Anyone else a little...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else a little...

concerned with the lack of momentum late in the 3rd quarter this week and Akers now having kicking difficulty in 3 straight games

Concern? Maybe,, but no team is perfect and every team has "concerns".
    Even the 72 Dolphins had areas that needed work.

The D just needs to get themselves off the field quicker, and those soft zones just kill me. (hell, they kill them also)

But over all, the O is MUCH better and more powerful than I thought they would be this early in the year and the D is playing real well-- except for a couple of let downs at piss poor times.

This game was never ever in doubt!

Next weeks game is a big win also-- or this team isn't as good as I think it is.

Comment

i would like to see this team in a good wire to wire game. it will probably end up being the dallas game. i don't feel too comfortable just yet...we need to handle a few good teams before I settle in

Comment

Got a feeling that Akers, after a great preseason, is adjusting to his new holder. But who knows. Not really concerned about him, though I wish we were healthier in a whole bunch of other areas.........like the balance on the offense, glad to see the sacks are up though......feel better about the 2-1 at this point in 2006, than the 2-1 we had after three games in 2005...........
        "Philly fans are great....It's the only place where you pull up on the bus and you've got the grandfather, the grandmother, the kids and the grandkids - everybody flicking you off. At other stadiums, they give you the thumbs-down. Here, they give you the middle finger.”
        — Michael Strahan

"No one likes us, no one likes us, no one likes us, we don’t care, we’re from Philly, F—-ing Philly, No one likes us, we don’t care!”
        - Jason Kelce with the best championship speech ever

Comment

Akers will be fine- don't worry about him.
          http://www.phansforhope.org

Comment

If they didn't keep us up at night worrying, they wouldn't be the Birds. While they have a nucleus of seasoned vets, this is a young team with some kinks to be worked out. If the secondary gets reasonably healthy, we'll be fine!

Comment

The 3rd quarter stuff doesn't really bother me now that I look back on it. I was getting pissed at the time, but when you look at how it went down it all pretty much stems from those dumbass personal foul penalties.

Ryan Moats personal foul
              Dhani Jones block in the back & personal foul
              Darwin Walker personal foul

All of those contributed directly to adding field position and extending drives for SF.

Moats got his ass chewed by Tra Thomas, Dawk and Andy for that foul.

Dhani got pulled out for a few plays and Andy jumped in his ass too.

Take away those fouls and what do the 49ers do then? I would think they don't control the clock as much.

Then they have a great goal line stand (payback for that one in 2001 that SF had on us) and Patterson takes it for a TD. SF gets the ball right back and throws it for 75 against a hobbled Rod Hood.

They buckled down after the 3rd and extended the lead.

Comment

Yeah but...

And I say this with reflection on last week, how in the world can we appear to have lost focus asmuch as we did coming out in the second half? How is that even possible after what we just went thru? Dumb penalties, mistakes and muffs in the second half that we weren't seeing in the first half. You can chalk it up to coincidence, but really, it was hard to stomach that performance, AGAIN. We faltered, big time, against a team that we absolutely dominated in the first half. Just like last week. Perhaps I should pretend that didn't happen?
                http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Akers is terrible right now. Andy needs him and Dirk working 8 hours a day.
                  Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
                  Playoff Appearances:
                  NFC Title Games:
                  Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

We are vulnerable to the late game comeback via the big play. If we don't get this corrected in the secondary I am concerned.

Akers does concern me. We should be 3-0 right now. The giants game never would have made to OT if he didn't miss the first FG even with all the other collapses. So far it has cost us 1 game. How many more should we not worry about?

I have confidence that this team offensively is on the brink of outright greatness. I have less confidence in our defense. so hopefully our offense can keep our defense off the field late in the game. the problem we have, is the offense is in a way too efficient. Even when we are building a lead in games we seem to be behind in overall time of possesion. it seems like alot of our plays are plays that end up out of bounds stopping the clock or incompletions that stop the clock. An 80 yd drive for us will take less time off the clock maybe?

Comment

We're fine there.

Comment

Well in all fairness that Akers miss in the Giants game was a 49 yard attempt outdoors, and it hit the upright-- my guess is the NFL average for 49 yard attempts outdoors is only about 50%.... and IMO there were many more egregious screw up's in that giants game then to label Akers miss as "costing " us a game.

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN
                          Well in all fairness that Akers miss in the Giants game was a 49 yard attempt outdoors, and it hit the upright-- my guess is the NFL average for 49 yard attempts outdoors is only about 50%.... and IMO there were many more egregious screw up's in that giants game then to label Akers miss as "costing " us a game.
                          I'm just saying with it we don't lose, Akers can't be a scape goat for the game given all the other improbable mistakes we made but we could have won the game if he didn't miss the FG. So does he get a pass because he's entitled to miss one now and then? sure but when the probelm continues I look back and see it more as a problem during that game then I gave it credit for at the time.

And to be fair you have to look at what Aker's career average on that range is, not what the nfl average is. that's why we have him here, he's more accurate than the average nfl kicker.

My post was in the context of whether akers' accuracy should be a concern or not. After watching 3 games I say it is. It's getting worse not better. If it was just the missed fg in the giants game you'd write it off as outside with the wind as you say
                          Many other things happened for us to lose the game of course but if we are going to say that we should not worry about akers accuracy it should be pointed out that with that kick we win the game and we're 3-0, it's just a fact. Sure we should have easily won that game with or without akers kick that's not the point. We're gonna get into one of those field goal only games with someone and we need akers to be dead on.

Comment

55, I hear ya bud, but I think the sample size is just way to samll to jump to these conclusions or raise these concerns to this kind of level.

He has hit 3 of 5 FG's, one he missed was a 49 yarder outdoors that hit the upright and yesterday.

So his one "bad" miss was yesterday------ IMO not anything to worry about --- AT this point in time.

We disagree that's all!

Peace!

And BTW and FWIW-- he is only 7 for 13 from 40 yards or more the last 2 years... just a hair over 50%.

Comment

Concerns : The D being on the field so much against bad football teams. We should have more 3 and outs. the soft zones are to cover up bad CB play, so I understand why JJ isn't going to let his corners man up a lot. This will change when Lito comes back, and Hood is healthy.

make no mistake Monday night will be a Farve BJ fest, and he's easily capable of a 300 yard day. He will throw the ball 50 times, and he's willing to take huge chances. I think we'll need to score close to 30 pts to win unless Farve is just awful and throws a ton of picks. Our secondary made a struggling manning a hero, and A Smith also looked pretty good in spots.

Akers will be ok, kinda like a golfer who loses his putting touch.
                              Redskins Suck Ass

Comment

Working...
                              X