Interesting Perspective from Vermeil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting Perspective from Vermeil

Today's "training camps" clearly disgust him.

http://www.csnphilly.com/08/08/11/Ve...769&feedID=704
    Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

"There is no way to work less and get better. It can’t be done – not in swimming, not in golf, not in basketball, certainly not in football. You have to work to get better, but now you can’t do that.”

"On Saturday, Vermeil attended the induction ceremony at the Pro Football Hall of Fame. He was there to honor Marshall Faulk, the great running back who starred for his Super Bowl team in St. Louis. Vermeil sat with Mike Jones, a linebacker on that Rams team, and they talked about the new practice rules.

“I said to Mike, ‘How many times did you come to my office and say, ‘Coach, the guys are tired, they don’t want to work in pads today?’” Vermeil said. “Each time I told you the same thing: ‘I’ll decide when the pads come off.’ We practiced like that for two years, training camp and regular season.

“The third year I said, ‘OK, the pads can come off’ because I knew the team was ready. We won the Super Bowl that year. But I told Mike, ‘If I took the pads off the first year or even the second year, we wouldn’t be wearing Super Bowl rings today.’ The hard work is what made us champions.”
    Last edited by sfphillyfan; 08-09-2011, 12:05 PM.

Comment

He is dead right....Reid had a funny line in today's paper comparing the new practice rules to being stopped at a red light behind other cars knowing you cannot move forward...its got to be frustrating especially since so much time has been missed this year...
      Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

Strangely, I actually don't agree. While I think it's silly because football is about hitting...as long as everyone is playing by the same rules, then it doesn't matter how much they practice or practice in pads. Sure, they may not be "improving", but then neither is anyone else around the league, so the net affect should be close to zero.

Comment

Well, if you want to look at it this way, in some sort of positive light, then you can now say that the pre-season games actually mean something and have some value.
          http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Originally posted by YourPalChrisMal View Post
            Strangely, I actually don't agree. While I think it's silly because football is about hitting...as long as everyone is playing by the same rules, then it doesn't matter how much they practice or practice in pads. Sure, they may not be "improving", but then neither is anyone else around the league, so the net affect should be close to zero.

But that removes the effectiveness of coaching and their ability to get the most out of their players.

Let's say two teams both have a rating of 80. With today's rules, both could get to 85 in training camp. However, in Vermeil's day, he might have been able to get that team to a 90 rating with hard work. And his opponent could only get to a 86 with hard work.

In today's world, Dick would be hamstrung by the rules and not be able to do his job.

Comment

Originally posted by sfphillyfan View Post
              But that removes the effectiveness of coaching and their ability to get the most out of their players.

Let's say two teams both have a rating of 80. With today's rules, both could get to 85 in training camp. However, in Vermeil's day, he might have been able to get that team to a 90 rating with hard work. And his opponent could only get to a 86 with hard work.

In today's world, Dick would be hamstrung by the rules and not be able to do his job.
              True, but I really don't think the affect is that great. We're still only talking about practices against your own team.

And if it means less players get hurt who should be in the starting line-up, I'm OK with that.

I think the net affect is at least a wash. OK, so if we believe the Eagles coaching staff has that much more ability to make their players better by hitting each other in pads than other coaches/teams, they also now have more chance of having their superior starting line-up on the field when the games actually count. And haven't players getting hurt in training camp been one of the things we've all complained about?

This is one of those pointless arguments...I'm not sure how anyone proves they are right. So I'm going to say...I really don't think it matters a whole lot.

Comment

Heard on Comcast tonite that a week+ into TC there have already been 10 major achillies injuries league wide,don't know if it's poor conditioning coming in or the need to hurry things along.
                I commented to a guy I went to TC with that I should have been a kicker in HS,those guys have the easiest jobs in the world. I was expecting Dorenbos to start working on his magic tricks.
                We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

What is going to be interesting is to see how many injuries come from this first week of pre-season games when guys start going full out and lighting each other up .
                  http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Originally posted by YourPalChrisMal View Post
                    True, but I really don't think the affect is that great. We're still only talking about practices against your own team.

And if it means less players get hurt who should be in the starting line-up, I'm OK with that.

I think the net affect is at least a wash. OK, so if we believe the Eagles coaching staff has that much more ability to make their players better by hitting each other in pads than other coaches/teams, they also now have more chance of having their superior starting line-up on the field when the games actually count. And haven't players getting hurt in training camp been one of the things we've all complained about?

This is one of those pointless arguments...I'm not sure how anyone proves they are right. So I'm going to say...I really don't think it matters a whole lot.
                    I do think there is more to the idea of "coaching up" players in the NFL than in other sports. That's why traditionally there have been fewer trades in the NFL than in other sports. Certain players do well in certain systems and don't transition well to other teams.

I also think there is value in the full contact practices of yore. You hear players coming back from injury all the time talking about having to get into "football shape" -- that is, they have to get adjusted to the hitting. Basically acclimate their bodies to being involved in a series of car crashes every week.

I'll be interested to see the quality of play in tonight's game. The Eagles have yet to have a full-contact practice.
                    Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

Working...
                    X