• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Les Bowen provides some interesting info

Getting a sense of direction
    Hints of progress visible as Eagles minicamps conclude
    By LES BOWEN
    [email protected]

The next time the Eagles convene, a little more than a month from now at Lehigh, the answering of questions can truly begin.

The ever-more-extensive cycle of minicamps, which finally concluded yesterday for the Birds, doesn't really answer many questions, though it's been known to raise a few. Thanks to all the May and June drilling, rookies now will report to training camp July 20 with at least a basic grounding in the team's offensive or defensive system. Veterans will show up July 23 with a little rust shaken off, and maybe with a decent fix on the competition they face to retain their jobs.

"We had great progress by those young guys," coach Andy Reid said. "Those veteran guys were in the right frame of mind. They came out... they challenged each other and got some good work done."

What do we know now that we didn't know in early May, when the Birds got together for the first time since staggering away from the rubble of a 6-10 season?

Nothing earth-shattering. But we've picked up a few hints in some areas, foreshadowing of things that could happen in training camp. Here are a few of those:

• The Eagles do indeed seem to have several interchangeable-looking possession receivers, generally good-sized wideouts without great speed, as everyone suspected. We'll know more when they play some preseason games. Right now, it looks as if Reggie Brown will be carrying a pretty big load. But one option to spice up the meatloaf could be to use Brian Westbrook as a receiver even more than in the past, out of the backfield and split wide, since Ryan Moats seems to have a much better grasp of the offense now. It's early for crystal ball-gazing, but Moats could wind up running the ball as much as or more than Westbrook, with Westbrook perhaps setting running-back reception records.
    • Lito Sheppard really, really wants to make amends for 2005. The Birds' No. 1 corner was supposed to sit out this minicamp as he recovers from the ankle injury he suffered last Nov. 20. Sheppard decided he really needed to be on the field yesterday, so he took part in seven-on-seven and full-team workouts. "I thought I could do a little something. I just wanted to see where I was. [The medical staff] was cool with it. They just limited what I did," Sheppard said.

Reid said Sheppard will report early to Lehigh, with the rookies, for extra work to get ready for the preseason. Ditto wideout Todd Pinkston, whose recovery from Achilles' surgery on his right foot kept him out of team minicamp workouts. Pinkston said yesterday he also expects to be fine for Lehigh.

• Right now, the Birds seem deeper on both lines than they were last year. Left offensive tackle William "Tra" Thomas' absence from team workouts at this camp after going back on blood thinners was at least mildly troubling, but second-round rookie Winston Justice looked smooth and solid. Reid said yesterday that if he had to start camp without Thomas - though Thomas is expected to be OK - he would probably stick with Justice instead of moving Todd Herremans back to tackle from guard and subbing for Herremans. That's an indication that Justice has been impressive.

"He made progress. We threw a lot at him and got him in the mix there," Reid said.

Justice said playing in a pro-style college offense at USC has helped him.

"USC has a very complex offense, just like the Eagles do," Justice said. "Some of the plays are similar, you just need to match the name with the actual play."

Reid also touted the progress of Scott Young, a guard drafted in the fifth round last year from BYU who spent most of his rookie season on the Eagles' practice squad. "He looked like he made quite a bit of improvement," Reid said. Reid noted that Young didn't play much offensive line in college - he switched from nose tackle for his final season.

"Looking from the outside in, I never realized how much work was involved [in playing offensive line], how much technique is used," Young said. "Now I think I have a clear vision of what it's going to take."

On defense, coordinator Jim Johnson implied this week that first-round pick Brodrick Bunkley got off to a bit of a slow start at defensive tackle but came along toward the end. New defensive end Darren Howard is confident he can slide inside on passing downs, something that looks even more attractive with second-year defensive end Trent Cole showing strong progress. Jevon Kearse seems rejuvenated.

• Jeremy Bloom might be a bit of a project. The electric fifth-round rookie returner and wideout would certainly give a needed jolt of speed to both the return game and the receiving corps. But Bloom continues to be dogged by a hamstring problem as he tries to transition his body from skiing to football for the first time in 2 years. If the Eagles had a game tomorrow, Bruce Perry would return kicks.

SAM linebacker Dhani Jones and center Hank Fraley will have to fight hard at Lehigh to retain their starting roles. Jones will have to hold off Greg Richmond, Dedrick Roper and third-round rookie Chris Gocong. Fraley's main competition is Jamaal Jackson, whose size advantage (6-4, 330 vs. Fraley's 6-2, 300) might be crucial.

Gocong was held back by the NFL-NCAA agreement limiting minicamp participation for players from schools that haven't finished exams, but he showed up last week and made up for lost time.

"He did a nice job with the short period of time he was here," Reid said. "He did make progress, and again, I think that first 3 days of training camp [before the veterans arrive] will be beneficial to him, where he can get in and get some reps."

J.R. Reed's comeback might be more feasible than Correll Buckhalter's. Reed, coming back from peroneal nerve damage, proved everything he could prove in these limited workouts. Buckhalter, coming off his third knee surgery, was not able to participate.
    "We'll see... we need to see how much progress he makes in a month," Reid said.

It certainly sounds positive to me. I like all this good karma. I have a feeling that the tone of our season has already been set, and it's all good.

I'm also watching some of the other developments around the division. One thing I learned last year is that bad karma, or bad chemistry issues that start at this time of the year can stick with you throughout the season. So, when I see things like Burress' issues in NY, or Parcells dealing with the TO show, I am really glad it's them, and not us. They may say, "oh, it's early, it doesn't mean anything," and maybe not, but bad karma is a bitch.

Comment

Very encouraging reports except for Buckhalter. Man I wish we could get a for short yardage back that won't spend half the season on IR every year.
      Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
      Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

It's amazing also that Young is coming on strong. The guy is an animal in the gym and seems to put the same dedication into learning his new position. I can't believe we are FIVE deep in young, quality Gs.

Comment

"But one option to spice up the meatloaf could be to use Brian Westbrook as a receiver even more than in the past, out of the backfield and split wide, since Ryan Moats seems to have a much better grasp of the offense now. It's early for crystal ball-gazing, but Moats could wind up running the ball as much as or more than Westbrook, with Westbrook perhaps setting running-back reception records. "

Lotta assumptions, and even more pure speculation, IMHO.

People have speculated on Westy split out wide, but IMHO, it won't happen much or at least shouldn't since you lose the match up advantage with him out wide.

His advantage as a receiver,IMO, IS coming out of the backfield and that creates the mismatches!

Unless I see it happen in TC or hear the Eagles themselves talking about it, I think it is just Bowen rehashing some peoples wish list.

Comment

Re: Les Bowen provides some interesting info

Originally posted by stevemc
            On defense, coordinator Jim Johnson implied this week that first-round pick Brodrick Bunkley got off to a bit of a slow start at defensive tackle but came along toward the end.
            I wish they'd elaborate on what this means.

Comment

I wouldn't worry too much about that, swing. I'd venture a guess that it's taking him a while to get down what he's supposed to be doing. I'm thinking it's mental, not physical, and he'll be ready to go by the end of camp. It's early, and he is a rookie, afterall.

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN

Lotta assumptions, and even more pure speculation, IMHO.

People have speculated on Westy split out wide, but IMHO, it won't happen much or at least shouldn't since you lose the match up advantage with him out wide.

His advantage as a receiver,IMO, IS coming out of the backfield and that creates the mismatches!

Unless I see it happen in TC or hear the Eagles themselves talking about it, I think it is just Bowen rehashing some peoples wish list.
                Well - I think the speculation could be justified this year. Last year - they couldn't afford it so much because Moats didn't know the offense. The year prior? Dorsey Levens wasn't all that much of a running threat and yet Westbrook caught 73 balls. 2003 would have been a good time to utilize it but we're talking about Westbrook's second season with vets like Bucky & Duce on the squad.

Now is the time to utilize it. What I think may happen more often than putting him out wide in a set is to have the two in the backfield and then Westbrook goes in motion. A couple of quick handoffs to Moats in that formation keeps the defenese honest. Once that is established - I think they could be extremely effective in putting Westbrook in motion and capitalizing on mismatches based on the formations.

Comment

If Moats can hold onto the ball and pick up his blocking assignments, maybe. Don't get me wrong, I like the kid a lot. He just still has a lot of work to do before he can carry a heavy load.

Comment

What I think may happen more often than putting him out wide in a set is to have the two in the backfield and then Westbrook goes in motion. A couple of quick handoffs to Moats in that formation keeps the defenese honest. Once that is established - I think they could be extremely effective in putting Westbrook in motion and capitalizing on mismatches based on the formations. "
                    Ahh, with this I can agree, and said so many times last year.

But starting him our wide is foolish, IMO, your just giving the D a much easier time of it.

I think the combo of Westy and Moats in that backfield can open up soooooo many things and cause so many match up problems for almost any D.

The short game could be fabulous with Gaffney and Brown out wide, LJ coming off the line and Moats and Westy both coming out of the backfield,,,,,,,,,, if the big five up front can but even a little time, somebody will be open. It certainly would be preferable, IMO, to that empty backfield set they use.

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglebreath
                      It certainly sounds positive to me. I like all this good karma. I have a feeling that the tone of our season has already been set, and it's all good.

I'm also watching some of the other developments around the division. One thing I learned last year is that bad karma, or bad chemistry issues that start at this time of the year can stick with you throughout the season. So, when I see things like Burress' issues in NY, or Parcells dealing with the TO show, I am really glad it's them, and not us. They may say, "oh, it's early, it doesn't mean anything," and maybe not, but bad karma is a bitch.
                      EB or anyone else,

Could you please expand a little on "Burress' issues in NY". I haven't bothered going to any of the Giant's boards for months ( the homerism is too nauseating) and have read nothing in the paper about Burris. The guy has always impressed me as a self-absorbed A-hole, so I'm hoping some of his material is bubbling to the surface.

No intent to highjack the thread here...just hoping to hear a bit of bad news about the Giants.

Comment

Originally posted by tinopuno
                        Originally posted by Eaglebreath

EB or anyone else,

Could you please expand a little on "Burress' issues in NY". I haven't bothered going to any of the Giant's boards for months ( the homerism is too nauseating) and have read nothing in the paper about Burris. The guy has always impressed me as a self-absorbed A-hole, so I'm hoping some of his material is bubbling to the surface.

No intent to highjack the thread here...just hoping to hear a bit of bad news about the Giants.
                        Here is a start.....

http://www.theredzone.org/

then look in the VaGiants section.

Comment

MD, thanks for the linkage, because I didn't feel like looking it up. Apparently, Burress was unhappy when he got shut out in their final playoff game, and blew off the final team meeting. I don't think he has been participating in the offseason program either, instead opting to work out with Jeremy "I got this black eye in the weightroom, really..honest" Shockey in Fla. Naturally, the NY media is running with it.

Comment

Here is a start.....

http://www.theredzone.org/

then look in the VaGiants section.[/quote]

Thanks MD,

Tends to confirm my belief that it's "ALL about him" and his receiving totals. Reminds me a little of a head case who used to play for us, just can't think of his name.

Comment

Oh yea, as far as using Westbrook as a WR is concerned, and this is, of course, all predicated on Moats stepping up....IF Moats can become an equal threat to Westbrook running the football, that will open up all kinds of things. They can use Westbrook out of the backfield, or slide him into the slot, depending on the defense. There's lots of things they could do theoretically. It's up to the offensive minds to get the most out of them.

Think about it. Say you get some Bobby Tayloresque tackling CB (no offense FRESH), and you line Westbrook up as a WR out wide. You toss him that little quick out that they always used to throw to Pinky for no gain, and all Westbrook has to do is beat the corner, and it's off to the races. Would you want some corner trying to tackle Westbrook 1 on 1 in the open field??

I don't know that it would work, but my point is that there are a lot of possibilites, if Moats can establish himself as a threat.

Comment

Working...
                              X