Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Westbrook tires of comparisons to Barber.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, we could look at it that way, but then I think we are really splitting hairs; the reality is the injuries happened when they happened and because we were a playoff team they hurt us...if we were a 6 win team, his injuries would not have really mattered...

Look at Portis...he has been a rock only missing 1 game in his first 4 seasons, but he has only played in 1 playoff game so he has less wear/tear than Westy IMO...

Look at Jones in Dallas...his first two seasons he has already missed 11 games out of 32...that sounds more injury prone to me than Westy...

Tiki of course is a rock and even though he was dinged alot early in his career, he always seemed to stitch it together for the games...

I'll look at some other NFC #1 RB for more comparison...
    Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

VFK, perhaps besides just looing at games, you should compare carries betwen Tiki and Westy. With Tiki getting roughly TWICE the carries that Westy is, it's even more lopsided. Westy is not asked to be a workhorse back. And still he struggles with injury.

I'll break it down for ya:

Westbrook over the last 3 years (all we can really go on)has averaged 150 caries a season.

Tiki over the same span has averaged 319.

Really, when you compare the two, there IS no comparison. Tiki has been durable despite carrying twice the load.
      http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

NFC South

*Based on a 16 game regular season.*

Cadillac Williams, TB: Missed 2 of his first 17 games...

Deshaun Foster, Carolina: Missed 1 full season, 12 games of another and 4 others in other seasons...so 32 out of his first 64...

Deuce, NO: Missed 14 out of his first 80 games...

Dunn, ATL: A rock....he has missed only 10 out of his first 144 games

-Andy Reid

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH
          VFK, perhaps besides just looing at games, you should compare carries betwen Tiki and Westy. With Tiki getting roughly TWICE the carries that Westy is, it's even more lopsided. Westy is not asked to be a workhorse back. And still he struggles with injury.

I'll break it down for ya:

Westbrook over the last 3 years (all we can really go on)has averaged 150 caries a season.

Tiki over the same span has averaged 319.

Really, when you compare the two, there IS no comparison. Tiki has been durable despite carrying twice the load.
          I agree Tiki is a workhorse....but he is anamoly IMO...only Dunn so far has been as durable over his career that I have seen so far in my research...just because Westy is not on that level yet does not mean he never will be or that he is injury prone IMO...

That gets us back to the never-ending argument regarding if it is Westy's fault for not being given more carries or is it the system he plays in...and if he was ever given that chance, could he handle the load...

There really is no objective way to analyze those issues so I am looking at the one we can...I realize I am not going to get a definitive picture, but at least we will know more than we did before hopefully...

-Andy Reid

Comment

How about (and have to go with regular season here):

1) Shaun Alexander - hasn't missed a game in 3 years

2) LaDanian Tomlinson - 1 game in 3 years

3) Edgerrin James - missed 3 games in 3 years (1 of which he was held out)

Comment

You should look at carries with that, too, Stevie. I mean, for crissakes Alexander has been averaging around 350 carries a year!
              http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Originally posted by stevemc
                How about (and have to go with regular season here):

1) Shaun Alexander - hasn't missed a game in 3 years

2) LaDanian Tomlinson - 1 game in 3 years

3) Edgerrin James - missed 3 games in 3 years (1 of which he was held out)
                That is what I am researching and will post on, steve...thanks for the data although I will check your work!

-Andy Reid

Comment

James and Tomlinson averaging well over 300 per year also.

Comment

Back to the whole freak injury thing. I say even if the injuries are "freak" occurrences. If a player keeps having these "freak" injuries, I would still consider him injury prone. Not through genetics or conditioning, but rather from just some bad luck.

There are several different reasons a player might be injury prone and I would have to say bad luck would be one of them.
                    Whatcha Gonna Do Brother, When the Eagles run wild on you?

Comment

NFC North

Chester Taylor, MN: Missed 2 out of his first 65 games...although he was not a starter in Baltimore normally and only started 9 of those games...1 being in MN this year.

Ahman Green, GB: Missed 16 out of his first 144 games...missed 11 last year, breaking down? Was a rock before that...

Thomas Jones, Chi: Missed 12 out of his first 96 games...

Greg Jones, DET: Missed 4 out of his first 32 games...

-Andy Reid

Comment

VFK, Fresh and stevemc,

What web sites do you use to find all this good info. I've heard of Football Outsiders. Are there other good stat sites that you use?

Comment

I am just using NFL.com, but I do love Football Outsiders and also the Eagles War Room is great...ESPN tends to be unreliable IMO, but cbssportsline, fox and SI can be decent...

-Andy Reid

Comment

I go all over tino but NFL.com will get you a lot of what we're saying here.

VFK - Why just the NFC in your analysis?

Comment

I am just starting with the NFC, steve...I will continue with the AFC second...people probably more interested in comparing Westy with the NFC at first...

-Andy Reid

Comment

VFK & stevemc,

TP

Comment

Working...
                                X