Joe took Jets job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joe took Jets job

Official: Joe Douglas is leaving the Eagles to become the Jets’ general manager
    Bye Joe.

By Brandon Lee Gowton@BrandonGowton Updated Jun 7, 2019, 8:56pm EDT

Raj Mehta-USA TODAY Sports
    Well, it’s official. The New York Jets announced they’ve hired Philadelphia Eagles vice president of player personnel Joe Douglas as their new general manager.

Adam Schefter reports Douglas originally turned the Jets down multiple times but New York continued to push to hire him:

Adam Schefter

@AdamSchefter
    Jets just would not take “no” as an answer from Joe Douglas. He tried to turn down the Jets and each time he did, they came back at him harder and harder. Jets simply were not going to be denied in their efforts to land the former Eagles’ vice president of player personnel.

8:27 PM - Jun 7, 2019
    Twitter Ads info and privacy
    517 people are talking about this
    Douglas was long rumored to be the Jets’ top GM choice in part due to his relationship with head coach Adam Gase. His reputation as one of the league’s better personnel executives was obviously working in his favor as well. Douglas has been part of Super Bowl winning organizations with the Baltimore Ravens and the Eagles.

Douglas’ departure should hardly be a death knell to the Eagles. Howie Roseman was and will continue to have final say when it comes to Philadelphia’s personnel moves. Still, it would’ve been preferable to retain Douglas and maintain front office stability if possible.

Another downside to Douglas leaving is that he could potentially be bringing some more Eagles front office executives with him to the Jets. Douglas had a role in the Eagles hiring some former Ravens scouting staff members over the past few years. Philly already lost former direct of pro scouting Dwayne Joseph to the Oakland Raiders earlier this year. Now Douglas and some others might be leaving Philly as well.

It remains to be seen who the Eagles will hire to replace Douglas. There’s been speculation that Eagles vice president of football operations Andrew Berry — who was hired earlier this year — could see an elevated role. It’s also worth noting that the Eagles previously showed interest in former Houston Texans general manager Brian Gaine, who was fired just earlier today.

Here’s wishing Douglas the best with the Jets. It’s hardly to precisely parse his impact on the Eagles but the bottom line is that he contributed to the team’s first Super Bowl win in some fashion. The Eagles have been a successful team with Douglas in the building. Now he’s headed to New York to try to revive a dysfunctional franchise.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Maybe Joe should have waited. Houston job just opened up.

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/...ts-brian-gaine

Comment

Well at least we don’t have to go through another “will he or won’t he” watch now. It was inevitable that he was going to take a GM spot and try his hand at running the whole show. I wish him well but the Jets are so screwed up he may want to come back to his old job in short time! Good luck Joe! We will keep a light on for you....
      Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
      Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

eh, he certainly is high end but the birds made a few good moves before he came around. Gotta move on with those you have. Hopefully the people around him, including Howie and Doug, learned a few things from him.
        Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
        Hope is not a strategy
        RIP

Comment

Good for Joe. Too bad he is not going into a good situation. Bad owners are Bad owners, and the Jets really don't have a good owner.

The Eagles are taking a loss here however, its a loss they can recover from. Its not like we are losing Howie or Jeffrey is selling the team.
          Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

One person (other than a QB) cannot be THAT important to an entire organization, IMM.

Comment

The biggest problem with him leaving is that he could take some key guys with him. I'm not too thrilled about that.

Comment

You are right 60 in that he could take some people with him and it would be preferable to have him stay but he made the call. It was also fairly well speculated that he would move on to bigger and better (? maybe) things. So, I am not thrilled but he isn't the guy I watch on Sunday. Tough to have a high batting average in getting solid FAs and draft picks but he seemed to do it; hopefully if he was that good at his job I would expect the birds have some guys who learned from him.
                Hope is not a strategy
                RIP

Comment

"There’s a chance Douglas will bring Andy Weidl with him to the Jets, as his No. 2 man. Remember, the Jets also fired Maccagnan’s right-hand man, Brian Heimerdinger (vice president of player personnel). Weidl is currently the Eagles’ assistant director of player personnel, below Douglas. Could Weidl join Douglas with the Jets? If he does, it would be yet another blow to Roseman’s scouting department."

Comment

That just means there is a job opening for you 60
                    Hope is not a strategy
                    RIP

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
                      That just means there is a job opening for you 60
                      I’ll second that.

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
                        I’ll second that.
                        I'll promise that I'll bring you 2 with me if MD promises not to bug me about drafting 7 offensive lineman next April. And you can forget all of those trips all over the world too, we have work to do. Oh and ND, you can forget about those weekend fishing trips and staring at the Cheerleading thread all afternoon. You're going to cover more area than just North Dakota State! We've already drained that place.
                        Last edited by Eagle60; 06-08-2019, 07:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X