PFT: Banner on Garcia Situation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PFT: Banner on Garcia Situation

I am sick and tired of this shit being spewed that McNabb was somehow jealous of Garcia or did not want him here....I swear I will never read PFT ever again and I encourage everyone to boycott their ass....thank you.

BANNER ADDRESSES GARCIA SITUATION

At a time when many Eagles fans are fuming about the failure of the team to engage in serious negotiations with former backup quarterback Jeff Garcia, team president Joe Banner has addressed the situation in an interview with NBC 10 in Philadelphia.

"Jeff was anxious to explore free agency, as he said many times in many interviews, including going on Jay Leno and saying it. So, that's what he wanted to do," Banner said. "Whatever version of the story may be out there now, he was pretty clear and pretty public about that, and he's getting the chance to do that now.

"That was really the key factor, and I don't fault them because I would have done the exact same thing in his shoes, but that was kind of a decision that left us having to make some decisions to protect ourselves in the long-run at that position."

But the fact remains that Garcia would have considered returning to Philly for less money than he might have gotten elsewhere. With a two-year deal having a base value of $10 million in hand, the question then is how much less would have Garcia have taken -- and would the Eagles have paid him that amount?

The problem, as we see it, is that any deal given to Garcia would have had to show sufficient respect to starter Donovan McNabb. If Garcia were to be the backup, then Garcia should only be getting backup money.

Even if Garcia would have taken only $4 million per year, it's unlikely that the Eagles would have paid that much. Indeed, current backup A.J. Feeley will receive, we've learned, salaries of $800,000 in 2007, $900,000 in 2008, $1.3 million in 2009, and $1.8 million in 2010.

So, as we see it, the Eagles were in a no-win situation. If they had done the dance with Garcia, their interest would have been used as leverage elsewhere. The smarter choice was to pull out early, as they did.

Still, based on the way that Garcia played in 2006 and given McNabb's recent history of being unable to get through a full season without having one or more body parts bust, the Eagles would have been even wiser to pay Garcia to keep him around.

And that brings us back to the reality that the Eagles didn't want him there anymore, because McNabb didn't want him there anymore. No matter how many denials are issued by McNabb or by the team, we firmly believe that McNabb privately resented the success that the team had without him, and the adoration that was showered upon a backup who almost got the team as far as McNabb ever has.
    Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

What has you so upset about this article, VFK? Theyclearly state that this is what they "believe". It's the writers opinion, not presented as fact. He's as likely wrong as right, but...big deal??
    http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Ah yeah the old WIP fodder, its all McNabb's fault.
      Forget that signing 37yr old QB's for big money (2yrs 10 mill plus incentives that he can reach 14 mill is big money) is just bad business. Forget that AJ Feely is just as good if not better than Garcia (I know my opinion but Feely was in a bad situation in Miami, he has shown he clearly can play in this system)Lets not forget just how bad Garcia was the three years prior to getting here. Was that a mirage or was the last 8 games of last year a mirage? The chances are pretty good that Garcia is much closer to the QB of Cleveland and Detroit than he is the QB of the Eagles last year. Oh yeah last thing, WE ARE TALKING ABOUT THE FRIGEN BACKUP QB HERE, NOT THE STARTER THE BACKUP.

But its all McNabb's fault. The price of Oil McNabb's Fault. School Taxes in Pennslyvania McNabb's fault. War in Iraq McNabb's fault. The fact that my dog took a shit in the rug in the middle of the night MCNABB"S FAULT. Everything that goes wrong in the world we should just blame it on McNabb.
      Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

taz, I can't see how McNabb is responsible for your dog's poo-poo problems. You are probably being a it of an extremist there.
        http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH
          taz, I can't see how McNabb is responsible for your dog's poo-poo problems. You are probably being a it of an extremist there.
          My Dogs name is McNabb

Comment

LMFAO!!!!!!

Comment

taz - you're way off here. Sorry to pee on your parade but none of the problems with the Eagles are McNabb's fault. They're all Mama McNabb's fault!
              Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
              Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Mcnabb didn't want Garcia to go ... Andy wanted Garcia to go.

And go he did.

Comment

Here's the deal. The eagles did EVERYTHING right with regard to the Garcia situation except one: PR. I think everyone understands it's the right thing to do when you analyze it. But how many people will analyze the whole thing? What happens in the end is that the perception that the Eagles use players and then drop em when their time is up has been added to.

PR is a big part of your marketing and your free agent courting.

By the way, "show respect to McNabb"?? Wtf does that have to do with it. It's not like they were gonna pay Jeff $8M. I think McNabb is pretty comfy with his $115M contract and knows he's the alpha dog.

Comment

I think that people in the FO probably were considering the fact that bringing back Garcia could set the stage for a QB controversy. That at least had to be something of consideration when making a decision on bringing Garcia back. The media, and a lot of the fans make a$$es out of themselves on a regular basis to begin with, and you know they'd be beating the drum for Garica every time McNabb threw an incomplete pass.

I would have liked to have Garcia back, but at least we don't have to worry about that now.

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglebreath
                      I think that people in the FO probably were considering the fact that bringing back Garcia could set the stage for a QB controversy. That at least had to be something of consideration when making a decision on bringing Garcia back. The media, and a lot of the fans make a$$es out of themselves on a regular basis to begin with, and you know they'd be beating the drum for Garica every time McNabb threw an incomplete pass.

I would have liked to have Garcia back, but at least we don't have to worry about that now.
                      You are right but now that we chose Feeley over Garcia, it means that everytime McNabb throws an incomplete pass, the WIPers will be calling for Feeley. "WELL? WHY THE HELL DID WE SIGN THIS GUY OVER GARCIA IF HE CAN'T PLAY? BOOOOOOO!"

Comment

Originally posted by sfphillyfan
                        Originally posted by Eaglebreath

You are right but now that we chose Feeley over Garcia, it means that everytime McNabb throws an incomplete pass, the WIPers will be calling for Feeley. "WELL? WHY THE HELL DID WE SIGN THIS GUY OVER GARCIA IF HE CAN'T PLAY? BOOOOOOO!"
                        Unfortantely you are absolutely correct on this one sfphillyfan. Its the reason why I stopped listening to WIP. Too many people with zero knowledge of the game and how its played in the salary cap era.

Comment

Well to be fair, a huge majority of morons don't actually listen or call into WIP. I just call them WIPers as a whole.

Comment

I have a question for you guys.

What ever happened to Freddy Mitchell?

Now .. I know, I know ... Freddie sucked .. he was a bum ... yea .. yea but ... what happened to him?

Freddie had 2 big problems.

1. He was drafted too high ... and that wasn't his fault.

2. He didn't see the ball enough .. whether you think it was because he shouldn't have or not .. that's true.

But what did Freddie do that made him dissapear?

Comment

Talked too much.

Comment

Working...
                              X