No announcement yet.

Luries hatred for the past.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks Steve. I don't see any point in preordering 5 months in advance.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pliny
      Thanks Steve. I don't see any point in preordering 5 months in advance.
      Except from the Eagles standpoint because they then know the interest level and how much to make on the first run!

Comment

• Originally posted by PhillyJack
        Some clarification regarding the transition of the Yellow Jackets to the Eagles.

http://ghosts.footballhistory.org/Yellowjackets.htm

On July 8, 1933, the NFL awarded the former Frankford franchise to a syndicate headed by Bert Bell and Lud Wray, a former Yellow Jackets' player, in return for $2500 and payment of 25 percent of the outstanding Yellow Jackets' debts. Bell and Wray formed a new team under the franchise, which they christened the Philadelphia Eagles in honor of the symbol of Franklin D. Roosevelt's New Deal Recovery Act. Wray coached the club for its first three seasons. The Eagles went on to win championships in 1948, 1949 and 1960, and to this day remain a playoff caliber championship contender.

Many fans mistakenly believe that a simple name change transformed the Frankford Yellow Jackets into the Philadelphia Eagles, but that is not the case. Bell and Wray did not buy the Frankford Yellow Jackets but rather the franchise, or license to field a team in the National Football League, that formerly belonged to the Frankford Athletic Association. That franchise had been revoked by the league in the wake of the Yellow Jackets' collapse in 1931. As licensees Bell and Wray then formed an entirely new team to operate under the old franchise.

Another fact unknown to most Eagles fans is that the old Yellow Jackets' franchise is today held by the Pittsburgh Steelers, not the Philadelphia Eagles. This is because in April of 1941, in a rather confusing move, the Eagles and Steelers swapped franchises. Eagles' co-owners Bert Bell and Art Rooney took their franchise (then Eagles' but formerly Yellow Jackets') to Pittsburgh and assumed control of the Steelers, while Steelers' owner Alexis Thompson brought his Steelers' franchise (originally Pirates') to Philadelphia and took over control of the Birds.

In the final analysis, the Philadelphia Eagles of today are neither a direct continuation of the Frankford Yellow Jackets, nor do they any longer possess even ties on paper to that once great club. Even so, they most certainly have deep historical roots in the 'eleven' of old that once brought pride to the entire city by taking a small Philly neighborhood to the pinnacle of professional football.
        Thanks Jack,,,, Kinda ironic actually.

Comment

• I will probably buy something small to celebrate the commemoration, but no way am I spending big money on an ugly jersey.

I imagine that there are people who will 'cause the basketball and baseball retro jerseys did well for a time.
          www.disciplerocks.com

Comment

• Originally posted by MDFAN
            I agree with Freshie,, want to disagree? Fine no problem, but we don't need the name calling, from anybody.
            I'll third that.
            Whatcha Gonna Do Brother, When the Eagles run wild on you?

Comment

Working...
            X