Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roseman Talks FA Signings

EXCERPT---

On Smith: "The first thing everyone talks about in his speed and that's legitimate. I think the one thing that gets lost a little bit is that he's a big, strong guy. A tough, physical guy. He's strong to the ball. Getting him back to the East Coast, in this system, we think we're going to get the Torrey Smith we saw in Baltimore before he went to San Francisco."

On getting the Jeffery deal done: "It's been obvious we've been in the receiver market and looking for guys to help Carson on the outside and help our guys who are here, too, because we have some talented guys here. The opportunity came to us. We were looking at all of the options at our disposal to get guys who could potentially change the game. Over the course of the last 24 hours, getting involved in his willingness and his agent's willingness to take a shot to come to come to Philly and to believe in the system we have in place and the people that we have in place, I think that's exciting for us. I know our fans are going to be really excited to see him in an Eagles uniform."

On when Jeffery came into the picture: "I would say that, prior to 24 hours ago, we were probably stronger in a different direction, but things come to you and that's why you have to be flexible as free agency hits. I think Alshon was always on our minds. It's just that the chance to make it happen was there. You never say never in this business."

On the one-year deals: "Certainly, when you look at the player's side, it's a chance for a player to go back into the market after one year after you've done really well. Our players get a lot of attention in Philly and when they play well they're going to get a lot of credit. That's one of the draws that we have. In Alshon's case, I think it's an opportunity to show everybody the kind of player he is. With Chance, I think it's a similar situation. His value wasn't what he felt it should be, so he's getting a chance to work with Coach Stout and see what happens. Ideally, you'd like to have longer deals, but we hope they play as we know they can and then we'll talk again."

On not viewing one-year contracts as "Band-Aids:" "You have options at your disposal with both Alshon and Chance. When I was talking about 'Band-Aids' for a young team (earlier in the offseason), I was talking about ideally staying away from adding players who are past those peak seasons. Both Alshon and Chance are young (Jeffery turned 27 in February, Warmack will be 26 in September). Torrey is only 28 years old. Maybe I didn't do a good job of explaining what I meant by 'Band-Aids.' I meant players who are toward the tail end of their careers who are just getting through it. If these guys play well, they're going to have a chance to play in Philly for a long time."
    http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/ne...0-acac2edc8a8c

Slippin Howie sounds pretty good! You have to give him credit for getting deals done. It's up to Pederson to bring home the bacon.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Fans are always hating on Howie. But, name me a GM who has done more with less in the last 2 years than Howie ?

The guy is a savy businessman and seems to know a thing or two about football. Or, he surrounds himself with good resources. Either way, you have to give him credit.

Less than 1 and 1/2 yeas ago I thought this organization was done for after Chipper left us high and dry. At that time, we seemed to have no assets and nothing to work with. Howie has turned this thing around pretty quick. In fact, it has been borderline miraculous what he has done to acquire talent and gain back some of those lost draft picks.

Comment

Originally posted by Pliny View Post
        Fans are always hating on Howie. But, name me a GM who has done more with less in the last 2 years than Howie ?

The guy is a savy businessman and seems to know a thing or two about football. Or, he surrounds himself with good resources. Either way, you have to give him credit.

Less than 1 and 1/2 yeas ago I thought this organization was done for after Chipper left us high and dry. At that time, we seemed to have no assets and nothing to work with. Howie has turned this thing around pretty quick. In fact, it has been borderline miraculous what he has done to acquire talent and gain back some of those lost draft picks.
        Absolutely right pliny. We'll said. I know there are guys here who hate the fact that he didn't come "up through the ranks" as a player or coach. But the guy has single handidly rebuilt this wreck of a team into a legitimate playoff contender in 18 months! He has his flaws but he has been lights out since coming back.
        Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
        Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Yeah, he's built a nice roster for sure (except no defensive backs). Of course he got a huge break when Bridgewater went down and cleaned up his QB mess that he got us into. None of this happens without this. Wentz would just be a rookie QB and no receivers would want to come here.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
            Yeah, he's built a nice roster for sure (except no defensive backs). Of course he got a huge break when Bridgewater went down and cleaned up his QB mess that he got us into. None of this happens without this. Wentz would just be a rookie QB and no receivers would want to come here.

Sometimes you need a bit of luck. Like having one of the all time great QBs fall to you in the sixth round.

Comment

Originally posted by Pliny View Post

Bingo.... Kid has done a nice job,,,,,, so far.

Comment

I'm not saying he didn't do a good job and Ross you are 100% right. You need to be lucky. It's about time this franchise had some luck.

Comment

Howie really is killing it right now, since he has come back there have been more good deals than bad (every team has its bad deals). You can see there is a plan, Its about the QB, building around the QB. The trick now is though getting them to a playoff team (they could be there now), then ultimately a super bowl contender. That means more help on the defensive line and almost a whole new secondary. That is a tall order but I think they can get there.
                  Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

I like the last 2 years of Howie. I don't know who I would rather have making the deals. Some is luck, but if he had sat on his hands concerning our QB future, that luck would never have occurred. And we'd be debating which of these supposedly not ready for the NFL QBs we'd be drafting. And another season of Bradford. Instead we are trying to build around the future of our team. Well done.

Comment

Originally posted by Rossovich View Post
                      I like the last 2 years of Howie. I don't know who I would rather have making the deals. Some is luck, but if he had sat on his hands concerning our QB future, that luck would never have occurred. And we'd be debating which of these supposedly not ready for the NFL QBs we'd be drafting. And another season of Bradford. Instead we are trying to build around the future of our team. Well done.
                      I like it when they fire the cannon instead of the value crap we used to do like picking "gems" that the supposed team that had them didn't coach them right (Simmino). These moves make a heck of a lot more sense if you ask me.

Comment

Working...
                      X