observations from Pre Season Game 1 Steelers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• observations from Pre Season Game 1 Steelers

Oh that time of year again. Preseason football. This year we will experience something that we have not experienced before, playing every game as Super Bowl Champs. That said here are my observations from Pre Season Game 1.

Very few starters actually played.

1. Sudfeld - I thought the kid played pretty well. The first INT was horrible but the second one I think was on Treggs he cut his route short. Either way the talent is there, you can see on the two TD throws and several other. Sudfeld needs to continue to learn to read defenses

2. The Running backs - I really liked what I saw from Josh Adams, big and fast. very good potential there. I think Smallwood is not going to make the team, same for Pumphrey. Clement looks like a star in the making. Ajayi has something to prove.

3. Wide Receivers - Aside from Gibson they all stunk. Hollins can't get open, the rest are just guys including Aiken. I would not be surprised if we add another WR at some point

4. Offensive line - I really liked what I saw from Pryor, Big V looks a little more fluid. Malita got toasted on his first snap ever playing football but settled in after that, has some potential. Seumolo is can't snap the ball. Too many high snaps that threw off plays.

5. Geodert - Dude looks like Ertz so much so I thought the first catch it was Ertz. What a pair of weapons we have with him and Ertz. Also I thought Richard Rodgers played pretty well, no catches but he was getting open and actually blocked pretty well.

6. Rasual Douglas - I think he could be a guy that we see traded. Just a hunch, he takes too many chances for a Schwartz defense. He has talent no doubt but instead of trying to intercept everything sometimes just batting it down if fine.

7. Linebackers - I thought most of them played pretty well. Kamu really stood out but I didn' t think Geary was bad either. Nice to see Hicks back on the field. Not sure why there was no holding call on Bradan on one play he got mugged like Bradam mugged that cabana boy.

8. The officials -Thank god this was a preseason game because these guys were inconsistent and that is being kind. A regular season game and we would be wondering what they had against us. I agreed with the call on Jones on the helmet to helmet hit (although the offensive player also led with his helmet which can be called now to), however a very similar play against Clement and no flag. Consistency is all we ask for.

Overall this was what I expected from a preseason game where you started your 3rd string QB and the starters who did play played all of two series. I think Pittsburgh may have a few young players who are better than ours but I think our roster overall is probably better. Let's not forget this is two 13-3 teams playing from last year.

Football is back baby, Go Birds
    Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Adams really looked good running with the ball. He's a lot bigger than I thought. I'm sure not worried about running backs! I hope that this means that Doug won't even consider keeping the fumbler that we picked up from Washington. That Mailata kid has a very quick first step and gets out of his stance in a blink. There's a ton of natural ability there. I don't know what the heck they should do with him. He played the whole second half which was surprising to me. It's hard to believe that Warmack was a star in college.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

I’m halfway through and so far I love the OL play.

I think Gerry looks a little lost unfortunately and I had high hopes for him.

Douglas got beat on the TD but I think he stumbled. Other than that I thought Douglas looks great so far. That pick was Al Harris like.
      You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

Fake phoney exhibitions are just not worth many observations .... Other than observing how many or few injuries ...... Ask the skins already.

Comment

Done watching. Isaac S looked better than ever.

I see why people think Douglas looked bad. He got beat on the second TD but that was an amazing throw and catch. He was trailing there but it took a great catch to get that in there.

Adams is a stud. My RBs are Ajayi, Clement, Adams, and Sproles. They are going to cut bait with Smallwood. He is just not good enough. Maybe they can sneak Pumphrey to the practice squad. Don’t care though... they are very solid at RB in my mind.

Goedert is really a big and athletic target. I can’t imagine the nightmare a DC is going to have when we have Ertz and Goedert in the game together. I’ll bet those guys combine for 175 catches and 1500 yards.

Treggs sucks. Gibson did run right by that CB but I’m not sure what kind of coverage that even was. It looked like that crappy trail technique or just a press coverage where the CB didn’t lay a glove on him. And speedy WR would have gotten over the top there.

Man our OL is good and DEEP.

LB is gonna be a depth issue but it always is.

Lastly, did anybody else notice that Elijah Qualls seemed to play in the rotation virtually the entire game? He started alongside Cox and he was still playing in the late stages of the game??? That was odd to me.
          You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewaters View Post
            Lastly, did anybody else notice that Elijah Qualls seemed to play in the rotation virtually the entire game? He started alongside Cox and he was still playing in the late stages of the game??? That was odd to me.
            I think it was Destiny Veaeo that started but I could be wrong.
            Canada's #1 Eagles fan.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewaters View Post
              Done watching. Isaac S looked better than ever.

I see why people think Douglas looked bad. He got beat on the second TD but that was an amazing throw and catch. He was trailing there but it took a great catch to get that in there.

Adams is a stud. My RBs are Ajayi, Clement, Adams, and Sproles. They are going to cut bait with Smallwood. He is just not good enough. Maybe they can sneak Pumphrey to the practice squad. Don’t care though... they are very solid at RB in my mind.

Goedert is really a big and athletic target. I can’t imagine the nightmare a DC is going to have when we have Ertz and Goedert in the game together. I’ll bet those guys combine for 175 catches and 1500 yards.

Treggs sucks. Gibson did run right by that CB but I’m not sure what kind of coverage that even was. It looked like that crappy trail technique or just a press coverage where the CB didn’t lay a glove on him. And speedy WR would have gotten over the top there.

Man our OL is good and DEEP.

LB is gonna be a depth issue but it always is.

No, but I did notice that he broke the record for defensive tackles holding though.

Comment

Goedert is the real deal. Pete Retzlaff of this generation???? He could be but it is real early. You have to have a lot of things go right in your career but the raw talent is there.
                Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                Hope is not a strategy
                RIP

Comment

Originally posted by rspurr View Post
                  I think it was Destiny Veaeo that started but I could be wrong.
                  Veaeo did start the game but Qualls played a whole bunch.

Comment

Why does Treggs continue to hang around ? I would rather see the rookies than this guy as he has shown nothing since he has been here.

The coaches must see something though.

I know he is supposed to be fast. But, I have not seen it in the games. He is not that big, rarely seems to get open and his hands are not that good from what we have seen. We already have a burner in Shelton Gibson and now Wallace.

This guy is one of the more puzzling moves, at least IMO, that I have seen from this team in the last few years.

Comment

Originally posted by Pliny View Post
                      Why does Treggs continue to hang around ? I would rather see the rookies than this guy as he has shown nothing since he has been here.

The coaches must see something though.

I know he is supposed to be fast. But, I have not seen it in the games. He is not that big, rarely seems to get open and his hands are not that good from what we have seen. We already have a burner in Shelton Gibson and now Wallace.

This guy is one of the more puzzling moves, at least IMO, that I have seen from this team in the last few years.
                      Well you can't teach speed so I guess that's why they have him around. We didn't get anything from wrs Thursday other than the bomb to Gibson. The timing with all of these guys is all screwed up in preseason too. It seemed like Sudfeld was looking for Goedert on every play which didn't help the wrs either.

Comment

Working...
                      X