X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Top 32 Free Agents

Originally posted by MDFAN
    Originally posted by ThoughtProcess
    Cards tag OLB Dansby. Wonder if this means anything on the Fitzgerald front?
    http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7798 ... -LB-Dansby
    Might (just guessing here) mean that they feel good about getting a new deal done............................
    That was my feeling too. Either that or Dansby is showing a willingness to get a new deal done pronto. If that occurs, could the cards then use the tag on someone else?

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think you place the franchise tag on a player that still has a year(s) left on his contract. So the Cards placing the tag on Dansby should have no bearing on Fitz's status.
      Stand for the flag you assholes!

Eagles, Flyers Phillies fan since 1977. GO O'S!!

Comment

Fitzgerald is going to restructure, I all but guarantee it. Of all the 'star receiver rumors' (wow, there sure are a lot of those this offseason) this was the one that never seemed to have anything behind it. It was nothing but speculation based on Fitzgerald's cap number and nothing coming from the Cardinals or from Fitzgerald.

Comment

Originally posted by Zepster
          Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think you place the franchise tag on a player that still has a year(s) left on his contract. So the Cards placing the tag on Dansby should have no bearing on Fitz's status.
          My apologies to you in advance if I am belaboring the obvious or beating a dead horse as it were, but here goes: Dansby is a UFA, as is his opposite number at the other OLB spot, Calvin Pace. The relation between Fitz's deal and dansby is that Fitz has reached triggers in his contract that boost his cap number to 16.5 mil. That price tag would seriously cramp the Cards' style in relation to signing other FA's including their own. Up until this point neither dansby or Fitzgerald has renegotiated so he Cards are said to be working diligently to get Fitzgerald's numbers to a more manageable place, and get a long-term deal done for dansby. in the interim, Dansby gets the tag so that the Cards do not have to worry about him hitting the market. That would still make Fitzgerald's cap number even more onerous. As you said, the cards can't tag Fitzgerald, as he is still under contract. There is still Pace though. WR Bryant Johnson will not get tagged. A new Fitzgerald deal likely greases the skids for the whole Cards' Free agency ride.(Whew!)

Comment

Originally posted by Zepster
            My apologies to you in advance if I am belaboring the obvious or beating a dead horse as it were, but here goes: Dansby is a UFA, as is his opposite number at the other OLB spot, Calvin Pace. The relation between Fitz's deal and dansby is that Fitz has reached triggers in his contract that boost his cap number to 16.5 mil. That price tag would seriously cramp the Cards' style in relation to signing other FA's including their own. Up until this point neither dansby or Fitzgerald has renegotiated so he Cards are said to be working diligently to get Fitzgerald's numbers to a more manageable place, and get a long-term deal done for dansby. in the interim, Dansby gets the tag so that the Cards do not have to worry about him hitting the market. That would still make Fitzgerald's cap number even more onerous. As you said, the cards can't tag Fitzgerald, as he is still under contract. There is still Pace though. WR Bryant Johnson will not get tagged. A new Fitzgerald deal likely greases the skids for the whole Cards' Free agency ride.(Whew!)

Now I see the light! lol. Thanks for clarifying, I was not seeing the correlation.
            Stand for the flag you assholes!

Eagles, Flyers Phillies fan since 1977. GO O'S!!

Comment

More Larry:

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/Th ... de=nfcwest

"...Our primary objective is trying to keep our core guys together,” Cardinals GM Rod Graves recently told the Arizona Republic. “Larry’s deal certainly has a bearing on how we proceed through free agency, but we’re prepared in one form or another to either get his deal done or not have it done.” While we’ve been assured that the restructuring of Fitzgerald’s deal is the No. 1 task on Graves’ to-do list at the moment, team sources tell us it’s been hard to get a read on the current state of negotiations between Graves and Fitzgerald’s agent, Eugene Parker..."

Comment

Interesting development. Instead of franchising Justin Smith (who had a big time down year) - the Bengals franchised Stacy Andrews. Smith will now hit the market most likely.

Comment

More Larry:

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/Th ... de=nfcwest

"...Our primary objective is trying to keep our core guys together,” Cardinals GM Rod Graves recently told the Arizona Republic. “Larry’s deal certainly has a bearing on how we proceed through free agency, but we’re prepared in one form or another to either get his deal done or not have it done.” While we’ve been assured that the restructuring of Fitzgerald’s deal is the No. 1 task on Graves’ to-do list at the moment, team sources tell us it’s been hard to get a read on the current state of negotiations between Graves and Fitzgerald’s agent, Eugene Parker..."
                  * Eugene Parker has extensive dealings with the Eagles. If we can just convince Graves to deal Fitz to us...
                  Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
                  Playoff Appearances:
                  NFC Title Games:
                  Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

Originally posted by stevemc
                    Interesting development. Instead of franchising Justin Smith (who had a big time down year) - the Bengals franchised Stacy Andrews. Smith will now hit the market most likely.
                    Smith will probably be a nice sign for someone, and I wouldn't mind the birds being in those talks. I won't be surprised to see him get a lot of looks. It is only sports talk radio but the Vikes play by play guy and sideline guys all say they think he is someone the Vikes would be looking at--even moreso with the probability of losing a DE to cancer.
                    Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                    Hope is not a strategy
                    RIP

Comment

Originally posted by stevemc

It was my hope that Stacy and Shawn could get on the field together as Eagles. The Bengals recognize his talent, as do the other teams that were in waiting.
                      http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7813 ... on-Andrews

Comment

Working...
                      X