Register blog | Columns | Amazon FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read mobile style

Go Back   Philly.Sportscolumn.com > Everything Else > Entertainment

Old 05-25-2006, 04:27 PM   #11
trufresh17
Veteran

trufresh17 has disabled reputation
Send a message via Yahoo to trufresh17

Is it that I'm getting older, or that I just listen to different stuff, because I haven't heard of half of that.

Anyone like something in the realm of Thievery Corporation or Nightmares on Wax?
Old 05-25-2006, 04:44 PM   #12
sfphillyfan 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

sfphillyfan will become famous soon enough

I'm not so sure that you're getting older, trufresh.. it might be me getting much older. Clap Your Hands is about the hippest band I lsiten to. Jenny Lewis is very mellow.
The views and opinions expressed above are those of sfphillyfan and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of EFO or the administration. And to further confuse you, here's a pic of Kate Beckinsale:
:
sfphillyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 05:32 PM   #13
stevemc 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

stevemc has disabled reputation

trufresh - if you like Theivery Corporation - then alot of what we're talking about would suit you.
stevemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 11:12 PM   #14
Vote for Kalas 
2015 Contributor
Hall of Famer

Vote for Kalas has disabled reputation

Thanks for starting this steve...

I listened to the Pearl Jam and was left cold to be honest...it sounded really flat, but then Ten is my standard and that may be unfair...

Have not bought or heard much lately...but their are a couple of good releases coming soon and the Jam on the River is going to be fun this weekend..

-Andy Reid
Vote for Kalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 02:14 PM   #15
trufresh17
Veteran

I've listened to all these, except for the Pearl Jam (never been a fan, much like U2, I never understood all the hype).

Rabbit Fur Coat is very nice, a lot like Neko Case, who I love.

Gnarls Barkley is entertaining, would be better if the Gorillaz hadn't already done it. I do like Cee-Lo, so it gets props for that.

Clap Your Hands Say Yeah is a great listen, thanks for the recommendation.

Here's some stuff I just gave a listen to:
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Show Your Bones. A step up from Fever to Tell, much more polished, which I think is a good thing.

Cat Power - The Greatest. I really like Cat Power, but this album is not nearly as edgy or dark as past releases. That said, she has an incredible voice, and I would recommend this to anyone, fan of hers or not.

Sia - Colour the Small One. Nice release from the female lead of Zero 7. Six Feet Under Fans will recognize "Breathe Me" from the series finale ending sequence. The Four Tet remix of this track is especially nice. Great rainy day music.

Beth Orton - Comfort of Strangers. The first track "worms" is very catchy, but the album peaks there. Not her best work, but worth getting nonetheless.
Old 05-28-2006, 02:26 PM   #16
sfphillyfan 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

Lived in Bars is a great song. The Greatest is my fav Cat Power album. It's got that nice southern flavor to it.

Of course, how could I fail to mention Fiona Apple.

Oh and if any of you like Norah Jones (no, I'm not gay) check out Leona Naess self titled album. I listen to it more than Norah.
The views and opinions expressed above are those of sfphillyfan and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of EFO or the administration. And to further confuse you, here's a pic of Kate Beckinsale:
:
Old 05-28-2006, 03:39 PM   #17
trufresh17
Veteran

I like Fiona, but her last album missed the mark for me. I still listen to Tidal, Shadow Boxer is one of my favorite songs of all time.
Old 05-28-2006, 05:04 PM   #18
footballchick
Rookie Beeyotch

footballchick has disabled reputation

OK, i know my likes are a little different from all of yours, but my bf took me to a HIM concert a little ago, the music was OK, but the place where they played was way too small, so it sounded like crap.

Also, we were supposed to be going to a concert last night. It was 3 tribute bands for the original bands AC/DC, KISS, and OZZY. We had tickets to go, but ended up not going, we were too tired from tubing that we didn't go. It would have been pretty good though.
Old 05-28-2006, 07:13 PM   #19
sfphillyfan 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trufresh17
I like Fiona, but her last album missed the mark for me. I still listen to Tidal, Shadow Boxer is one of my favorite songs of all time.
I didn't like it at first either but it's really grown on me. Parting Gift is a standout track. I loved When the Pawn... and there are some song on Tidal that make it hard to believe she was like 18 when she recorded that album.
:
Old 05-28-2006, 08:33 PM   #20
trufresh17
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfphillyfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by trufresh17
I didn't like it at first either but it's really grown on me. Parting Gift is a standout track. I loved When the Pawn... and there are some song on Tidal that make it hard to believe she was like 18 when she recorded that album.
Perhaps I should give it another chance. Sounds like we have similar music tastes, Vin. Have you listened to Rachel Yamagata (Happenstance) or Over the Rhine (Ohio)? Or anything by Emiliana Torrini?