Freaking Incredible (OT)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freaking Incredible (OT)

So my wife and I were looking at some old investments her Grandfather had gotten her in the past and we had kind of "sat on" - with the understanding that we would work to get all of our investments under one roof. (We've been married for just over a year)

Anyway - we stumbled upon some Savings Bonds with face value of about $500.

I said "Just cash em baby and deposit into our checking account" - She's like "Yeah - cool."

-------------------

So I get a call from her about 1/2 hour ago...she's pretty much hysterical. Well...the savings bonds had $3,100 of interest on them...If ever the banana needed to be used...

Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
    Playoff Appearances:
    NFC Title Games:
    Super Bowl Titles:

congrats!

this happened for my sister and i;

my family got me and my sister savings bonds when we were born, and

my dad got matching savings bonds for my sis and i when he worked at ge; or something like that,

anyway, after we were married we turned in about 2-4k worth of savings bonds...for 10k!

too bad i was so awful with money and credit cards and moved 3 times and am back into debt :-/
    Five straight losses, including a crucial one at Dallas on Christmas Day, send them out against Atlanta, needing the win, plus help. -Dr. Z, 8/31/06

Comment

Drinks on BP!!!!!!!!!

I have some 20 to 30 year old ones-- haven't gotten around to checking them out yet.... does the interest ever stop on series E bonds?

Comment

does the interest ever stop on series E bonds

- Yes. They have a life. Ours were 30 year bonds.
        Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
        Playoff Appearances:
        NFC Title Games:
        Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

A financial guy once told me that, even though it's a good idea to have a savings account for emergencies, it's better to have money in savings bonds too.

The reason? Inflation will bleed away the value of a savings account. But bonds will keep up with inflation (see above!)!
          "Philly fans are great....It's the only place where you pull up on the bus and you've got the grandfather, the grandmother, the kids and the grandkids - everybody flicking you off. At other stadiums, they give you the thumbs-down. Here, they give you the middle finger.”
          — Michael Strahan

"No one likes us, no one likes us, no one likes us, we don’t care, we’re from Philly, F—-ing Philly, No one likes us, we don’t care!”
          - Jason Kelce with the best championship speech ever

Comment

1) MATURITY PERIODS AND INTEREST RATES

1.1) What is original maturity?
            1.2) Does my bond stop earning interest at original maturity?
            1.3) When does my bond stop earning interest?
            1.4) What are the guaranteed minimum rates on Series E/EE bonds and Savings Notes?
            1.5) How do market rates affect bonds?
            1.6) What is the easiest way to find out the current interest rate on my E and EE bonds?
            1.7) Why do some bonds show very low semiannual earnings in the Earnings Report?
            1. I have some old bonds that have reached final maturity. What can I do with them?

horizontal separator bar

1) MATURITY PERIODS AND INTEREST RATES

1.1) What is original maturity?

Original maturity is the MAXIMUM amount of time it takes for a Series E/EE bond or Savings Note to reach face value. The following chart shows the original term for Series EE bonds:

Issue Date Original Term
            1/80 - 10/80 11 years
            11/80 - 4/81 9 years
            5/81 - 10/82 8 years
            11/82 - 10/86 10 years
            11/86 - 2/93 12 years
            3/93 - 4/95 18 years
            5/95 - 5/03 17 years
            6/03 - present 20 years

Note: Series I bonds are purchased at face value.

Return to Top of page

1.2) Does my bond stop earning interest at original maturity?

No. After your bond reaches original maturity, it automatically enters one or more extension periods (usually ten years long). During extensions, bonds issued prior to May 1995 earn interest based on a guaranteed yield or a market-based yield. The applicable guaranteed yield is the one in effect at the time the bond enters the extension. Bonds issued after April 1995 have no guaranteed minimum yield. They will earn interest in accordance with the terms and conditions in effect at the time they enter the extension.

Return to Top of page

1.3) When does my bond stop earning interest?

Bonds stop earning interest at final maturity. The following table shows final maturity periods for Savings Bonds and Savings Notes:

Series Issue Date Final Maturity
            E 5/41 to 11/65 40 years
            E 12/65 to 6/80 30 years
            EE All issues 30 years
            H 6/52 to 1/57 29 years, 8 months
            H 2/57 to 12/79 30 years
            HH All issues 20 years
            I All issues 30 years
            Savings Notes All issues 30 years

Return to Top of page

1.4) What are the guaranteed minimum rates on Series E/EE bonds and Savings Notes?

The following table gives the applicable guaranteed rates:

Bonds issued on these dates: Have a Guaranteed Minimum Rate of:
            Series EE
            1/80-4/95

4%
            Series E
            8/76-6/80

4%

http://www.fedinvest.gov/sav/sbfaqmat.htm
            Five straight losses, including a crucial one at Dallas on Christmas Day, send them out against Atlanta, needing the win, plus help. -Dr. Z, 8/31/06

Comment

Re: Freaking Incredible (OT)

Originally posted by BIGPHILLY
              So my wife and I were looking at some old investments her Grandfather had gotten her in the past and we had kind of "sat on" - with the understanding that we would work to get all of our investments under one roof. (We've been married for just over a year)

Anyway - we stumbled upon some Savings Bonds with face value of about $500.

I said "Just cash em baby and deposit into our checking account" - She's like "Yeah - cool."

-------------------

So I get a call from her about 1/2 hour ago...she's pretty much hysterical. Well...the savings bonds had $3,100 of interest on them...If ever the banana needed to be used...

Two words: Plasma television

Comment

You know how funny that is - I was getting my oil changed on Sunday and meandered into the Tweeter next to the place I was at.

I was looking at plasma after plasma watching Tiger Woods on 18.

LMAO...Anyway - we're about to buy a home - so this money is going to be sucked up that way...
                Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
                Playoff Appearances:
                NFC Title Games:
                Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

I still say you should take everyone on sportscolumn out to drinks.
                  Whatcha Gonna Do Brother, When the Eagles run wild on you?

Comment

Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
                    Playoff Appearances:
                    NFC Title Games:
                    Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

You buying in Baltimore or in the burbs?

(poster formerly known as Luzinski's Gut)

Comment

Philadelphia before the NFCCG
                        Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
                        Playoff Appearances:
                        NFC Title Games:
                        Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

So you're moving back home? Cool.

Comment

My memory of the purpose of saving bonds was to buy out my ex's half of the house.
                            Pedro

Comment

Working...
                            X