No announcement yet.

PFT: Banner on Garcia Situation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The manner is which the birds approach negotiatioins/FAs may not be to my liking, your liking, the janitors liking, or anyone else's liking. But it appears to me they do ok with that model. Do they miss out on some--sure but every team misses out on some (save the skins who don't know when it is best to miss out). For the most part, not always but for the most part, the birds get all the ones they want and generally I think they get them at the price, or close to it, that they want.
    Of course, no SB yet so it isn't all peaches and cream but I'm not sure their approach to negotiations/FA has been the reason why they haven't gotten a Lombardi.
    Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
    Hope is not a strategy
    RIP

Comment

Originally posted by sfphillyfan
      What does it matter what we think about the Eagles FO... the question is how free agents view them. If they understand it's a business, then they also understand the Eagles will always make the BUSINESS decision over a loyalty decision. I can't recall a deal where the Eagles did the "good thing" instead of the "right thing". I mean, look, we were never gonna pay garcia $5M. But if we offered him say $2M - $2.5M and he shops around and gets a better deal, then fine... but we didnt even offer anything. I dunno man, I think Garcia SAVED THEIR ASSES last year when the entire town was ready to bail out on the last 6 games... i think that's worth something. But that's just me.

Remember when Jay Williams stupidly tore up his knee in a motorcycle accident? The Bulls paid him a couple of million even though they didn't need to. I think FA remember that stuff.
      Garcia had a lot of help in saving their asses last season...whose system was he running? Who gave him the plays to run? What OL was he working behind? Who had assembled the offensive weapons he worked with? Who stepped up their game when McNabb went down besides Garcia? How did the defense respond when McNabb went down?

He was not a savior...he is a very good backup QB who played well in a system that fitted his skills very well over a short period of time. In the playoffs, you could see teams had caught up to him IMO...

I do not believe a team has any special obligation to do some "good things" that do not make sense for them or do not help them...the goal is to win and that is what I want them to focus on. If some teams want to throw a player a bone or help them when they are down, that is fine.

I think the Eagles can be credited for keeping Runyan/Dawk and bringing back Douglas/Trot/Reed and holding onto Bucky and others through their injuries and creating a very friendly player environment and facilities etc.
      Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

And you don't think Garcia's performance deserved to be "thrown a bone"?

Look, I'm not one of those fans who think Garcia was the second coming of Montana or that we shouldve kept him at any price but he shouldve been thrown a bone for what he did. That's all i'm saying.

Comment

The corporate world is just a nasty place. In the last month I have seen about 20 of my longtime friends and co-workers laid off. Some that have ben with the company 20+ years. It's been absolutley murderous and heartless. Left me with some sleepless nights.......people I will miss....and am I next?? No loyalty, just business.

Remember several weeks back when I had that head-to-head with my boss about the company? Good timing, huh? They were just LOOKING for people to cut, for any reason. There's only one reason I'm still here...I produce numbers.

Trust me, there is no good PR that is coming from these layoffs. But that's the corporate world. if I got axed tomorrow, I would understand. I'd be pissed, but I'd understand. (I'd understand that I work for a bunch of heartless bastards, LOL!) And I would know if I went to work for another large cororation (insert another NFL Team) that it would be the same damned thing. Don't hate the player, hate the game. Isn't that what they say?

So yeah, it would have been nice to see them handle the PR end of the Garcia ting a bit better, but we understand what they did, and why they did it. They ultimately just made the right choice.
          http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Originally posted by sfphillyfan
            And you don't think Garcia's performance deserved to be "thrown a bone"?

Look, I'm not one of those fans who think Garcia was the second coming of Montana or that we shouldve kept him at any price but he shouldve been thrown a bone for what he did. That's all i'm saying.
            For what he was looking for and got? No...that is not a bone, that is a full dinner with dessert IMO.

If he was willing to take somewhere between 1.5-2M per, I would have considered it...he would not have been though since this is his last chance to cash in and is coming into the market as the "hot" item surrounded by dreck...

He is a 37 yr old backup QB...his track record before the 6 games last season was poor going back to probably 2002 when he had his last solid year...he has skills, he can help a team, but it has to be a very particular situation like it was here last season. If he starts in Tampa, I bet he struggles...if he had gone to Oakland he would have gotten killed.

-Andy Reid

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH
              The corporate world is just a nasty place. In the last month I have seen about 20 of my longtime friends and co-workers laid off. Some that have ben with the company 20+ years. It's been absolutley murderous and heartless. Left me with some sleepless nights.......people I will miss....and am I next?? No loyalty, just business.

Remember several weeks back when I had that head-to-head with my boss about the company? Good timing, huh? They were just LOOKING for people to cut, for any reason. There's only one reason I'm still here...I produce numbers.

Trust me, there is no good PR that is coming from these layoffs. But that's the corporate world. if I got axed tomorrow, I would understand. I'd be pissed, but I'd understand. (I'd understand that I work for a bunch of heartless bastards, LOL!) And I would know if I went to work for another large cororation (insert another NFL Team) that it would be the same damned thing. Don't hate the player, hate the game. Isn't that what they say?

So yeah, it would have been nice to see them handle the PR end of the Garcia ting a bit better, but we understand what they did, and why they did it. They ultimately just made the right choice.
              But, you and the players have no more loyalty to the teams either....if you or they got a better offer or job you and they would bolt asap...I would and have...

Garcia knew the score...he is not some innocent victim here...none of them are...loyalty is a two way street and there are roadblocks going both directions now...

-Andy Reid

Comment

Didn't the Eagles sorta "throw him a bone" by signing him in the first place at a fairly nice back up QB price?

It didn't take a mind reader to know that Garcia wanted a lot more han the Eagles were willing to pay for a back up QB--- as evidenced by what they did pay for a back up QB?

And I don't think it is all that uncommon anymore for a team losing a F/A to not make any formal offer until the market sort of establishs a price. Not sure did the Ravens offer a contract to Thomas? The Cards I know didn't to Davis? what about Smoot, was he offered a contract before he signed with the Skins?

I mean since when did doing your job, in the NFL, warrant anything more than the pay check you got? I mean did he do anything that he wasn't paid to do? Guess I just don't see where what he did,was that extraordinary that it deserved some sort of special treatment.

Comment

"But, you and the players have no more loyalty to the teams either....if you or they got a better offer or job you and they would bolt asap...I would and have... "

After 17 years here, I don't think that's the case for me. Security and familiarity mght be the main reasons. I HAVE been offered more money to go elsewhere, yet have remained. Also, I make "enough" money. Could have made more, but it's enough for me. I can feed my family. Perhaps I'm in the minority there, but it DOES happen.
                  http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH
                    "But, you and the players have no more loyalty to the teams either....if you or they got a better offer or job you and they would bolt asap...I would and have... "

After 17 years here, I don't think that's the case for me. Security and familiarity mght be the main reasons. I HAVE been offered more money to go elsewhere, yet have remained. Also, I make "enough" money. Could have made more, but it's enough for me. I can feed my family. Perhaps I'm in the minority there, but it DOES happen.
                    Good for you. I am currently in a similar situation too although I am not sure how you can be confident of security after seeing 20 of your associates hit the streets, some with more service time than you.

However, if I got blown out of the water (comparison is Garcia going from roughly 2M last year to 5M) I would definitely go without much thought. Basically, if someone doubled my salary, it would be hard to ignore.

The offers I have gotten so far from outside have caused my present employer to step up to keep me and the terms have not been that far apart...if we had been willing to pay Garcia 4M per, he might have stayed....but do we want to pay a backup QB 4M per?? I do not think that is a smart allocation of resources...

-Andy Reid

Comment

I'm NOT feeling that secure anymore. But at the time those higher offers were made, I was. One offer WAS close to twice my pay. But like Runyan who decided to go with the familiarity of Philly, and not wanting to disrupt his family, there ARE other circumstances that will make someone stay put as oppose to just going for the buck.

Comment

I don't think the Eagles owed Garcia squat. They basically pulled him off the scrap heap after his Detroit and Cleveland debacles. I don't think Garcia's phone was ringing off the hook with offers this time last year. Yea, he played damned good football, but he had an outstanding supporting cast. Honestly, if not for that little stretch run last season, does anyone think he'd be signing the kind of deal he just inked???

If anything Garica owes the Eagles for giving him an opportunity, and putting him in a position where he could get another decent pay day.

I also don't blame the Eagles for doing what they did. I've said it over and over, but every freaking one of us knows that if they brought Garcia back, there'd be a QB controversy in waiting. I don't think they wanted to risk that, and AJ is probably about as good a backup QB as you will find on an NFL roster these days anyway, even if he's not as good as Garcia, who is going to compete to start in TB.

Comment

Working...
                        X