Washburn fired

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thoughtprocess View Post
    i know that most everyone here is expecting reid to be shown the exit at season's end, but what if he is allowed to play out the last year of his contract if he agrees to cede some control to the gm? I find it a bit difficult to believe that washburn's dismissal was solely reid's call. Of course if washburn was as disruptive as implied, then in that instance i can see reid casting him overboard unilaterally. Still, these late-season moves make me wonder whether reid will actually survive the coming purge. (insert kremlinology reference here!)
    you shut up. You shut up now!

Comment

Originally posted by Leonard Tose View Post
      I do find these moves to can Babin and Washburn a bit confusing, they aren't the actions of a coach who is expecting to be out of a job at the end of the year.
      This is my suspicion too. The timing of these actions make me wonder if Reid just might be sticking around. Conversley, it could be a head-start on the off-season housecleaning!

Comment

No shot Reid is back next year. Lurie is not that dumb, he has apathathy right now with his fan base, he brings Reid back he will have an all out revolt.

I should note that Reid has more than the coaches Title. Who said Reid doesn't stay in a MIke Holgrem type role?
        Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Originally posted by sfphillyfan View Post
          you shut up. You shut up now!
          LOL! Man, just sayin'! I don't understand why they are just now manning the lifeboats when it is apparent that they've sunk already!

Comment

Originally posted by ThoughtProcess View Post
            LOL! Man, just sayin'! I don't understand why they are just now manning the lifeboats when it is apparent that they've sunk already!
            Reid is just trying to win games man, I left McCoy in because I wanted to score points and win the game.

There is no understanding this team right now
            Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Originally posted by ThoughtProcess View Post
              Think of it like this. The ship has sunk, and there is 1 lifeboat big enough for the young guys and rookies who have shown to be worthy to be on the team next year sitting in it. The lifeboat is at full capacity and will sink if another guy gets in. Washburn was swimming over there and he got wacked on the head trying to climb aboard.

In all seriousness. The last thing you want is Washburn telling a rookie like Curry .. "don't worry about the run. your job is solely to knock the QB down by taking the widest possible route to get there. here, watch this film of a guy whose really good at it ... his name is jason babin and you should strive to be like him."

Comment

I'm glad Andy did it; if he wasn't so involved with the rest of his duties and spent more time coaching he may have seen this, or taken action on it, earlier.
                I've long said I won'tbe surprised to see Andy back; although it will be tough with such angst in the fan base.
                I wonder if Mudd will quit now instead of the end of the year in honor of his best buddy Washburn getting canned.
                Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                Hope is not a strategy
                RIP

Comment

Apologies if this has already been posted. Roob's CSN article on Washburn being a disruption: http://www.csnphilly.com/football-ph...145&feedID=704

EXCERPT--
                  "It was a disaster from the start. All of it. The decision to hire Jim Washburn as defensive line coach before Andy Reid even found a defensive coordinator. The decision a couple weeks later to make Juan Castillo his defensive coordinator. The decision to replace Castillo with Howard Mudd and his gimmicky offensive line scheme....The whole thing was built the wrong way. You can’t hire a defensive line coach and then a coordinator. It takes the traditional power structure of a coaching staff and makes a mockery of it. How could Castillo be expected to lead that defensive meeting room when one of his own coaches was conspiring against him? Castillo is a good man who was put in an impossible situation. Washburn, a lifetime defensive coach who’s never been shy about speaking his mind and trampling anyone in his way, often made his disdain for Castillo clear....
                  The current Eagles assistant coach said both Washburn and Mudd looked down on the other position coaches, held themselves in higher regard than the others and rarely interacted with their colleagues.

"Did you ever see Howard or Wash walk off the field after practice with another position coach or one of the coordinators?" he said. "Nope. They were either by themselves or with each other." Even after Castillo was fired in October and replaced by Todd Bowles, a respected veteran defensive coach, Washburn continued to be difficult, the defensive player said. And when slumping one-time Pro Bowl defensive end Jason Babin, who he had coached for years in Tennessee and was very close with, was released last week, Washburn became more disruptive than ever...."

Comment

"And when slumping one-time Pro Bowl defensive end Jason Babin, who he had coached for years in Tennessee and was very close with, was released last week, Washburn became more disruptive than ever...."

what a grade school bitch.

Comment

Originally posted by Rossovich View Post
                      I don't care about more wins. Just pointing out if Washburn was acting badly why was Castillo the one canned?
                      Perhaps Reid didnt know about Washburns treatment of Juan back then? I think Andy had, and will always have a great deal of care and fondness for Juan. If he knew about how badly he was treating him, I'd think he would have kicked wash's ass.
                      http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

More, from Philly.com:
                        http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...Washburn_.html

Sounds like Bowles sought to shift away from the wide nine as the foundation of the DL scheme, and Washburn becoming combative and disruptive as a result.

Against the Redskins on Nov. 18, several linemen were told to “read” either run or pass rather than rush straight for the quarterback. When Babin and Cole were asked about the alteration after the game, they both answered, “Ask Coach Wash.”
                        While Washburn had been voicing his frustrations with Castillo’s play-calling to his players for a year and a half, he had become increasingly volatile about Bowles, team sources said.
                        When Babin was waived last Tuesday, Washburn was livid, team sources said, and he let Reid know it. Reid said that Washburn was OK with the decision, but the coach had already been formulating the idea of bringing Brasher back last week, a source close to Reid said.
                        The team declined a request to interview Washburn last week.
                        With Babin gone, the line got off to a strong start against the Cowboys on Sunday night. Brandon Graham, Babin’s replacement, recorded 1-1/2 of the Eagles’ two sacks in the first half. But there was little pressure on Tony Romo in the second half as the Dallas quarterback picked the Eagles secondary apart.
                        After the game when the Eagles locker room finally opened, several defensive linemen were huddled whispering as if something had just happened. A few were staring ominously at each other.
                        Several hours later it was clear what had happened: Reid had fired Washburn right after the game. The team announced the move and that Brasher would come out of retirement at 6 a.m. Monday morning.

Comment

I think Andy is coming back. If he fired Morningweg I could live with it. He may get the ultimatom from Lurie that he's got to get rid of everyone. Seriously, what's Bowles doing for us? I smelled a rat as soon as I heard that he fired Washburn. If Andy told Lurie he'd fire everybody if Luri fired Whoie Roseman I could live with it.
                          "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                            I think Andy is coming back. If he fired Morningweg I could live with it. He may get the ultimatom from Lurie that he's got to get rid of everyone. Seriously, what's Bowles doing for us? I smelled a rat as soon as I heard that he fired Washburn. If Andy told Lurie he'd fire everybody if Luri fired Whoie Roseman I could live with it.
                            Bringing Brasher back out of retirement could be just a caretaker move as Reid counts down the days. Or it can be as you suspect.

Comment

I don't think Andy's job can be saved. I think Jeffry has to appease the fan base and kick him to the curb. However, if his control were modified, and if we cleaned house at thecoordinator level, I could see giving Andy another run. We have GOT to get a D coordinator in here who can run his own show.m and we have GOT to get rid of Marty Moose.
                              http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Read the latest on IgglesBlitz. Lawlor says that Washburn had Tapp in for 27 snaps, but youngsters Curry and Hunt for 27. Combined. So much for playing the youngsters to see what they have.

http://igglesblitz.com/philadelphia-...#disqus_thread

And this: http://igglesblitz.com/philadelphia-...#disqus_thread

“Some teammates were annoyed by perception that Babin could do no wrong in Washburn’s eyes...“Strange vibe coming out of locker room after game. Derek Landri seemed on edge, Trent Cole, others protectively hovering around him.”

Comment

Working...
                                X