Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More on Vick (G Cobb)

Despite All The Additions This Training Camp Was All About Michael Vick
    Posted by GarryCobbBREAKING NEWS, Eagles, News, QuarterbacksWednesday, August 17th, 2011

Amazingly despite all of the acquisitions to the roster, the best thing about this preseason has been the play and leadership of Eagles quarterback Michael Vick.

Head Coach Andy Reid was asked one question about Vick’s training camp performance yesterday and he started talking and kept talking and talking. I told you before that Vick has looked like another quarterback in camp because of the way he’s thrown the ball with tremendous accuracy and the way he has dealt with the blitz.

“He’s doing an excellent job”, Reid said. “He’s really upped that part of his game. Last year he was thrown in there without a lot of reps here at Lehigh, with [QB] Kevin [Kolb] taking most of the reps, and all of the reps with the ones…. I think he’s putting pressure on himself to be a better football player”.

Looking at Vick scan the defense before the play and quickly identify the blitzer then change the blitz pickup, I couldn’t help but believe that he has spent a lot of time during this off season learning from his mistakes of a year ago. In many way it’s hard to believe that he’s the same guy.

“Michael made a huge jump last year,” said offensive coordinator Mornhinweg. “He’s always been one of the great dynamic players in the game, but he made a big jump last year. There’s one more step he needs to take, one more step, and that part that you mentioned with the blitz recognition is part of that step.”

Vick appreciates the fact that he’s getting most of the reps this training camp.

“You start getting comfortable as time goes on with everything that you’re doing,” said Vick. “I’m just trying to get to a level where I can just go out there and react and not have to think about what I’m doing, where it comes naturally. And we’re getting to that point.”

Reid and Mornhinweg have put more time into getting Vick ready to recognize the blitz and make the proper adjustments, than anything else this training camp. Remember that the vulnerability to the blitz was the only thing that slowed down the offense last season, but it stopped the explosive offense in a major way. That won’t be the case this time around. Vick and the offense are ready for teams to try to blitz them.

Vick has also taken his leadership to another level. No longer does he just play and have the guys play along with him. Now I hear him saying things to the wide receivers and the offensive line when the quality of play drops.

“I think he’s putting pressure on the guys around him to be a better football player and at the same time rallying them to try to bring out the best in them”, Reid said.

He’s developing more of a touch on his short throws. His fundamental technique of having his feet balanced with a slight bend of his knees when he throws the ball, has become something that he doesn’t have to think about. The verbiage which Vince Young has struggled with at times, is something that Vick doesn’t even have to think about any more.

He quickly gets the offensive unit in and out of the huddle with ease and confidence. Yes, confidence is much higher with Vick. He thinks he’s going to make the play and the rest of the offense thinks he’s going to make the play.

Mornhinweg says he’s got a few additional things for Vick to work on when they get back at the Nova Care Complex.

“There’s several other things, I’m not going to get into too many details, that are involved with taking that last step to become, possibly, one of the great, great quarterbacks in the game”, Mornhinweg said.

There’s a lot on the line and Vick knows where he must take this team in order for the season to be successful. I think
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Sounds wonderful, and IF TRUE it will mark one of the greatest transfomations in QB history, IMO.

It is so hard for me to believe that a guy who relied so heavily on simply his natural ability and had no real sense as a legit QB could progress this way in such a short period of time. May it be so....
    http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Testament to Andy and Marty's coaching abilities.
      "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

Also a damnation of his former coaches although there may have been some degree of resistance on his part prior to his life lesson.

Comment

Oh, it clearly doesn't happen without Vick himself having a total personal change and commitment. Props to Andy and Marty for the lessons, but mad props to the student as well.
          http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Another one who deserves big time props is the guy who made it all happen, Tony Dungy. Without him Vick might have gone back to the same stuff that landed him in prison.
            FRESH > cancer

I hate everything the Cowboys stand for. If you think they are America's team, then you support everything that is wrong with America. The excess, the greed, the lack of maturity, the lack of responsibility, the lack of control. - Luzinski's Gut

Comment

Sounds wonderful, as that was one of the big concerns I had going into this year, whether he would be able to keep adjusting to a league which clearly adjusted to him by the end of last year. Good to know they all see it. As usual, I want to see it on the field to actually be comfortable, but this sounds very good at least.

Comment

As long as he doesn't fall back to bad habits and revert to those 12 step drops he should be alright.
                "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

I'm curious as to whether Juk, our resident anti-Vick holdout, has been able to embrace MV yet? I don't find any of them around me, personally. Granted, I am in Phlorida, but the Eagle fans that I talk to around here have accepted him to a man. Still get the hateful crap from other team's fans, but who gives a crap what they think.

Juk, whazzup?

Comment

I think I've finally begun to believe that Vick really has changed and that he's not just saying what we want to hear. I won't be buying a Vick jersey any time soon, but I'm no longer hoping they trade or cut him. I just hope he keep keeps himself out of trouble and really continues to embrace the opportunities before him to help end dog fighting.
                    Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
                    Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Working...
                    X