X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What To Make Of Yannick Ngakoue...

Asking price may be way high for this guy, even though he'd be nice

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/j...-jacksonville/

According to NFL Network's Mike Garafolo, the Jaguars have recently "heard from multiple interested teams about a trade" for the 25-year-old Ngakoue. While Jacksonville "won't give him away for little return," the mere fact they're now fielding calls about the former third-round draft pick indicates Ngakoue is very much available. The Jags, remember, took a similar stance regarding Jalen Ramsey, another noted member of their 2019 defense, before dealing the All-Pro cornerback during the season.

The Jags control Ngakoue's rights after exercising the franchise tag on the pass rusher ahead of free agency -- a tag that would pay the Pro Bowler an estimated $17.8 million in 2020. But Ngakoue has been steadfast in advocating for a relocation. The Maryland product posted on Twitter shortly after reports he'd receive the tag that he no longer had interest in signing a long-term deal with the Jaguars. He has frequently endorsed speculation by Philadelphia Eagles fans that he could soon be playing for them.

And he responded to Garafolo's Tuesday report by saying "it's obvious my time is up in my current situation," asking the Jags to "move on."
    https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/...s-dawkins-edge

Another day, another Yannick Ngakoue social media update linking him to the Philadelphia Eagles.
    First, Ngakoue openly urged the Jacksonville Jaguars to trade him.

For those keeping track at home, Ngakoue has now posted pictures of the following Eagles players: Reggie White, Trent Cole, and Dawkins. He also posted a picture of a cheesesteak with a caption about how he’s never had one and needs to try one. At one point Ngakoue also shared a picture that had an eagle emoji in it. He’s either having a lot of fun messing with Eagles fans or he’s really trying to get Howie Roseman to trade for him. Maybe both!

I’m still reluctant to believe Yannick to Philly is actually going to happen. The Eagles have already spent a lot of resources on their defense this offseason and they’re already high on their defensive end rotation, even though you might not feel the same way.
    Fun idea to think about Ngakoue in midnight green, though. Gives us something to pass the time while in quarantine

https://www.si.com/nfl/eagles/news/y...ger-for-eagles

There are themes to every NFL offseason just like there are variables defining every equation.

For the Eagles, Howie Roseman has been pretty upfront that the philosophy has shifted a bit from the 2017-through-2019 championship window and the organization needs an influx of younger bodies with speed....

….Man plans and the football gods laugh.

Themes are preferences, not hard and fast rules as the variables change.
    Enter Jacksonville Jaguars edge rusher Yannick Ngakoue, the rare, young ascending pass rusher who may not only be available but has tried to take a Stefon Diggs-like approach on social media to ensure his exit from Florida.
    The less-than-subtle hints have often had a Philadelphia tint to them and are heating up again.

The problems start with Ngakoue being under the franchise tag with the Jaguars and the realization that Jacksonville isn’t about to listen to any discounts, so any potential package starts with a first-round pick and the understanding you are going to fork over top-of-the-line money as the most valuable position in the NFL outside quarterback.

If you believe Roseman’s press briefings are under oath and that there is no bend in the plan, surely the Eagles can’t part ways with the No. 21 overall pick, right?

The goal of draft picks is to develop him into contributors like Ngakoue and the odds that anyone Philadelphia is able to select can duplicate Ngakoue’s production at a premium position - 37.5 sacks in four seasons and at least eight in each campaign - is slim to none and ‘Slim’ is packed waiting for his Uber.

Meanwhile, Ngakoue was so young when he entered the league as a third-round pick out of Maryland in 2016 that he just turned 25 on March 31.

The cliche in the modern NFL is you either get to the quarterback or get to the quarterback and getting one of the top edge rushers in the game at 25 is what just about every team in the NFL is searching for.

As for the hand-wringing surrounding Derrick Barnett and how this might affect the Eagles’ 2017 first-round pick, I’m transported back to the 2007 NFL Draft when discussing things with a Minnesota decision-maker at the time.
    Remember that was a different time when running backs were still valued and there were rumblings that Adrian Peterson, the greatest combination of power and speed out of the backfield since Jim Brown himself, would fall to the Vikings at No. 7 overall.

Minnesota also had Chester Taylor, one of those good players people tend to forget as time passes who was one year off a 1,200-yard season.
    So I asked the question: “What about Chester Taylor?”

The response gotten was as classic as it gets: “F@#$ Chester Taylor.”

Comment

Hmmm...would anyone here consider packaging Barnett in a trade to get this guy? He's not much older than Barnett, and Barnett is entering the last year of his rookie deal if I'm not mistaken. As much as I like Barnett, and appreciate his efforts in the SB particularly, I'd consider it. Maybe with two 3rd Rd picks for Ngakoue and a 4th this year? Or a 4th and Ngakoue for a 3rd and Barnett?

Jags would still have a young rush end, albeit on the final year of a rookie deal. It would be a shame if Barnett got traded, played the year in Duval, and then bolted too...

Comment

Well, we do have the money and no real LBs. He could cover a lot of holes.
        "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
          Well, we do have the money and no real LBs. He could cover a lot of holes.
          He's a good rusher, but not so great vs the run. I really don't think we need to give up resources. We still have a bunch of changeover coming in the next 2 years and those younger draft picks will come in handy. Miller and Ostman have good potential .
          We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

I tend to think if Howie and crew want him they will go get him. Not a fan of giving up Barnett who has a future but if I talked to his agent and got the vibe he will ask for crazy dollars I would give up on him.
            Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
            Hope is not a strategy
            RIP

Comment

I think I'd be willing to trade Barnett and our 1 for him.
              You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

Originally posted by musicman View Post
                He's a good rusher, but not so great vs the run. I really don't think we need to give up resources. We still have a bunch of changeover coming in the next 2 years and those younger draft picks will come in handy. Miller and Ostman have good potential .
                Yes, no players but picks would be OK.

Comment

I wouldn't trade Barnett and our 1. Maybe Barnett, our three and a flyer next year like 5 or 6
                  Hope is not a strategy
                  RIP

Comment

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/n...ue-per-report/

The Jacksonville Jaguars have reportedly begun fielding calls for star pass rusher Yannick Ngakoue, who's repeatedly declared his "time is up" with the team following failed long-term contract negotiations. But reports indicating the Jags still value Ngakoue may not have been off-base, as the club is seeking at least a first-round draft pick in return for the defensive end.
                    That's according to ESPN's Jordan Raanan, who reported Thursday the Jaguars are "beginning discussions" for the 25-year-old defender by asking for a first-rounder "and more."

Such a demand would indicate Jacksonville is bent on getting something similar to what it received for Jalen Ramsey, another young defensive standout, in 2019, when the Los Angeles Rams gave up two first-rounders as well as a third-rounder to land the All-Pro cornerback. But even a single first-rounder could be a steep price for Ngakoue suitors, considering the pass rusher isn't locked up long-term. Due nearly $18 million under the franchise tag in 2020, he could conceivably be seeking about $20 million per season on an extension.

Those reasons are why the New York Giants, a team still in need of pass-rush help, figure to be out of the running, Raanan reported. Money, in fact, has also been a holdup for the Giants in retaining 2019 breakout Markus Golden, who apparently opened free agency looking for $10 million per year and is still unlikely to return to the Big Apple.

As for teams other than the Giants who could be interested in Ngakoue, New York's NFC East rivals, the Philadelphia Eagles, have frequently been linked to the pass rusher. Ngakoue himself has fueled that speculation the most, posting pictures of Eagles players on social media, although Philly also used two of its 2020 draft picks to acquire cornerback Darius Slay from the Detroit Lions.

Comment

Wanting and getting are 2 different things. First of all Ramsey is a much better player. LA were fools to make that deal. Who is going too give a couple of 1's for a one year rental?

Comment

You would certainly want to have a new contract deal in place if you were trading for him. Even with that you have to weigh heavily giving a player you drafted in round one and a first round draft pick.
                        Hope is not a strategy
                        RIP

Comment

If I was negotiating a contract now I would insist on a truckload of toilet paper in my bonus!

Comment

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/...annick-ngakoue

Comment

Ridiculous. Good luck with that one Jacksonville. Who the hell is going to give you picks to pick up a guy who wants a hundred $100 million contract?

Comment

Working...
                              X