies and Sixers turn around started in 1976, also a guy name Dick Vermeil came to town. Growing up at this time, I played all the sports, including street & roller hockey. My parents were not big sports fan, but they never discouraged me. They would divorce a few years later and I rebelled a little during that period. A neighbor took me under his wing and became like a big brother to me, and would invite me to watch the Eagles games with him on Sundays. This when I started down the path of diehard Eagles fan, Mike Boryla and Roman Gabriel were the QBs. I believe we traded our best player TE Charley Young for a QB named Jaworski. The Phillies could not get past the Dodgers, and the Sixers were on the "You own me __” tour (Who thought up that slogan?). 1980 was the year of years, all the teams in the Championships and we got one. If I had to pick which one of the 4 teams would win a championship, it would not have been the Phillies (1.Eagles, 2. Flyers, 3. Sixers, 4. Phillies). The Phillies vs. the Astros the greatest NCLS ever, they beat Nolan Ryan and J.R. Richards. The Phillies parade was the only Philadelphia championship parade I did not attend, and I regret it to this day. I was in high school, and my high school football coach was my homeroom advisor. I could not cut class and show for football practice without going unnoticed. Half the football team was at the parade; but not my dumb--- self. I attended Frankford HS('82), which was across town. I played football and ran track for a great coach Al Angelo, who molded us to be good men more than athletes. I began to go to Eagles training camps over next decade (80's), my best friend played football at West Chester U. and the held their camps there. The Birds would hire the college players to work their camps, and I would go there and get up close and personal with Eagles (early Buddy Ryan era) thanks to my friend. I knew a lot of those teams secrets from my training camp trips, and for the most part they were down to earth guys. I went to college at Morgan State University('86) in Baltimore in 1982, and met my wife to be a year later.The college years were great, but should have studied harder. I never would return to Philly to live on a permanent basis again, most of my immediate family move out in the '90's. I have been married for 19 years next month, and have a son, 16 and a daughter, 10. He is an athlete (football & track) and she a dancer(competitive); they keep me grounded and very busy with their schedules. My wife is from the DC Maryland suburbs and is a Skins fan, we both tried to convert each other, but it was not worth a divorce. All my In-laws are Skins fans too, they do not mess with me much because they know I take my sports serious (sometimes too serious). It has been frustrating watching the Redskins win 3 Super Bowls over the years of me living here, along with the Ravens winning one, too. I have worked in transportation for 21 years; I spent 10 years with the Baltimore Sun in the '90's. How did a telecommunications major wind up in transportation? It is a long story. I have always kept up with Philly stuff via newspaper subscriptions before the internet; I would drive to Capital Hill in DC for an Inquirer or Daily News among other places. The internet saved me a lot of travel time; I found the Philly.Com board, then Philaphan, and now here. I am draftnix and have been one since the ‘80’s. I still follow all the teams, with the Eagles being number one. I am a Penn State football fan and a Villanova basketball fan (I miss the Big 5 triple-headers on channel 17).

Thanks for letting me ramble, and I'm still waiting for next parade (23 years and counting{Villanova}).

Comment

Thanks for sharing BBF---- I have a brother in law that works for the Sun.... has for like 40 years he is an editor of some sort there Bayne is the last name.

You get the next choice BBF.............

Comment

Who's left? Took a brief look at the members list. Has any of the following gone yet? PhillyfanOh, Jmucj, Will, L-Money

Comment

GWE and LT have both gone already ---- so the bat signal has gone out to JMUCJ.........................

Comment

Bump. This thread needs to continue through the summer. Come on guys, anyone who hasn't told us their story - nows your chance!
            Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
            Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Working...
            X