Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Don't you have to know something before you can forget it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't you have to know something before you can forget it?

Warren Sapp to donate brain when he dies, says memory suffers from football career
    Jun
    6/20/2017 1:22:41 PM

Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced Tuesday that when he dies he will donate his brain to the Concussion Legacy Foundation because "I wanted this game to be better when I left than when I got into it," ESPN reports.

Sapp, 44, made the announcement in a video posted on The Players' Tribune. He says an email he received from former running back Fred Willis was the impetus for his decision.

Sapp said the email "had quotes form NFL owners, I mean down the line you could see it, there's no correlation between football, CTE, suicides, and all this foolish stuff. ... I mean where are you getting this information form and then spewing it out as if it's fact?"

Sapp, a seven-time Pro Bowl selection who retired in 2008 after 13 seasons (nine with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and four with the Oakland Raiders), said football has affected his memory.

"We're playing in a macho league and we're talking about Hall of Famers now who are immortalized forever, made busts and everything. Legends of the game," he said. "There's no way any of us wanna really admit that we can't remember how to get home, or a grocery list that the wife has given us or how to go pick up our kids to the school, or whatever it may be.

"You try to [say] 'all right, I'm gonna get a little more sleep, maybe it's something I did last night, maybe something I drank,' or whatever it is. You try to find a reason that it's not that it's my brain. That I'm not deteriorating right before my own eyes.

"It's the most frightening feeling, but it's also a very weakening feeling because you feel like a child. I need help. I need somebody to help me find something that I could've found with my eyes closed, in the dead of night, half asleep."

Don't forget to follow us on Twitter at http://twitter.com/theredzoneorg

Like us on Facebook at http://facebook.com/Theredzone.org
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"
Working...
X