No announcement yet.

Birds Sign DT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The three step drops with DBs playing 8 yards off! Scheme has to be addressed as well. Does that mean better players at DB then go get them!

Comment

Wednesday, Mar 25, 2020 06:01 PM

Don't forget about Hassan Ridgeway
      poses for a portrait at the NovaCare Complex on April 25, 2019 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. (Photo by Drew Hallowell/Philadelphia Eagles)
      Chris McPherson
      When the legal negotiation window opened on Monday, March 16 ahead of free agency, the first player that the Eagles agreed to terms with was one of their own – defensive tackle Hassan Ridgeway.

"I'm happy to be back with Philly. It's a great organization and a great group of guys. I couldn't be happier," he said.

Lost in the wake of the additions of Javon Hargrave and Darius Slay, among others, Ridgeway was coming into his own last season, thrust into an expanded role after injuries fell the defensive tackle rotation.

A former fourth-round pick of the Colts, the Eagles acquired Ridgeway on the final day of the 2019 NFL Draft. With Fletcher Cox, Malik Jackson, and Tim Jernigan forming what was expected to be arguably the best trio of defensive tackles in the game, Ridgeway was a nice depth piece with 34 career games under his belt from his time with Indianapolis. The time behind the scenes would serve Ridgeway well as he adjusted to the way the Eagles unleash their defensive linemen and attack up the field.

The learning curve was accelerated, however. Malik Jackson suffered a season-ending foot injury in Week 1, which was followed by Tim Jernigan suffering a foot injury of his own the next Sunday in Atlanta.

Just like that, Ridgeway was starting alongside Cox. Then, Ridgeway fell victim to the injury bug as he suffered a season-ending ankle injury in Week 7 at Dallas.

For the year, Ridgeway had 10 tackles, nine quarterback pressures and hits, six tackles for loss, and two sacks in 252 snaps over seven games (five starts).

"A lot of ups and downs, but a lot of positives to take from it," Ridgeway said of the roller-coaster season that ranged from the trade to the injury. "It was slow going at first and getting into the season, but I felt like I was catching my rhythm right before my injury."

The 6-3, 305-pound Ridgeway is still only 25 years old. He returned to Philadelphia to take care of "unfinished business" coming off the injury.

Once again, Ridgeway will be in the shadows as Cox and Jackson return, and the Eagles agreed to terms on the first day of the new League Year with Javon Hargrave, who had 10.5 sacks for Pittsburgh over the past two seasons. The Eagles hope that the triumvirate at the top of the defensive tackle depth chart works out. Ridgeway will do everything in his power to push for the role that he had at the time of his injury.

"We can't ask for a better, better group to be a part of. These are tackles that are elite. All you're going to do is push each other to be better," Ridgeway said. "When you know that the person next to you is going to be doing their job, it's the expectation that you're going to have to do yours. If you have somebody elite like Fletcher, somebody who can rush like Malik, and then you have Javon coming in, you've got three guys that know how to do their job and know what to expect. You have to step up and make sure you're doing your job just as well so there's no drop-off."
      We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

The DT corps should be elite. While I think the DEs (Graham/Barnett/et al) are above average I think playing along these DTs will make them better.
        Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
        Hope is not a strategy
        RIP

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
          The DT corps should be elite. While I think the DEs (Graham/Barnett/et al) are above average I think playing along these DTs will make them better.
          I really think our defense is pushing towards being elite. I think we are headed towards a really good season
          We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

I was listening to Ike Reese and whomever his sidekick is yesterday while working in the yard and they are both saying we aren't doing enough.

I just don't see it honestly. We are think at LB and we really need WR help. I'd like another RB also and I wouldn't be a bit upset if we drafted a center/guard type on the second day of the draft.

But this team is loading up with young talent.

Granted, we are relying on Desean and Alshon to recover. But I do think we will see JJ and Greg Ward play better this next season. And I do think the WR that we are likely to get in the first round will be an impact guy.

I think we could be very good heading into next season.
            You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

Read a blurb saying the birds aren't looking at FA WRs because they are looking for a new guy who can work and grow with Wentz. Not a vet who has already established protocols/opinions (can't remember exact language they used) so.....look to the draft
              Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
              Hope is not a strategy
              RIP

Comment

Working...
              X