What the Jernigan signing might mean

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What the Jernigan signing might mean

It occurred to me that the wide nine is predicated on having 2 dominating defensive tackles that can both rush the passer and still be able to pretty much cover 4 holes with just the 2 players on running plays. Detroits defense was great when Schwartz had Suh and that other stud Nick Fairley at DT. Maybe the Birds are going to make a big play to keep Schwartz and keep the wide nine for a few years?
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

I'm sure they would love to keep Schwartz. I'm afraid others are going to be looking @ him this off-season. Best thing we can do is go to the Super Bowl so teams would have to wait to hire him and they become impatient!

Comment

Whether Schwartz is here next year or not isn't a birds decision IMO. They can buy him a boat but if he is offered and he wants a HC gig he is going to take it. Don't think there is anything the birds could do to entice him. I think he is either Asst HC/DC for the Eagles next year because there are no good gigs available or HC somewhere else. It is his choice which.
      Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
      Hope is not a strategy
      RIP

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
        Whether Schwartz is here next year or not isn't a birds decision IMO. They can buy him a boat but if he is offered and he wants a HC gig he is going to take it. Don't think there is anything the birds could do to entice him. I think he is either Asst HC/DC for the Eagles next year because there are no good gigs available or HC somewhere else. It is his choice which.
        The Arizona job might be attractive. He might even look to take the Giants if it becomes available

Comment

Could be about keeping Schwartz but resigning good young players is something this team should always be looking to do.

I think what this means is Vinny Curry will be moved in the offseason (either traded or cut). Curry has played really well against the run but with a cheaper number 1 pick behind him, I can see Curry being let go and Means stepping into the backup role.
          Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Trading Curry is going to be a stretch as he has a $9MM salary next year. I think teams would wait to see if we cut him. A restructure might work though. Curry has been really good vs. the run. He has some large #'s that make me think he could be a cap casualty though to gain us some more flexibility.

Comment

Curry does seem like a luxury if we sign Graham to an extension, given Barnett. Would love to keep him on a restructure, but doubt we can afford four huge contracts on the DL.

It will be interesting to see about Schwartz. You wonder how many teams with openings may prefer an offensive HC -- or at least someone who knows how to tutor a QB. John Fox and Jeff Fisher don't look so good at that, while Pederson and McVay may now be the model for young QBs. And after that, there may be more attractive defensive guys than Schwartz. And since you can't actually hire someone until after their team is out the playoffs, if the Eagles go to the Super Bowl, some teams may not want to wait.

I think he wants a head coach job, and will certainly interview during the bye week, but I don't think it's a done deal that he's gone.

I think one of Reich or DeFilippo are gone though. Maybe both, but more likely DeFilippo. Not sure we would block him a second year.

Comment

I just don't think it is in the Eagles hands. I'm not sure there is anything realistic they can offer him if he is inclined to leave.
                As for Curry, It is a rare player that takes less to stay but I think Curry may be that guy. No one is going to give him what the birds gave him so I can see Howie telling him he is willing to sign him to a more reasonable deal or he can take the chance he gets cut. Maybe a little more guaranteed money or another year on the contract or something to reduce his cap hit
                Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                Hope is not a strategy
                RIP

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
                  I just don't think it is in the Eagles hands. I'm not sure there is anything realistic they can offer him if he is inclined to leave.
                  As for Curry, It is a rare player that takes less to stay but I think Curry may be that guy. No one is going to give him what the birds gave him so I can see Howie telling him he is willing to sign him to a more reasonable deal or he can take the chance he gets cut. Maybe a little more guaranteed money or another year on the contract or something to reduce his cap hit
                  As much as I love Vinny I would rather keep Bradham and Kendricks. Hell, I'd like to keep them all. This kick the can down the road stuff will probably hit full blast when Wentz's contract is up. We've got a 2 year window right now to get it done.
                  "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Working...
                  X