My hopes for Kelly just went up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My hopes for Kelly just went up

From what I read in this one by Donnellon, I really like the way this guy thinks........

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/..._a_winner.html
    "Philly fans are great....It's the only place where you pull up on the bus and you've got the grandfather, the grandmother, the kids and the grandkids - everybody flicking you off. At other stadiums, they give you the thumbs-down. Here, they give you the middle finger.”
    — Michael Strahan

"No one likes us, no one likes us, no one likes us, we don’t care, we’re from Philly, F—-ing Philly, No one likes us, we don’t care!”
    - Jason Kelce with the best championship speech ever

Originally posted by balto-eaglefan View Post
    From what I read in this one by Donnellon, I really like the way this guy thinks........

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/..._a_winner.html
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

There is one fact about the Chip Kelly hiring. It has generated a ton of publicity for the Eagles and has created an excitement in a fan base wanting changes.

A splash hiring may not always succeed. But, it is an instant adrenalin boost. I was hoping initially that Kelly would be our choice, mainly to get the Eagles back on the front pages. However, I am really starting to believe in CK. I loved Andy. But, he obviously had no flexibility in his coaching style. CK appears to be a complete opposite.

Comment

Everything I've watched and read about Kelly leads me to belive that he has a brilliant football mind. I'm as optimistic about things right now as I've ever been.

Comment

What is a brilliant football mind? Seriously I keep hearing this. Are we saying that Chip Kelly is smarter than Andy Reid? Smarter than Bill Belecheat? I would hope any NFL head football coach has a brilliant football mind, being that there is only 32 of those positions in the world.

Plinyis right, the hiring of Kelly has given most of the fan base an adrenalin boost but that won't last long. As soon as we lose a game because we went for 2 with 10 minutes left in the first quarter and failed to make it and then lost the game by 4 points sitting with the ball at the end of the game in field goal range. Etc. Or go for it on 4th down at our own 20 yard line and don't convert etc.

The best thing Chip Kelly has going for him is he IS NOT Andy Reid andfor now that keeps people going.
          Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Originally posted by taz View Post
            What is a brilliant football mind? Seriously I keep hearing this. Are we saying that Chip Kelly is smarter than Andy Reid? Smarter than Bill Belecheat? I would hope any NFL head football coach has a brilliant football mind, being that there is only 32 of those positions in the world.

Plinyis right, the hiring of Kelly has given most of the fan base an adrenalin boost but that won't last long. As soon as we lose a game because we went for 2 with 10 minutes left in the first quarter and failed to make it and then lost the game by 4 points sitting with the ball at the end of the game in field goal range. Etc. Or go for it on 4th down at our own 20 yard line and don't convert etc.

The best thing Chip Kelly has going for him is he IS NOT Andy Reid andfor now that keeps people going.
            He developed a very innovative offensive system for starters. Say what you want about the inside/outside zone read scheme, and whether it will work in the NFL or not, but it is innovative, and it is, IMO brilliant. I will take that over someone who is simply regurgitating Bill Walsh's innovations long after defenses have caught up to them.

Don't take my word for it. Go over the fishduck, and look at the videos and read the documentation. His innovations, ability to scheme, ability to adjust, attention to detail, etc, is indicative of a brilliant football mind.

You can chose to believe whatever you want, I really don't give a crap. But Kelly has more going for him than you want to give him credit for.

I'm still waiting for you to tell me what's so gimmicky about his system.

Comment

I agree EB and have no doubt that we will move the ball next season. But as much of an inovater he is on offense, he is just as defficient defensively. That is the difference between Chip and Walsh. Walsh always had great defenses in Frisco. I don't know how he came up with them or who drafted the players, but he always had defense. I think Chip can be a prick too and make the hard decision, which is something else that he may have in common with Walsh. I'm hoping anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                That is the difference between Chip and Walsh. Walsh always had great defenses in Frisco. I don't know how he came up with them or who drafted the players, but he always had defense.
                No idea who scouted the players or who the position coaches were......but Walsh's DC the first year they won the SB was Chuck Studley. George Seifert was their defensive backs coach at the time.

1983 - George Seifert took over as DC.
                1983-1988 - 49ers in top 10 for fewest points allowed. Won 2 SB's, appeared in one other NFCCG.
                1989-1993 - Seifert head coach, Bill McPherson new DC. Won SB, appeared in three other NFCCG's.
                1994 - Ray Rhodes DC, won SB.
                1995 - Pete Carroll DC.

For sure, they were still using Seifert's defensive scheme after he became the head coach.
                After Seifert, Steve Mariucci took over as coach. Marty Mornhinweg was their new offensive coordinator.
                "Philly fans are great....It's the only place where you pull up on the bus and you've got the grandfather, the grandmother, the kids and the grandkids - everybody flicking you off. At other stadiums, they give you the thumbs-down. Here, they give you the middle finger.”
                — Michael Strahan

"No one likes us, no one likes us, no one likes us, we don’t care, we’re from Philly, F—-ing Philly, No one likes us, we don’t care!”
                - Jason Kelce with the best championship speech ever

Comment

Eaglebreath I have been watching Oregon football since Kelly got there. His offense in college was a great college offense. No doubt about it.The thing most of you are missing as Eagles60 alluded to is this, in the NFL there are three facits to the football game, offense, defense and special teams. Everyone has blinders on to the fact that Kelly's defenses have been well below average in college. His special teams were ok. Too many times did I watch Kelly put his defense in poor situations because he would do something like go for it on a 4th and 5 at his own 45 yard line if you don't make it now you are a stones throw away from giving up points. Do that in the NFL and you will lose. Call it a gimmic, call it stupidity just because it worked in college doesn't make the guy a Genuis.
                  There are certainly things I think will tax some defenses Kelly does, the pure speed that his offense is run at how quickly they get to the line will be a challenge. When the Patriots did that this year it challenged defenses. However the Patriots would tax most teams with Brady at QB.
                  In college alot of what he did in my opinion worked because the other team simply didn't have the speed to keep up with him. In the pro's the team on the other side of the ball will be conditioned as well as the Eagles, and in most cases be as fast as Eagles. The difference between teams are not as great as in college. Once again my opinion.
                  As I have said many times if Chip Kelly was our offensive coordinator I would have been thrilled. The fact that he is the head coach, I have not liked a single thing he has done. Dennis Dixon, come on now 28yr old practice squad player, resigning Michael Vick, Billy Flippin Davis as the defensive coach. All of it screems of a guy who has zero NFL experience. BTW before I hear Gamble that was not his, that was Howies move
                  Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Originally posted by taz View Post
                    Eaglebreath I have been watching Oregon football since Kelly got there. His offense in college was a great college offense. No doubt about it.The thing most of you are missing as Eagles60 alluded to is this, in the NFL there are three facits to the football game, offense, defense and special teams. Everyone has blinders on to the fact that Kelly's defenses have been well below average in college. His special teams were ok. Too many times did I watch Kelly put his defense in poor situations because he would do something like go for it on a 4th and 5 at his own 45 yard line if you don't make it now you are a stones throw away from giving up points. Do that in the NFL and you will lose. Call it a gimmic, call it stupidity just because it worked in college doesn't make the guy a Genuis.
                    There are certainly things I think will tax some defenses Kelly does, the pure speed that his offense is run at how quickly they get to the line will be a challenge. When the Patriots did that this year it challenged defenses. However the Patriots would tax most teams with Brady at QB.
                    In college alot of what he did in my opinion worked because the other team simply didn't have the speed to keep up with him. In the pro's the team on the other side of the ball will be conditioned as well as the Eagles, and in most cases be as fast as Eagles. The difference between teams are not as great as in college. Once again my opinion.
                    As I have said many times if Chip Kelly was our offensive coordinator I would have been thrilled. The fact that he is the head coach, I have not liked a single thing he has done. Dennis Dixon, come on now 28yr old practice squad player, resigning Michael Vick, Billy Flippin Davis as the defensive coach. All of it screems of a guy who has zero NFL experience. BTW before I hear Gamble that was not his, that was Howies move
                    First off, outside of a couple of players, Kelly's teams weren't faster than anyone else's roster. That is a misnomer. What they do is play fast. They prioritize playing fast, and at a high tempo. They play fast because they are coached to play fast.

Second, I am happy that they got a guy with zero NFL experience. I'm sorry, but the next Paul Brown, the next Bill Walsh, that guy is not going to be found among the re-treads. I want a guy who is innovative, and creates his own system, that the league has to adjust to. Yes, it is high-risk, but I applaud this move.

Third, Kelly puts his defenses in a tough spot?? I've been watching AirReid for 14 years. Nuf said.

Personally, I think you are down on the guy because he has no experience, and he took risks at Oregon. As I said, everything I've watched and read indicates to me that he is very smart, innovative, and has the necessary talent to be successful at ANY level.

We'll see who's right.

Comment

I like bringing in Kelley. What I don't like is that he brought alot of his defensive assistants with him. I would have loved if they had gone after Singletary to help the defense in some capacity. The Eagles were a "stale" football team the last 2 years, and we should be anything but this year. I'm thinking Demaris Johnson might have an increased role this year. I'm not at all sold on the fumbler Bryce Brown, but Deon Lewis and Chris Polk could also be nice contributers. And trading Foles makes no sense to me. The QB running thing by Oregon's QB is being overstated IMO. I've seen them alot, and that's not a big part of their game. QB mobility helps, and it's not like Foles is a statue back there. The more that I hear about Kelley, the more that I like. I think that he's the type of guy that can look DRC in the face and say "play football kid or hit the road".

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                        I like bringing in Kelley. What I don't like is that he brought alot of his defensive assistants with him. I would have loved if they had gone after Singletary to help the defense in some capacity. The Eagles were a "stale" football team the last 2 years, and we should be anything but this year. I'm thinking Demaris Johnson might have an increased role this year. I'm not at all sold on the fumbler Bryce Brown, but Deon Lewis and Chris Polk could also be nice contributers. And trading Foles makes no sense to me. The QB running thing by Oregon's QB is being overstated IMO. I've seen them alot, and that's not a big part of their game. QB mobility helps, and it's not like Foles is a statue back there. The more that I hear about Kelley, the more that I like. I think that he's the type of guy that can look DRC in the face and say "play football kid or hit the road".
                        here you go 60,maybe this will help

Kelly's Oregon group brings familiarity to Eagles

Defensive line coach Jerry Azzinaro is one of five coaches that Chip Kelly brought to the Eagles with him from Oregon. (USA Today Images)

They know exactly what every glance means, every hand gesture, every silent stare.

They speak Chip Kelly’s language, and they know what he wants before he even says anything.

They’re Kelly’s Oregon guys, and they’re a big part of his first NFL coaching staff.

“It was one piece of the puzzle you didn’t have to try to figure out,” said Eagles defensive line coach Jerry Azzinaro, who spent the last four years in the same role under Kelly at the University of Oregon. “They had been on a four-year interview with us, so it was just one piece of the puzzle that you didn’t have to concern yourself with.”

Kelly brought five coaches with him from Eugene: Azzinaro, assistant defensive line coach Erik Chinander, assistant special teams coach Matt Harper, assistant defensive backs coach Todd Lyght and assistant offensive line coach Greg Austin.

Harper, Azzinaro and Lyght were with Kelly his entire four-year tenure as head coach at Oregon. Chinander and Austin came to Eugene a year later.

Kelly said he knew as soon as he decided to take the Eagles’ job that he wanted to bring a bunch of guys with him to Philly.

“That was really important to me to get a bunch of guys in here that understood me and really kind of built it from the bottom up,” he said. “And Eric and Todd [Lyght], Matt Harper and Greg Austin are guys that are young coaches at Oregon that have been with me a couple of years and understood how I wanted things done and what my vision was.

“I knew I was going to hire coordinators that were NFL guys that haven't had the opportunity to work with me before. I have a tendency to talk really fast and I want things to be efficient. But I also know that I may forget to say something, and Pat Shurmur can go to Greg Austin and say, ‘What did he mean by that?’ Or the same thing with Dave Fipp and Matt Harper for those young guys.

“Now I can put together guys with NFL experience coming here, and those guys can say, ‘This is what coach means, this is how we operate.’”

And the Eagles will operate differently than they ever have before.

Kelly likes to practice at Warp speed -- the same way he wants to play -- and that will be an adjustment not just for the players but for the coaches who haven’t worked under Kelly before.

“We know exactly what type of tempo he wants to run at practice, and we’ll be able to get everything moving exactly the way he wants it,” said Lyght, the former All-Pro cornerback with the Rams.

“The key for us is going to be get a lot of reps at practice and go at a high tempo. We know exactly the type of tempo that he wants and that way we can help bring the other coaches along and get them up to speed.

“I think having us here gives Chip a good foundation for exactly what he wants. Chip has a great vision for this program and where he wants it to go, and we want to develop this program into a championship-caliber team that can compete and win every time that we step on the field.

“The guys he brought with him, they’re exceptional coaches who know exactly what coach Kelly wants.”

Other than Azzinaro, the four other Oregon coaches are all assistants under a veteran position coach -- Chinander under Azzinaro, Harper under special teams coordinator Dave Fipp, Austin under offensive line coach Jeff Stoutland and Lyght under secondary coach John Lovett.

So they get the opportunity to continue to learn their craft, while at the same time helping Kelly transition from college to the pros.

“Chip is a smart guy, a mentor to me and all the guys he brought with him and all the guys he didn’t,” Austin said. “We all understand the things that made us successful at Oregon, and we’re all here to help him replicate that success here.”

Very few people have won a Super Bowl as a head coach without ever having played or coached in the NFL. Jimmie Johnson did it in Dallas, and then Barry Switzer did it with Johnson’s guys, but that’s it.

It’s a short list.

Whether Kelly’s system will translate to the NFL remains to be seen, but guys like Azzinaro, Lyght, Harper, Chinander and Austin have been part of one of the most successful college programs in recent years, and Kelly believes they can duplicate that success 2,900 miles to the east.

“Those guys are outstanding coaches and they're going to be rising stars in this profession,” Kelly said. “They're smart, they're intelligent. I don't have to worry about what time you're supposed to be in the office, because we all challenge each other and compete with each other to who can get in first in the morning and who can leave last.

“When you have to worry about guys doing clock watching, you hired the wrong guys, and I didn't with those guys.”

Kelly went 46-7 in four years at Oregon, including 36-4 the last three years with Rose Bowl and Fiesta Bowl wins. All seven of those losses came to nationally-ranked teams.
                        These guys are used to winning and understand exactly what’s made Kelly’s program work. They’re here to help him do it again.

“Those guys have coached in a lot of big football games,” said Azzinaro, who also carries the assistant head coach title. “It’s nice to have some guarantees in life, and those guys are guarantees.”
                        We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Working...
                        X