Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enemy Camp

Report: A.J. Green will not play in Week 13

Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver A.J. Green will definitely not play in the team's Week 13 game against the Philadelphia Eagles according to Bob Holtzman of ESPN.

After being carted off the field on the second play from scrimmage with a severe hamstring injury two weeks ago, there was never much chance that Green could play again this soon but it is good to have confirmation. Holtzman did say Green's hamstring is "healing as expected," suggesting he could be back in the next couple games. Once the Bengals are mathematically eliminated from playoff contention, it is possible they will choose not to risk further injury to their best offensive player by putting him back on the field in 2016. Wideouts Brandon LaFell and Tyler Boyd plus Pro Bowl tight end Tyler Eifert will likely have to carry the passing game for the remainder of the season.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

More in the Bengals

An inside look at the matchup with a Bengals beat reporter.

By Josh Paunil | December 2, 2016 at 6:45 am

In this week’s installment of Opposition Research, we talked to Cincinnati Enquirer Bengals beat reporter Jim Owczarski. We discussed the Bengals’ recent struggles, why they’ve failed to live up to preseason expectations, key matchups and who will win, among a few other topics.

What are the Bengals’ strengths?

“I don’t know that they have one strength they can rely on at this point now that A.J. Green is out for the foreseeable future with his hamstring injury. Andy Dalton, through seven games, had a passer rating over 100 and was arguably playing at a higher level than he was a year ago when he was a part of the MVP conversation before his injury. But the last four games for him has been his worse stretch since the middle of 2014. As of right now, I would say the strength is an improving defense. Over the last three games, they’re giving up about 18.7 points per game, which would be in the top-10 in the league. While their total ranks are not impressive, the defense has been better both in limiting touchdowns and creating turnovers.”

What are the Bengals’ weaknesses?

“At this point, two things. Offensively, they cannot score in the fourth quarter. It’s almost unexplainable. The Bengals have scored one touchdown and two field goals — 13 points — in the last six games in the fourth quarter. On defense, they’re improving, but in six out of the last eight games they’ve allowed a touchdown on their opponent’s opening drive so this team is trailing very early in games and they can’t score.”

Outside of Green, what other notable injuries are the Bengals dealing with?

“[Running back] Giovani Bernard is out for the season. This is their second game without him; he tore his ACL at the end of the game in Buffalo. Rex Burkhead is going to fill that hole. He had 48 total yards of offense last week, which isn’t eye-popping, but he kind of found a rhythm at the end of that game so he’s a player I’m sure the Eagles will pay attention to. Dalton has been on the injury report in the last three weeks with a right shoulder. He starts the week on the injury report and then at the end of the week he’s not on it. He says he’s fine, but he’s taken some hard hits. His throws haven’t looked very good — his accuracy is way down. The deep ball, which he’s usually so accurate on in the last year and a half, has sort of gone away from him. When you look at the eye test, he doesn’t seem right.”

How are the Bengals dealing with life without Green and Bernard?

“They’ve tried some different things, but [tight end] Tyler Eifert is seeing double coverage and the safety over the top. On the lone touchdown the Bengals scored against Baltimore, he was triple-covered in the end zone; Andy Dalton broke out of the pocket, started running and Tyler Eifert was able to break away and find some space. Tyler Eifert had five catches last week, but it was all in the second half and all when the Ravens had a double-digit lead and when he was in single coverage. I imagine you’d see the same type of game plan from the Eagles really blanketing him and keeping him out of those one-on-one situations.”

Before the season, a lot of people viewed the Bengals as a top-10 team. Why do you think they’ve failed to meet expectations so much at 3-7-1?

“That’s a great question, and it’s a question many members of the team and coaching staff have struggled to answer. This group has won a lot over the last five years — five straight playoff games — and there are only a handful of guys who know what it’s like to have a losing season or struggle in a season. It’s unexplainable in a lot of ways; injuries aren’t really a part of it. I think it’s a combination of elements: 1) The defense’s key elements got old really fast — [defensive end] Michael Johnson, [linebacker] Rey Maualuga, [linebacker] Karlos Dansby and others they counted on to play big roles this year just haven’t been very good. Offensively, they’re working in [wide receivers] Brandon LaFell and Tyler Boyd, but they aren’t Marvin Jones or Mohamed Sanu. Frankly, they’re just not as good or as deep at that position. They’re 1-4-1 in games lost by a possession, so they’re in games, but they’re not closing games.”

What’s a key matchup that could determine who wins?

“It may be too simple to say offensive line vs. defensive line, but the Bengals’ offensive line this year has not been very good. Andy Dalton has been hit a lot, he’s been sacked a lot and he’s had to run around quite a bit. At times, they’ve played very well; most of the time, not so much. I’m also looking forward to seeing [linebacker] Vontaze Burfict against Zach Ertz, Darren Sproles or Wendell Smallwood. Burfict is playing his best football of the year; he’s in shape, his legs are under him. He’s recognizing things and Doug Pederson was very complimentary about how he’s reading crossing routes, but teams threw at him early and they went after him early in the year. Tight ends really tore apart the Bengals, but it hasn’t happened as of late so I’m curious if Carson Wentz will stay away from him or go after him.”

Who do you think will win?

“Over at Cincinnati.com, I have 17-12 Eagles. I think that’s the MO of the Bengals team the last four weeks: close, relatively ugly and might even be driving down late with a chance to win the game before finding a way to not have that happen. I understand the Eagles are struggling, especially on the road, but I’ve seen too much whether it’s the defense with momentary lapses or the offense not being able to get out of their own way. Kicker Mike Nugent is also under a lot of fire here. Fans in Cincinnati are waiting to boo him; he’s missed three straights PATs and he’s missed field goals lately. He’s really struggled the last four weeks and honestly, I don’t know if he’ll make a kick that matter on Sunday. I think it will be close and ugly, but I think the Bengals will lose.”

Read more at http://www.phillymag.com/birds247/20...duLFH1Fr6ha.99

Comment

So we can expect a dozen catches for 150 yards out of Eifort and the Bengals to score 21 in the 4th quarter.

Comment

Originally posted by Rossovich View Post
        So we can expect a dozen catches for 150 yards out of Eifort and the Bengals to score 21 in the 4th quarter.
        Nugent kicks a 60-yarder to nail it for them deep in the 4th, so they score 24 late in the game.
        "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

Originally posted by stocknowledge View Post
          Nugent kicks a 60-yarder to nail it for them deep in the 4th, so they score 24 late in the game.
          I can't stand Nugent. I'm sure that you're asking how the hell you can "hate" a kicker but he's on my list. When the new extra point rule was introduced he was the biggest crybaby of all kickers. He went to the press an was extremely vocal about a lousy extra point rule that he was scared to death of. So I ask you, what professional athlete has ever asked for less of a roll in a game? Rather than go out and prove that kickers are even more valuable because of the rule and are probably going to get paid more he chose to bitch about it and is most likely done after this year. The coward goes from being a Pro Bowl kicker to a POS who can't kick worth crap over a few yards on an extra point. He became a mental wreck over it. He was exposed for the little pansy he is and is washed up. Just who you want standing over the ball to win you a game right? What a friekin pussy.

Comment

Working...
          X