Music Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Music Thread

VFK & I enjoy discussing music so I thought I'd start a thread to discuss whatever music interests may be out there.

Some recent reviews:

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Stadium Arcadium is decent. There are some fabulous songs on it but a double disc of 28 similarly sounding tunes is overkill. The sum of the parts is greater than the whole.

Pearl Jam - Pretty good - their best stuff in years but to me - that's not saying much

Gnarls Barkley - great, fun CD. I call it the Gorillaz meet Outkast

Re: Music Thread

Originally posted by stevemc
    Red Hot Chili Peppers - Stadium Arcadium is decent. There are some fabulous songs on it but a double disc of 28 similarly sounding tunes is overkill. The sum of the parts is greater than the whole.
    Really, I was afraid of this; haven't heard the whole album yet but I did like the first single Dani California (and the video is cool too).
    Whatcha Gonna Do Brother, When the Eagles run wild on you?

Comment

Radiohead is on tour but if you're a fan, you better get on Ticketmaster as soon as they go on sale. The two shows out here in the bay area sold out in 5 mins and they limited to 2 tix per show..

If anyone likes the White Stripes, Jack White's side project the Raconteurs just released their album.

Comment

Originally posted by sfphillyfan
        Radiohead is on tour but if you're a fan, you better get on Ticketmaster as soon as they go on sale. The two shows out here in the bay area sold out in 5 mins and they limited to 2 tix per show..

If anyone likes the White Stripes, Jack White's side project the Raconteurs just released their album.
        Funny Vin - I have comments for both.

I'm seeing Radiohead a week from today at the Tower Theater. I can't wait!

Just bought the Raconteurs album this AM and am listening to it now. It's very good for a first listen.

Comment

Radiohead at the Tower will be absolutely amazing. I'm surprised they're playing such a small venue.

They're playing the Greek out here, which is much better than a big arena but it's not as intimate as the Tower.

By the way, Radiohead is easily one of the top 5 concerts I've ever been to.

Comment

I need to go out and get that Raconteurs album. I sort of dismissed the White Stripes at first, but after going back and listening more I've found that I like them a lot - plus Brendan Benson, the other primary member of the Raconteurs, has been an under-the-radar favorite of mine for a while.
            The definition of insanity is to continually repeat the same action and expect different results.

Thus the Redskins and their fans are, by definition, insane.

Comment

I didn't particularly like the last White Stripes album but White Blood Cells and Elephant are two of my favorite albums of all time. Particularly White Blood Cells. Every song on that album is good except for I Smell a Rat or whatever.

Jack White might be a weirdo but he's damn good.

By the way, it's a 180 but I love Jenny Lewis and the Watson Twins album. Rabbit Fur Coat is constantly on rotation.

Comment

Vin - the Jenny Lewis album has been on my radar for some time. I saw an Austin City Limits of her with Rilo Kiley that intrigued me, her back-up vocals on the Postal Service record added to my interest and I really like her single "Rise Up with Fists".

Comment

While we're doing music recommendations, I think the Rhett Miller CD kicks ass. And they've been getting way too much press but Clap Your Hands Say Yeah's album *really* is that good.

Comment

Originally posted by sfphillyfan
                    While we're doing music recommendations, I think the Rhett Miller CD kicks ass. And they've been getting way too much press but Clap Your Hands Say Yeah's album *really* is that good.
                    Agreed on Clap Your Hands Say Yeah. It is one of the best albums of last year.

I saw them at the TLA and watched the show right next to the lead singer's family (he's from Philly). It was a fantastic show.

Comment

Is it that I'm getting older, or that I just listen to different stuff, because I haven't heard of half of that.

Anyone like something in the realm of Thievery Corporation or Nightmares on Wax?
                      I have never done steroids. Period. Well, not today, anyway.

Comment

I'm not so sure that you're getting older, trufresh.. it might be me getting much older. Clap Your Hands is about the hippest band I lsiten to. Jenny Lewis is very mellow.

Comment

trufresh - if you like Theivery Corporation - then alot of what we're talking about would suit you.

Comment

Thanks for starting this steve...

I listened to the Pearl Jam and was left cold to be honest...it sounded really flat, but then Ten is my standard and that may be unfair...

Have not bought or heard much lately...but their are a couple of good releases coming soon and the Jam on the River is going to be fun this weekend..
                            Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

I've listened to all these, except for the Pearl Jam (never been a fan, much like U2, I never understood all the hype).

Rabbit Fur Coat is very nice, a lot like Neko Case, who I love.

Gnarls Barkley is entertaining, would be better if the Gorillaz hadn't already done it. I do like Cee-Lo, so it gets props for that.

Clap Your Hands Say Yeah is a great listen, thanks for the recommendation.

Here's some stuff I just gave a listen to:
                              Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Show Your Bones. A step up from Fever to Tell, much more polished, which I think is a good thing.

Cat Power - The Greatest. I really like Cat Power, but this album is not nearly as edgy or dark as past releases. That said, she has an incredible voice, and I would recommend this to anyone, fan of hers or not.

Sia - Colour the Small One. Nice release from the female lead of Zero 7. Six Feet Under Fans will recognize "Breathe Me" from the series finale ending sequence. The Four Tet remix of this track is especially nice. Great rainy day music.

Beth Orton - Comfort of Strangers. The first track "worms" is very catchy, but the album peaks there. Not her best work, but worth getting nonetheless.
                              I have never done steroids. Period. Well, not today, anyway.

Comment

Working...
                              X