Something up with Warmack?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something up with Warmack?

The Philadelphia Eagles made some changes to the practice squad on Thursday morning but the team isn’t done tweaking things just yet.

NFL agent Brett Tessler recently tweeted that his client Josh Andrews will be returning to Philly next week.

4-year veteran C/G Josh Andrews has recovered from the ankle injury he sustained with the Vikings and will be returning to the Philadelphia Eagles next week despite interest from 11 other teams. Will start off on psquad and then back to the 53-man roster soon.

— Brett Tessler (@TesslerSports) September 20, 2018
    Andrews originally joined the Eagles as an undrafted rookie free agent out of Oregon State following the 2014 NFL Draft. He spent his rookie season on the practice squad before then making the 53-man roster in both 2015 and 2016. Andrews spent the 2017 season back on the practice squad before leaving the Eagles to sign a futures contract with the Minnesota Vikings one week after Philadelphia’s Super Bowl win.

It was a little curious to see Andrews leave Philly since practice squad players usually just sign futures/reserve deals with the team they finished the year on. Perhaps former Eagles quarterback coach and current Vikings offensive coordinator John DeFilippo convinced Andrews he’d have a better opportunity at making the team in Minnesota.

Unfortunately for Andrews, that didn’t end up being the case. He was waived with an injury settlement after hurting his ankle in the preseason.

Andrews’ return could be bad news for current Eagles practice squad member Jon Toth. Andrews is a guard/center type and Toth only really plays at center.

It’s interesting that Andrews’ agent noted his client will be back on the 53-man roster soon. Why would the Eagles need to add another center/guard when they already seemingly have enough bodies there?

One explanation could be that the Eagles plan to trade or cut Chance Warmack, who has been a healthy scratch for the first two games. It’s pretty silly the Eagles are carrying his $2.03 million cap number just so he can be inactive on game day. It’s worth noting that trading Warmack would free up $1.66 million. Maybe the Eagles can move him in exchange for some fringe wide receiver.

In addition to bringing Andrews back, the Eagles worked out four free agent guards earlier this week. It clearly seems like there’s another shoe to drop at that position.

Eagles Injury Report: Updates on Jay Ajayi, Alshon Jeffery, Darren Sproles, more
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Giants need anyone with a pulse to improve their line. I would trade Chance within the division to the giants b/c we all know Chance still sucks even if it is an improvement for the Giants and any return from the Giants would be good too.

Comment

Originally posted by Vet Turf View Post
      Giants need anyone with a pulse to improve their line. I would trade Chance within the division to the giants b/c we all know Chance still sucks even if it is an improvement for the Giants and any return from the Giants would be good too.
      LOL. Yeah, I don't think that Howie would be too worried about that one coming back to bite him in the ass.
      "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

I thought there was a limit to the # of years you can be on a practice squad. Apparently Andrews has lived there for years running. Didn't think he'd be eligible for it again.

Comment

Originally posted by Vet Turf View Post

Thank you for the laugh!

Comment

Originally posted by stevemc View Post
            I thought there was a limit to the # of years you can be on a practice squad. Apparently Andrews has lived there for years running. Didn't think he'd be eligible for it again.
            He spent two years on the practice squad (2014 and 2017), and also spent 2015 and 2016 on the actual 53-man roster, but did not get into enough games to be disqualified from the practice squad. So I guess he has a year of eligibility left. Or maybe the Eagles will just sign him to the 53.

Comment

Working...
            X