OT -- Veterans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT -- Veterans

The US Military has served us in lots of difficult places around the world - Bosnia, Somalia, and in lots of endeavors such as the Cuban Blockade and Iran Hostage Rescue; all deserve our thanks. Especially those of you who served in Korea, Viet Nam, Iraq, Afghanistan or other such places my hat is off to you.
    Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
    Hope is not a strategy
    RIP

Happy Veterans Day! Thank you for your service to all Vets!
    Fly EaglesFly!

Comment

My complete admiration for all Veterans. Thank you.
      "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Yes... Happy Veterans Day to all. Especially those of you on the board here who served.
        You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

A little less than 51 years ago (New Years Eve day, 1968 the plane I was on landed in San Francisco International after a long fight from Bien Hoa AFB in South Vietnam. All the passengers were GIs...most of us in our dress uniforms. Except for a few who had friends or family in the area, all the rest of us had other flights to catch to our home destinations .

I suspect my experience in the couple hours as I waited for my flight back to Philly was mirrored by the other guys who were waiting for their flights home. In uniform in a large, busy airport, I encountered no hostility (as reportedly was the case at times for some returning GIs). Neither was there any "Welcome Home'. I could not have cared less. Unlike too many guys I knew over there, I was home, pretty much in one piece. Nothing else mattered.

Attitudes toward the military and those who serve have changed a lot in the 50 plus years since Vietnam. I appreciate being thanked for my service when I feel it's sincere. I think at times it's clearly just lip service. But that's OK too. At least the effort is being made.

My experience in Vietnam has a lot to do with the man I am today. I was almost 26 when I was drafted and was opposed to the war. But I also had this perplexing conflict regarding my obligation to serve if my country called. My belief that the war was wrong was in sharp conflict with my strong sense that if I wouldn't serve when called, who would. And where would that leave us as a country.

Being in combat has a way of defining and crystallising one's understanding of what is important in life and what is lame bullshit. Not during the active episodes of combat itself, which is nothing short of semi-structured insanity. But in moments of solitary reflection later when things have quieted down and you're looking back and trying to figure out what it all means for you and for your buddies...the only people who really count.

So from my perspective, the "thanks", when genuine, are really appreciated. But beyond that, the guys (and women) to whom we really owe a debt of immeasurable gratitude are those that aren't with us to be thanked.

Comment

Thanks for those words TP and a very genuine thanks from me for your service. I’ve enjoyed getting to know my neighbor and discuss his tour as we share some cold beers. He was an Army journalist and had to go in several times to some pretty bad stuff and write basically propaganda for the magazines. He considers himself lucky because he cane back unharmed physically but he admits it changed him.
            You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

Working...
            X