X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I sure hope this isn't true

What good does this do us!!
    Asking price for Asante Samuel is a pair of second-round picks

When the Philadephia Eagles acquired Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and signed Nnamdi Asomugha, the assumption was that cornerback Asante Samuel was on the trading block.

According to Mike Silver of Yahoo Sports, a source said the Eagles were asking for a pair of second-round picks in return for Samuel.

But general manager Howie Roseman said he was comfortable keeping all three cornerbacks.

Don't forget to follow us on Twitter at http://twitter.com/theredzoneorg
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

I dunno, that's a pretty good "get". A couple seconds could be retty valuable, and we ARE rather stacked at CB right now. Some god young prospects filling in behind DRC and Namdi. I'd like to keep Assante for the hell of it but.....hmmmm.........really have to consider that.
    http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Dumb question...How can a team trade a pair of 2nd rounders if each team only has one? (Obviously if you use FUTURE 2nd rounders, but still...) Wasn't this like saying, "we'll trade Samual if someone give us something that we know no one has"?

Comment

Again I will ask, what good are draft picks for us NOW? We just got a 6 for one of our last "stars" Bunkley. We're trying to win a SB this year and Samual is a big part of it.
        "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Not really YPCM. We get two seconds, one in 2012 and one in 2013... not to hard for any team to pull off. Hell it's really like asking for a 2nd and 3rd in 2012 since most rounds project a year higher the following year. Personally I don't think it's enough for Asante. He pulled in an interception once for every 6 passes thrown at him last year (at least according to rantsports.com -- http://www.rantsports.com/philadelph...eague-in-2010/ ) If you read that link they argue that Samuel was THE best CB in the league last year and the stats would support that position. He was targeted 41 times last year and allowed 19 completions (less than half), made 7 ints and allowed 2 TDs on those 41 plays. Those are some pretty impressive numbers. One line in that article that jumped out at me that pretty much sums up Asante for me is this....

"Asomugha was targeted almost as many times as Samuel. Revis was thrown at more times than Samuel. Neither picked off an interception. Not one."
          Last edited by Jukin; 08-17-2011, 07:42 AM.
          Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
          Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Understandable, but with our RCB situation last year, would YOU have bothered throwing over to Assante's side? No need.
            http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Fresh that's the point. They didn't throw at him (presumably because we sucked on the other side) but when they did he hurt them by picking off the ball 15% of the time! Think about how many interceptions he would have had if they had throw at him more often. Revis and Asomugha didn't take in a single interception. Samuel is an interception machine and that's why he's a game changer. He single handily gets the defense off the field and gets the ball into Vicks hands. That's the best thing any defensive player can do. I'm not giving up a guy who does that consistently for a stinking pair of 2nd round picks!

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                Again I will ask, what good are draft picks for us NOW? We just got a 6 for one of our last "stars" Bunkley. We're trying to win a SB this year and Samual is a big part of it.
                * He's not getting traded. Two 2nd round picks is a steep price and he has a big cap hit. So enjoy having 3 great corners this year.
                Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
                Playoff Appearances:
                NFC Title Games:
                Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

Originally posted by BIGPHILLY View Post
                  * He's not getting traded. Two 2nd round picks is a steep price and he has a big cap hit. So enjoy having 3 great corners this year.
                  I hope you're right. If they trade Samuel, I'm not going to be happy about it. As previously noted, this team has the best chance of winning it all since 2004, and it's probably the most talented team Reid has had since he's been here. Don't f'ck with it for future draft picks.

Comment

Alright, I'll agree with you guys. I'd rather have the contribution NOW rather than additional resources for next year and beyond. We ARE going for it all this year, right?

Comment

We've been on the five year plan for decades. It finally looks they are trying to shoot the moon this year, and it's about damn time. They better not trade him.

Comment

Originally posted by Ike View Post
                        We've been on the five year plan for decades. It finally looks they are trying to shoot the moon this year, and it's about damn time. They better not trade him.
                        I'd gotten conditioned to the old Eagles FO way of thinking. My apologies!

Comment

Two No. 2 picks would be a pretty sweet return. As much as I'd like to have the three big guns in there this year, that would be tempting to me.
                          Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

Could it be that this is posturing for the next off-season? I have to believe that they will keep him around this year, and maybe open the possibility of moving him next year. Two 2nd-round picks is a decent haul. Gives the team more options for trading up or back.

Comment

I could also see them moving him at the draft. There's no value in trading him now - they have to wait until April to use the first pick so keeping him for this season gives them the best secondary in the NFL. If he gets hurt and his value drops that's a risk they take, but he hasn't been a huge liability in that regard in the past so there's no reason to think he'll miss significant time now. A good year enhances his numbers and the return they can expect. No reason not to play him this year and trade him before the draft.

Comment

Working...
                              X