Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the rules about rooting interest?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can understand if you grew up somewhere else but I will never understand anyone growing up in the Del Valley not being a total, flat out, fan of Philly teams. I know it is me and I know it is a sickness but it is life. I am a 'till death do us part kind of guy and it will take that for me to go to a different team.
    My wife and I will be married 31 years in a couple of weeks and it took a long time for her to understand that when I see a score and the Philly team is on the losing end I am not happy. Doesn't matter which team. I had to learn to control some of my hotheadedness as a young family man and have mellowed significantly over the last 20 years but all know that a losing score doesn't sit well.
    I spent 26 years traveling in the mil and my kids picked up different teams in different sports in different places. I can understand that cause they didn't have the daily exposure for one team their entire life. But that is about the only thing I can accept.
    Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
    Hope is not a strategy
    RIP

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle`
      I can understand if you grew up somewhere else but I will never understand anyone growing up in the Del Valley not being a total, flat out, fan of Philly teams. I know it is me and I know it is a sickness but it is life. I am a 'till death do us part kind of guy and it will take that for me to go to a different team.
      My wife and I will be married 31 years in a couple of weeks and it took a long time for her to understand that when I see a score and the Philly team is on the losing end I am not happy. Doesn't matter which team. I had to learn to control some of my hotheadedness as a young family man and have mellowed significantly over the last 20 years but all know that a losing score doesn't sit well.
      I spent 26 years traveling in the mil and my kids picked up different teams in different sports in different places. I can understand that cause they didn't have the daily exposure for one team their entire life. But that is about the only thing I can accept.
      NoDak's comments reflect my sentiments on being a "Fan", as distinguished from simply "Rooting" for a team. Being a "Fan", short for fanatic, is an emotional thing over which you have little conscious control. Simply "Rooting" for a team in a given situation, be it a single game, a season, or longer, is a conscious decision. I believe that the process of becoming a FAN typically occurs in childhood/adolescence, usually as a result of geographic proximity or a strong family influence.

I suggest that a good test of wether one is really a FAN or simply a decision-based "Rooter" is the level of joy you feel when your team wins and, conversely, the intensity of the pain when they lose. The bigger the game, the more intense the emotional reaction.

Another persuasive arguement for "Fanhood" being largely based on unconscious emotional attachment is the enormous number of diehard fans of all Philly teams. With a couple of noteable exceptions, what old-line city's fans have experienced more heartbreaking losses by their pro sports teams over the past 40-50 years than Philadelphia's. And yet, we keep coming back for more. If "Fanhood" was, instead, a matter of conscious decision based on affiliating with "Winners" , the Birds would have lots of fans, mostly 30 years and younger, but the Phils, Flyers and Sixers would have a combined total of approximately 47.

Like NoDak, I left the Philly area many years ago, for upstate NY. I "root" for the Bills, with no passion, but "root" passionatlely against all other NY/North Jersey teams...expect the Jets. I have mild affection for the Jets because they are the NY City football team that IS NOT the Giants. But MY TEAMS remain the Philly Four, and always will.

As for those people who claim allegiance to distant pro teams, with impressive winning traditions or current success, but who can offer no persuasive explanation for their devotion...geograhic proximity in early life, family influence, a significant bonding event, etc...my" theory" is that, here is someone that needs to identify with a winner to feel better about themselves. They're usually lightweights and can be dismissed as posers! I believe that "theory" holds up more often than not.

BTW, a corrollary to that theory is that all of us dyed-in-the-wool, regularly disappointed, media abused Philly fans are very special people, with unshakeable self-esteem and superior moral values who, based on our stalwart loyalty here on earth, will automatically be granted 50 yd line seats when we reach the Big Stadium In The Sky. "So we got that goin' for us!"

Comment

If you are a fan, IMO you don't jump ship unless ownership pulls an Irsay and moves your team. Fan for life.
        We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

NoDak and Tino hit the nail right on the head. I don't think I could add anything because they pretty much said it all, LOL.
          FRESH > cancer

I hate everything the Cowboys stand for. If you think they are America's team, then you support everything that is wrong with America. The excess, the greed, the lack of maturity, the lack of responsibility, the lack of control. - Luzinski's Gut

Comment

Working...
          X