X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NFL Eagles Preview

Originally posted by WCPhan
    In reference to ST's:

Boiman, Clemens, and Jackson were added to this roster to bolster the STs. Boiman and Jackson specifically for that purpose.

Considering that we ranked dead fu@#$@# last in that category, anything will be an improvement, but to add talent specifically will put this group into the top 10.
    Don't forget Lawton, Wilson and maybe even Klecko on the teams as well as Booker and Demps at KR. Other upgrades could come from the return of Considine and the backups Andy has found like Smith, Studebaker and Mays.

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Dutchman
      Originally posted by WCPhan
      In reference to ST's:

Boiman, Clemens, and Jackson were added to this roster to bolster the STs. Boiman and Jackson specifically for that purpose.

Considering that we ranked dead fu@#$@# last in that category, anything will be an improvement, but to add talent specifically will put this group into the top 10.
      Don't forget Lawton, Wilson and maybe even Klecko on the teams as well as Booker and Demps at KR. Other upgrades could come from the return of Considine and the backups Andy has found like Smith, Studebaker and Mays.
      Exactly. Athletes.

Comment

Well, not all of those guys will be on the team. Numbers just don't work out.
        I also am optimistic about the D, as with EB maybe overly so. If Patterson or Bunkley are going to break out as a top of the league tandem this should be the year. I hope they do because both have had plenty of time in this D. Same with the DEs. Cole and Thomas have had plenty of play time and Abi has had pre-season and regular season time. We'll see with Clemons but he is a vet who should be on his upside. The same has to be said for the LBs. All have had a couple of camps and seasons to prepare for this chance to make household names for themselves in the league. The safeties; I'm not as optimistic as most the Dawkins will be back to his previous level of play but the safties should be ok.
        So this D is on the verge of something. It may be great or it may be that they all wind up as good but not great players.
        As for the O; I'll save that for another day but I will say it could be excellent. But, just as likely it could be so-so. And so-so may be enough.
        Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
        Hope is not a strategy
        RIP

Comment

I just can't see how they can't be better, at this point. I really didn't think they were THAT bad last year. There were a lot of key elements that were unhealthy, and they still should have made the playoffs. Special teams gaffs probably cost us a playoff berth last year, and we know that the coaches did a $hitty job all year, with Reid being distracted and whatnot.

I'm not one to get overly optimistic, but I can't help but think that this team is really going to come back with a vengance, and knock the f'ing snot out of people this year.

Comment

OK all I'm saying is that I'm NOT buying a bigger bandwagon!! Those fans who have been with us already have a seat, those who want to join us after the season starts are on their own to find room. I'll clear off the running boards, the roof and the hood but they have to find their own spot and hang on for dear life!! I really don't care where they sit, stand or cling too- just stay off of my lap (that's reserved for the cheerleaders! And Fresh don't try dressing up in a cheerleader outfit again like you did last year - I only fall for that once!! ...ok twice but I didn't recognize you once you shaved your mustache. )

I feel really great about the Defense and with the moves they made to improve ST. Jackson gives us a very nice KO return threat and Booker does the same with punt returns. Our special teams were special - as in "special education" - last season, so it's not going to take much for them to look better this year!! And I love the moves we made on D this year with Samuel and Clemons (who also helps get the ST off the short bus.) If either Laws or Demps shows us early that they can play at this level it's a bonus for depth and a bright spot for the future. Patterson and Bunkley at tackle with Cole, Clemons, Howard, Thomas and Abiamiri all taking turns roving for the QB with Bradley, Gaither, and Gocong at LB, well it just reminds me of Jaws (as in the movie). Its like a pack of sharks swirling around a lone swimmer -- it's not a question of IF they're going to get to him, just a matter of HOW MANY will get to take a bite!! This D has me as excited as I've been since the early 90s!

But on the other side the ball is where I have some concerns. The Offense should be better than last year simply by having a healthy LJ to help with the red zone problems and a healthy (and durable) McNabb should get us a couple of more wins than we saw last year. But I'd be lying if I said I wasn't really worried about McNabb's ability to stay on the field this year. His history is to miss a few games every season and we still don't know for certain what Kolb can do. We'll get a better sense of that in camp and the fake-games, but even those glimpses will be tainted. The best thing that can happen obviously is that McNabb stays healthy all year - but history says that's a long shot. If he misses a few games we need Kolb to show us that he's ready and able to lead this team to victory in real games, against real opponents. But of course this being Philadelphia that will instantly start a QB controversy and we've seen how McNabb (mostly Mama and Papa McNabb!!) handle that sort of thing and honestly I just don't want to hear or see that crap this year! The alternative of course is that Kolb looses those games and we're left struggling to make the playoffs, hoping McNabb can come back from whatever injury he has and then left to wonder about the future of the team! I want this season to be focused on football, no QB controversies, no coaching side shows, no contract disputes -- just plain old football! So as I said, the best thing that can happen is that McNabb stays on the field all year and gives us our best shot at that championship. Once Kolb takes the field, all bets are off no matter what happens!!
            Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
            Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Awesome post Juk, agree with just about all of that -- and if our defense looks good this year, I'll borrow your "pack of sharks" line every chance I get!
              "Philly fans are great....It's the only place where you pull up on the bus and you've got the grandfather, the grandmother, the kids and the grandkids - everybody flicking you off. At other stadiums, they give you the thumbs-down. Here, they give you the middle finger.”
              — Michael Strahan

"No one likes us, no one likes us, no one likes us, we don’t care, we’re from Philly, F—-ing Philly, No one likes us, we don’t care!”
              - Jason Kelce with the best championship speech ever

Comment

Originally posted by Jukin
                OK all I'm saying is that I'm NOT buying a bigger bandwagon!! Those fans who have been with us already have a seat, those who want to join us after the season starts are on their own to find room. I'll clear off the running boards, the roof and the hood but they have to find their own spot and hang on for dear life!! I really don't care where they sit, stand or cling too- just stay off of my lap (that's reserved for the cheerleaders! And Fresh don't try dressing up in a cheerleader outfit again like you did last year - I only fall for that once!! ...ok twice but I didn't recognize you once you shaved your mustache. )

I feel really great about the Defense and with the moves they made to improve ST. Jackson gives us a very nice KO return threat and Booker does the same with punt returns. Our special teams were special - as in "special education" - last season, so it's not going to take much for them to look better this year!! And I love the moves we made on D this year with Samuel and Clemons (who also helps get the ST off the short bus.) If either Laws or Demps shows us early that they can play at this level it's a bonus for depth and a bright spot for the future. Patterson and Bunkley at tackle with Cole, Clemons, Howard, Thomas and Abiamiri all taking turns roving for the QB with Bradley, Gaither, and Gocong at LB, well it just reminds me of Jaws (as in the movie). Its like a pack of sharks swirling around a lone swimmer -- it's not a question of IF they're going to get to him, just a matter of HOW MANY will get to take a bite!! This D has me as excited as I've been since the early 90s!

But on the other side the ball is where I have some concerns. The Offense should be better than last year simply by having a healthy LJ to help with the red zone problems and a healthy (and durable) McNabb should get us a couple of more wins than we saw last year. But I'd be lying if I said I wasn't really worried about McNabb's ability to stay on the field this year. His history is to miss a few games every season and we still don't know for certain what Kolb can do. We'll get a better sense of that in camp and the fake-games, but even those glimpses will be tainted. The best thing that can happen obviously is that McNabb stays healthy all year - but history says that's a long shot. If he misses a few games we need Kolb to show us that he's ready and able to lead this team to victory in real games, against real opponents. But of course this being Philadelphia that will instantly start a QB controversy and we've seen how McNabb (mostly Mama and Papa McNabb!!) handle that sort of thing and honestly I just don't want to hear or see that crap this year! The alternative of course is that Kolb looses those games and we're left struggling to make the playoffs, hoping McNabb can come back from whatever injury he has and then left to wonder about the future of the team! I want this season to be focused on football, no QB controversies, no coaching side shows, no contract disputes -- just plain old football! So as I said, the best thing that can happen is that McNabb stays on the field all year and gives us our best shot at that championship. Once Kolb takes the field, all bets are off no matter what happens!!
                You got me fired up, Put me in coach. I'm really liking the youth, talent and depth, and I believe Kolb is one of the biggest assets. I truely believe that if 5 goes down, (to quote Andy ) we are fine there. the defense is actually causing me some awesome wood, cuz for the first time in a long time I see potential for big plays, 3 and outs , field position and a dominating,knock you down, stand over you and dare you to come back again D. The offfense will see the field alot more, the field will be shorter and there will be a lot of opportunities for Andy to go deep onfirst down. People,we are in for 1 hell of a ride.
                We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by musicman
                  stand over you and dare you to come back again D.
                  Isn't that what is referred to as "swagger" ?

Comment

I agree the D has great promise, but like Fresh I sense some time will be needed for the group, especially the LB, to become a unit working together. That starts in TC, but really cannot be completed until the games are real IMO. The talent is definitely there, however, and it has been great how the Eagles have compiled a whole new group so quickly.

I have some reservations on ST too until we actually see what Jackson & the other additions bring and if vet STers like Mikell et al. are going to start or be available to play ST regularly.

Unfortunately, we may wish for certain things, but we are in Philadelphia and so there will always be a QB controversy, silly accusations, made up stories, attacks on character, coaching side shows etc. That IS football in Philadelphia, plain and simple. For the media and some fans, on the field is only half the equation and there are no limits to what is or can be manufactured as news.

Again, I am not sure how McNabb could handle all the crap better than he has...the guy has tried every strategy known to human kind to reach out and explain himself with the result of largely being blamed/bashed regardless. He can only be who he is as a person and should not have to apologize or change himself to fit our demented view of how stars or pro athletes should act. If people want scrappy Jeff Garcia types, fine, but have fun not winning. I'll take a winner like McNabb every day of every week.

The key to the O is again the OL in my view with QB & TE being close. LJ is very important to McNabb and vice versa. We've seen LJ start hot with McNabb, be on the way to a great season and then lose out largely because McMahon/Garcia did not use him as effectively or he was kept in more to block etc. He is important for McNabb due to his ability down the middle of the field and as an outlet if plays break down etc., but also vitally in the red zone. The OL must give time for the passing game to work and also make room for Westbrook/Booker/Buck/Hunt rushing. McNabb cannot be running for his life all game long regularly anymore; we need to protect him better and make sure he gets rid of it if nothing is available.

I would like another good WR and I hope the Eagles are still working on options, but in the end that is not going to win/lose games for us. We have won with less than stellar WR before and as long as the 3 units work together and execute well this team can go far. I have no idea how far, but they should be, good health included of course, a playoff team. From there, as we know, anything can and does happen.
                    Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

Tell you what, good production from our TE's -- calling LJ Smith and Brent Celek -- would be a big piece for our red zone offense. Seriously, in some years under AR, it seems like our TE's usually didn't get as many looks as the WR's or the RB's on most downs.......but, in the red zone, they got the call a lot more often and had almost as many TD's as the higher-profile guys. Whether it was Chad Lewis, LJ, even guys like Bartrum and Thomason. We could use that big target this year.
                      "Philly fans are great....It's the only place where you pull up on the bus and you've got the grandfather, the grandmother, the kids and the grandkids - everybody flicking you off. At other stadiums, they give you the thumbs-down. Here, they give you the middle finger.”
                      — Michael Strahan

"No one likes us, no one likes us, no one likes us, we don’t care, we’re from Philly, F—-ing Philly, No one likes us, we don’t care!”
                      - Jason Kelce with the best championship speech ever

Comment

Working...
                      X