Absolutely ridiculous call last night on MNF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Absolutely ridiculous call last night on MNF

I just got done watching the Seattle and SF tonight and it was a great game, for entertainment value anyway because this game had it all LOL. Including a ridiculous penalty (or rule interpretation anyway).

Please tell me how a punt returner can be an unprotected player when he catches the punt on a bang bang play? What can possibly be illegal about that? If the guy wanted protection he can signal for a fair catch and make himself untouchable right? You got me?
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
    I just got done watching the Seattle and SF tonight and it was a great game, for entertainment value anyway because this game had it all LOL. Including a ridiculous penalty (or rule interpretation anyway).

Please tell me how a punt returner can be an unprotected player when he catches the punt on a bang bang play? What can possibly be illegal about that? If the guy wanted protection he can signal for a fair catch and make himself untouchable right? You got me?

Didn't watch the game. Does sound like a totally BS call and one I've never seen in that situation. The returner is unprotected but, as you point out, it's up to him to "turn on" protection by signally for it. This kind of individualized reinterpretation of the rules points to the arrogance some officials display. One Riveron is more than enough.

Comment

Originally posted by tinopuno View Post
      Didn't watch the game. Does sound like a totally BS call and one I've never seen in that situation. The returner is unprotected but, as you point out, it's up to him to "turn on" protection by signally for it. This kind of individualized reinterpretation of the rules points to the arrogance some officials display. One Riveron is more than enough.
      Here's the thing. I suppose the ref could have said that he didn't give the guy enough room to catch the ball even though he did. He also could have called helmet to helmet I suppose but that didn't happen either but it was kind of close. It was "hitting a defenseless player". Give me a break.

Comment

I think that hitting a defenseless player is generally applied to helmet to helmet calls
        Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
        Hope is not a strategy
        RIP

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
          I think that hitting a defenseless player is generally applied to helmet to helmet calls
          And there's another thing ND. That helmet to helmet crap goes on all day long and you don't see one called unless it's the QB or a wr getting hit. Then out of the blue somebody calls one once a month and you wonder wtf people start losing interest?

Comment

That was a dumb call! Nothing else can be said

Comment

Working...
            X